Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 23, 2024, 06:01:24 pm

Author Topic: Electromagnetic spectrum  (Read 1115 times)  Share 

jashaan

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Electromagnetic spectrum
« on: November 10, 2019, 08:28:48 pm »
Hi guys,
Do we need to know the exact wavelengths in the electromagnetic spectrum? I.e. which wavelength range infrared falls under etc?

Theodric_Ironfist

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +3
Re: Electromagnetic spectrum
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 08:52:37 pm »
+4
It’s hard to give exact numbers or ranges. Best to just include one of the many decent EM spectrum charts on your reference. You should have an idea of the ranges, and the order of types in increasing energy though. I doubt VCAA would ask for a specific number...

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
Re: Electromagnetic spectrum
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 08:57:13 pm »
+2
Hey there! No, not at all — if you need the exact wavelength for anything, it'll be provided to you (or rather the means of finding it will be provided to you). However it'd definitely be handy to know the order of where they lie in the spectrum. To quote from the study design:

Quote from: page 44
compare the wavelength and frequencies of different regions of the electromagnetic spectrum, including radio, microwave, infrared, visible, ultraviolet, x-ray and gamma, and identify the distinct uses each has in society

As long as you know where it'd fall on the spectrum and how this changes energy and whatnot, you'll be fine. Definitely a good suggestion from Theodric_Ironfist to have one on your data sheet — I had one on my sheet.
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢