Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 08:07:14 am

Author Topic: 99.85 ATAR, tutoring for english (raw 47) and literature (raw 49).  (Read 494 times)  Share 

phuynh01

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Hello,

As you know, English (or Literature/EngLang) is the only compulsory subject in VCE, which means that you will have to do it whether or not you like it, whether or not you’re any good at it.

Coincidentally, the English subjects are one of the few subjects that you can’t get better at by yourself. Sure, you read or watch the texts, and you teach yourself the content, and you can read the Insight guides and the sample essays on ATARNotes, but at the end of the day, it’s not your knowledge that’s being tested in the exam, it’s your ability to transcribe that knowledge onto the page in the space of an hour or so. The only way you can get better at that is by writing essays, getting feedback, and then writing more essays.

Unfortunately, as someone who went through Year 12 last year, our education system doesn't support you. In 2017, the average Australian high school class size was 22.2 students. That’s 22 students, each writing one text response, one comparison and one language analysis. That’s 66 essays for ONE teacher to mark. At larger schools (which mine was), teachers had 2 or 3 classes - that’s anywhere between 132 and 198 essays for ONE person. Your essay will take WEEKS, if not MONTHS to get corrected.

A friend of mine who graduated a few years ago said that as it got towards the exam period, her teacher flat out told her, “Sophia, stop giving me essays, I can’t correct them all.” This is not an uncommon experience.

I graduated Year 12 last year, with an ATAR of 99.85. I scored a raw 47 in English (top 0.9%) and a raw 49 in Literature (top 0.4%). This year, I’m offering tutoring for those two subjects (pick one, or even both if you’re doing both), for any texts. If you’re willing to put in the hard work, then I’m willing to support you fully. Here’s what we’re looking at:

- Detailed notes for each text
- Unique and complex ideas that will differentiate you from the pack
- Endless topic sentences and practice language analyses
- Sample essays to go with sample topics
- Hand-picked professional analyses from reputable literary critics (especially important if you are doing Shakespeare)

And most importantly:

- ESSAYS CORRECTED FASTER THAN THE THREE WEEKS IT WILL TAKE YOUR TEACHER + A DETAILED DISCUSSION OF WHAT YOU SHOULD DO NEXT TIME.

I promise that I can get back any essay you send me by the next lesson, as long as it’s sent prior to 48 hours - I will maintain this even during the hectic exam period. That is, if your lessons are on Wednesday the 5th and the 12th, then any essays sent from between Tuesday 4th and Monday the 10th will be corrected, returned, and discussed in detail on the 12th. To make sure I keep this promise, I’ll be taking a low number of students, and working outside of tutoring hours intensively.

I’m charging $50 an hour, and I can come to your place, or a local library.

If you’re interested, you an email me at [email protected], or text me at 0434 082 637.

Best of luck this year!

Paul
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 05:22:41 pm by PhoenixxFire »
Class of 2019, ATAR of 99.85. Currently tutoring in English (raw 47) and Literature (raw 49). DM for more details if interested.