Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 04:04:16 am

Author Topic: Informality and Australian Identity  (Read 2413 times)  Share 

kat05

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Informality and Australian Identity
« on: January 08, 2020, 05:08:27 pm »
Hello,
We have to write an essay that is based upon Australian identity is represented by informal language. I am not too sure what modern examplesIcould possibly use for one of my paragraphs being--> Australian identity is about acceptance and laid back and how informal language enables us to look at one another equally, but I can't find a strong modern current example. Do I necessarily need one or would a quote and a few things about metalanguage do?

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Informality and Australian Identity
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 07:42:01 pm »
+2
You could look at things like politicians using slang and wanting nicknames (Albo, Scommo) etc. and how these are used to reduce social distance between politicians and constituents. There is of course a balance here: sometimes it's considered inappropriate for politicians to use laid-back language as this may be seen as down-playing serious situations and they do still want to be viewed as authoritative.

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +154
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 12:11:24 am »
+2
Hi Kat,

the number one thing to remember about EngLang essays (or any essay to be honest) is that evidence and examples are crucial in supporting your point, and can often be the difference between a 'B' or an 'A' essay.

In terms of AusE and Identity, I think a really good example (in addition to what Bri said) is any form of promotional adverts (eg. TV, Radio, newspapers or billboards) that feature in the Australian mainstream. For example, McDonalds ran a promotional activity in January 2019, in the lead-up to Australia day where they put up billboards with lexis emulating the typical connected speech processes that are akin to the 'Aussie' broad accent (eg. Qwarter Pownda). You could argue that since McDonalds aimed this promotion at the Australian public, they are attempting to align themselves with favoured conventions, thus informality is seen to be accepted due to Australia's egalitarian values. However, this is one interpretation of that example, you could take a few others with it.

So, whilst you couldn't use that one specifically (must be 2020 onward for the exam), look out for such promotions (eg. Australia Day ads, more company adverts etc.) and pepper them into your essays. That's only one form of 'informality' too. I'd highly suggest looking into other examples such as the 'views on and use of profanity in Australia' (google 'Yahya Tuameh' for a great example of that one) as well as any form of sociolect, including ethnolect use in Australian society. Indigenous Languages are another great one, albeit less prevalent, however I found an example and used it in my exam, and I honestly think it saved my essay.

Hope this helps!
2018 - 2019 (VCE): English Language, Maths Methods, Legal Studies, Global Politics, Business Management (2018), Philosophy
2020 - 2024: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash University

kat05

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 03:53:40 pm »
You could look at things like politicians using slang and wanting nicknames (Albo, Scommo) etc. and how these are used to reduce social distance between politicians and constituents. There is of course a balance here: sometimes it's considered inappropriate for politicians to use laid-back language as this may be seen as down-playing serious situations and they do still want to be viewed as authoritative.

Thank you, it seems much clearer now! Also, on a side note, since we are talking about informal language, how do you explain how the features of informal language are informal. For e.g., how is using too many exclamation marks informal (how do I explain that?)

Hi Kat,

the number one thing to remember about EngLang essays (or any essay to be honest) is that evidence and examples are crucial in supporting your point, and can often be the difference between a 'B' or an 'A' essay.

In terms of AusE and Identity, I think a really good example (in addition to what Bri said) is any form of promotional adverts (eg. TV, Radio, newspapers or billboards) that feature in the Australian mainstream. For example, McDonalds ran a promotional activity in January 2019, in the lead-up to Australia day where they put up billboards with lexis emulating the typical connected speech processes that are akin to the 'Aussie' broad accent (eg. Qwarter Pownda). You could argue that since McDonalds aimed this promotion at the Australian public, they are attempting to align themselves with favoured conventions, thus informality is seen to be accepted due to Australia's egalitarian values. However, this is one interpretation of that example, you could take a few others with it.

So, whilst you couldn't use that one specifically (must be 2020 onward for the exam), look out for such promotions (eg. Australia Day ads, more company adverts etc.) and pepper them into your essays. That's only one form of 'informality' too. I'd highly suggest looking into other examples such as the 'views on and use of profanity in Australia' (google 'Yahya Tuameh' for a great example of that one) as well as any form of sociolect, including ethnolect use in Australian society. Indigenous Languages are another great one, albeit less prevalent, however I found an example and used it in my exam, and I honestly think it saved my essay.

Hope this helps!

This is a great outline! Has helped me a lot :)

Mod edit: Merged double post
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 03:57:32 pm by Bri MT »

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +154
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 03:59:30 pm »
Thank you, it seems much clearer now! Also, on a side note, since we are talking about informal language, how do you explain how the features of informal language are informal. For e.g., how is using too many exclamation marks informal (how do I explain that?)
Informal language, whilst not being strictly non-standard, often aligns with the 'non-standard'. Thus, with (eg. a couple of exclamation marks following a sentence), you could say that it is part of let's say, a football commentary, where the audience are laypeople and therefore a heightened formality would be unsuitable in building rapport.

That's the hardest (and most interesting) thing about EngLang, it's so hard to generalise, because every different text/transcript has its own niche.
2018 - 2019 (VCE): English Language, Maths Methods, Legal Studies, Global Politics, Business Management (2018), Philosophy
2020 - 2024: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash University

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 04:05:53 pm »
+2

Glad I could help!

To address your example, using multiple exclamation marks would be a non-standard use of punctuation. More formal texts tend to deviate from Standard Australian English much less frequently than more informal texts. You should also make sure you're aware of other features that can help you analyse the register of a text. For example, formal texts are more likely to employ archaisms, use syntactic patterning, and be written in passive voice.

As Jimmmy has acknowledged when you discuss this it's important to consider how formality relates to the social purpose & function of the text.

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask :)