Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 08, 2024, 10:44:15 pm

Author Topic: angular momentum  (Read 3264 times)  Share 

/0

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +45
angular momentum
« on: November 13, 2009, 01:25:57 pm »
Just a random question...

If you're riding a bike on thin ice with , and the wheels are rotating just as fast as they normally would when you're riding, will you fall down? (let's assume you're not a newbie on a bike)

appianway

Re: angular momentum
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 05:13:19 pm »
It shouldn't really make all that much of a difference (unless factors other than angular momentum play an exceptionally large role in balance on a bike). The wheels still have a tendency to rotate on their own axes; the only difference is that there isn't linear momentum.

I could be wrong though. I've done minimal angular momentum!

/0

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 05:17:35 pm »
Yeah I'm actually not quite sure myself how angular momentum keeps a normal bike upright (I was lazy in semester 1)
All I know is angular momentum must be conserved...

So you're saying the bike would stay upright? Yeah that's what I reckon as well, I don't know how to explain it though

Oh nevermind, actually, just thinking about angular momentum, it is a vector perpendicular to the face of the wheel, so if you fall down, the vector changes direction and angular momentum is not conserved XD
I used to think only the direction of spin mattered
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 05:35:33 pm by /0 »

QuantumJG

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Applied Mathematics Student at UoM
  • Respect: +82
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 10:39:35 am »
Just a random question...

If you're riding a bike on thin ice with , and the wheels are rotating just as fast as they normally would when you're riding, will you fall down? (let's assume you're not a newbie on a bike)

well since you have no friction your Tyres won't be able to move! my guess is that you would fall over due to there being no friction.
2008: Finished VCE

2009 - 2011: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Physics)

2012 - 2014: Master of Science (Applied Mathematics/Mathematical Physics)

2016 - 2018: Master of Engineering (Civil)

Semester 1:[/b] Engineering Mechanics, Fluid Mechanics, Engineering Risk Analysis, Sustainable Infrastructure Engineering

Semester 2:[/b] Earth Processes for Engineering, Engineering Materials, Structural Theory and Design, Systems Modelling and Design

appianway

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 09:26:54 pm »
Unless the bike already has linear momentum, in which it'd continue to move irrespective of the motion of the wheels.

/0

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 10:00:49 pm »
Even though there is no friction between the tyres and the ground, the tyres would still be move when you pedal them.

Also, I don't think you even need linear momentum. You can be completely stationary, but as long as the tyres have angular momentum you won't fall down.

I guess the lack of friction would make it easier to fall down, but I'm not sure about that, since you would still need to conserve angular momentum somehow.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 10:02:24 pm by /0 »

appianway

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 03:38:36 am »
Yeah I know there'd be conservation of angular momentum for the balance, but what I was saying was that you don't need the wheels to turn to move (if there's linear momentum it'll continue in its path).

kamil9876

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +109
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 10:43:00 pm »
I would rule out linear momentum having anything to do with this, simply because you can change to a reference frame where it would be stationary; but both reference frames must agree on whether it falls down or not. To check whether a certain phenomena depends on some variable, it is good to see if it also works in other reference frames.

I remember some demos long way back where the lecturer chucked a rotating wheel in a suitcase, and suddenly it became uber hard to move it sideways, so angular momentum does ring a bell(also, all inertial reference frames agree on angular momentum so it seems like a better candidate)... but meh i won't have to do any more physics after sem1 next year  8-)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 10:44:47 pm by kamil9876 »
Voltaire: "There is an astonishing imagination even in the science of mathematics ... We repeat, there is far more imagination in the head of Archimedes than in that of Homer."

TrueTears

• TT
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 10:46:34 pm »
but meh i won't have to do any more physics after sem1 next year  8-)
hahah I assume all maths?

maths >>>>>> all science
PhD @ MIT (Economics).

Interested in asset pricing, econometrics, and social choice theory.

/0

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 10:55:22 pm »

TrueTears

• TT
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 10:55:50 pm »
maths >>>>>> all science

lies
 >:(
lol I was kidding :P but a bit of bias there I do admit haha
PhD @ MIT (Economics).

Interested in asset pricing, econometrics, and social choice theory.

/0

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 10:58:10 pm »
maths >>>>>> all science

lies
 >:(
lol I was kidding :P but a bit of bias there I do admit haha

lol i have bias too  :D

QuantumJG

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 04:23:55 pm »
I would rule out linear momentum having anything to do with this, simply because you can change to a reference frame where it would be stationary; but both reference frames must agree on whether it falls down or not. To check whether a certain phenomena depends on some variable, it is good to see if it also works in other reference frames.

I remember some demos long way back where the lecturer chucked a rotating wheel in a suitcase, and suddenly it became uber hard to move it sideways, so angular momentum does ring a bell(also, all inertial reference frames agree on angular momentum so it seems like a better candidate)... but meh i won't have to do any more physics after sem1 next year  8-)

That sounds like the right answer. I can't believe I forgot first year physics demo (I even had to do an assignment related to this - :S).

But yeah what happens is you give a tyre angular momentum and it requires a lot of work to change the angular momentum vectors' direction, thus the tyre doesn't tip over but process about it's axes, but the main reason is angular momentum.

Semester 1:[/b] Engineering Mechanics, Fluid Mechanics, Engineering Risk Analysis, Sustainable Infrastructure Engineering

Semester 2:[/b] Earth Processes for Engineering, Engineering Materials, Structural Theory and Design, Systems Modelling and Design

appianway

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 12:28:27 pm »
This is slightly off the bicycle topic, but does anyone here know about precession? It's quite cool. :)

QuantumJG

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 12:55:08 pm »
In first year physics we were shown the bicycle wheel demo and the professor tried to qualitatively explain precession.