Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 23, 2024, 05:26:27 pm

Author Topic: James Lu should be happy he got 99.95 and stop dishing out on the VCE  (Read 61791 times)  Share 

jejak

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • sudo make me a sandwich
  • Respect: +1
Re: Henry Lu should be happy he got 99.95 and stop bitchin' about the VCE
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2009, 07:18:23 pm »
i agree with jejak
Thanks zzdfa. Also I agree his writing style, although impressive, sounds a bit too stiff to me. "Pernicious" is a bit hyperbolic in any case; although clearly things could be improved, I really don't think the situation is grave enough to cause serious harm, as the term would otherwise suggest.
2008: Biology |
2009: Literature | Indonesian SL | Chinese SL | Methods | Chemistry |
ENTER: 99.65

TrueTears

• TT
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2009, 07:31:20 pm »
I agree with him, I hate vce. I hate how at the start of the year teachers will always tell us the format of the exam and what mistakes people made last year. Like, fuck that. I don't go to school to prepare for exams, I go to school to learn.
/0, you share my mind.
PhD @ MIT (Economics).

Interested in asset pricing, econometrics, and social choice theory.

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2009, 07:35:56 pm »
I'm in the middle. The letter seems kind of pompous to me, and doing well in the VCE is actually quite an achievement which he seems to undermine. It's hard work to do well. However, I agree completely that school, especially the last couple of years, sucks you dry of any curiousity you might have. I remember in year 10 having to do research essays and such like, but in year 12 (and to a lesser extent, year 11) the task was to memorise the textbook. No independent learning is necessary during VCE, which I think is a real shame and it stops you from being your best intellectually, I think.

xXNovaxX

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2009, 07:49:55 pm »
It is a bit sad that VCE basically confines what you learn to a set "syllabus".  There's no real room for academic discovery on your own in that respect; you'd be considered "wasting your time" if you went out and read/learned more than what the course necessitated, whereas in systems like IB where the depth is almost limitless (I think?) you'd be getting a lot more out of it. 
Thats strange! Because my teachers are the exact opposite, our class started complaining how we were not being prepared for the exams, whereas otehr schools/private mainly were teaching their kids everytihng about the exam. Our teacher was slow and did no revision/minimal, and spent a lot of time teaching us exta stuff which was not neccessary

But now I look back, I am glad for this, I dont want teachers to only teach stuff JUST for the exam, i.e. like it should eb structured by the book so much.

And btw, I am confused about this thread? Why are people swearing, and angry about 50's, and who is this lu person....can some1 summarise quickly?

kyzoo

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2009, 07:56:10 pm »
Lol that James Lu guy was in my house, and he basically said the same thing at our "Y12 giving advice to the rest of the house" thing. But anyways I agree with him.

I really hate it how there's so much focus on score - I think it's sickening how some people do academics merely to compare their performance to others. When these people achieve superior scores to others, they rub it in other people's faces. When they achieve inferior scores, they just remain silent. It's lame.

Also, I totally agree with the "afraid to go beyond syllabus requirements" part. Sometimes a teacher will go "This isn't part of the course", and some students will go "Phew, I don't have to learn this." That attitude is toxic to later life. And the VCE system does punish independent learning - there are times when I want to spend time learning something, but instead I have to spend time on something else just so I can get marks.

From personal experience I can say learning is so much more enjoyable when you focus on learning. However it becomes a mechanical and lifeless exercise once you become obsessed with the score.

Not very well expressed but oh well.
~ Methods (Non-CAS) [48 --> 49.4]

~ Spesh [50 --> 51.6]
~ Physics [50 --> 50]
~ Chem [43 --> 46.5]
~ English [46 --> 46.2]
~ UMEP Maths [5.0]

2010 ATAR: 99.90
Aggregate 206.8

NOTE: PLEASE CONTACT ME ON EMAIL - [email protected] if you are looking for a swift reply.

kyzoo

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2009, 07:56:52 pm »
and who is this lu person....can some1 summarise quickly?

James Lu is a Y12 who graduated from MGS this year with 99.95.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 08:14:12 pm by kyzoo »

~ Spesh [50 --> 51.6]
~ Physics [50 --> 50]
~ Chem [43 --> 46.5]
~ English [46 --> 46.2]
~ UMEP Maths [5.0]

Aggregate 206.8

NOTE: PLEASE CONTACT ME ON EMAIL - [email protected] if you are looking for a swift reply.

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2009, 07:58:59 pm »
Man I reckon he just made that little sentiment in the paper to show off his literary prowess.

It isn't the first time he's published something in The Age.  Compared to his last letter (which basically blasted the entire medical profession), this one was rather tame. 

Would like to know more. Link? Quote?

xXNovaxX

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2009, 08:03:43 pm »
Can I just add quietly >< I know nothing about him,

But isnt it GOOD that a guy who got PERFECT is complaining? Thats what makes society BETTER, not a guy who gets a 30 ENTER and says its a bad system....

BUT, I like the way VCE is, i got a score which 100% reflects how I did, I am so proud, Im not trying to be cocky, but yeah, I think it really reflects how u did in most cases.

Ilovemathsmeth

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2009, 08:05:06 pm »
LOL TrueTears, everyone knows I hate VCE! :P

Especially English...screw you, English.
Raw Scores:
Psychology 50 | Mathematical Methods 49 | Further Mathematics 49 | Accounting 49 | Chemistry 44 | English 43
ATAR: 99.75

Tashi

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2009, 08:10:47 pm »
Can I just add quietly >< I know nothing about him,

But isnt it GOOD that a guy who got PERFECT is complaining? Thats what makes society BETTER, not a guy who gets a 30 ENTER and says its a bad system....

BUT, I like the way VCE is, i got a score which 100% reflects how I did, I am so proud, Im not trying to be cocky, but yeah, I think it really reflects how u did in most cases.

Yeah, that's what my mum said when I was discussing this with her. That at least this guy is in a good position to complain.

The system is flawed but I don't think there could ever be a perfect system to sort out university places etc. In America universities take note of extracurricular activities, and many students join any club they can just so they can add it to their list. I'm glad we don't have that here.

xXNovaxX

« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2009, 08:12:46 pm »
^^LMAO,  there was an EXACT same thread on this that I created where people argued whether extra curricular actiives should play a part etc, please dont open that can of worms!

We ended the argument peacefully, no side winning ><

BUT, yes, the American system has like GAT tests to determine ur place into Uni, and that I say SUCKS.

Tashi

« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2009, 08:17:01 pm »
^^LMAO,  there was an EXACT same thread on this that I created where people argued whether extra curricular actiives should play a part etc, please dont open that can of worms!

We ended the argument peacefully, no side winning ><

BUT, yes, the American system has like GAT tests to determine ur place into Uni, and that I say SUCKS.

Urgh, I hate those aptitude tests. They have to learn heaps of vocab ew.

kyzoo

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2009, 08:18:28 pm »
The SAT is nowhere as bad as the GAT.

~ Spesh [50 --> 51.6]
~ Physics [50 --> 50]
~ Chem [43 --> 46.5]
~ English [46 --> 46.2]
~ UMEP Maths [5.0]

Aggregate 206.8

ninwa

• Respect: +1021
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2009, 08:34:46 pm »
Sure, his point is fairly cynical, but I don't think it was "pretentious" per se.

I read it and immediately thought "you arrogant douchebag":
Quote from: James Lu
but I regret my lack of academic failure.

He makes a really good point; if only his elephantine ego didn't shine through with it.

In any case, if he believed VCE to be the source of mediocrity then he should take a look at his own subject selection.
Well said!
I know scaling wasn't relevant to him since he did get 50 for everything, but unless his ego is even bigger than already exemplified in his letter, he probably didn't expect to do so. Those are some of the best subjects to pick if you're going for a scaling advantage.
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

ninwa

• Respect: +1021
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2009, 08:39:08 pm »
I really hate it how there's so much focus on score - I think it's sickening how some people do academics merely to compare their performance to others. When these people achieve superior scores to others, they rub it in other people's faces. When they achieve inferior scores, they just remain silent. It's lame.
That happens in life too though :P

Also, I totally agree with the "afraid to go beyond syllabus requirements" part. Sometimes a teacher will go "This isn't part of the course", and some students will go "Phew, I don't have to learn this." That attitude is toxic to later life. And the VCE system does punish independent learning - there are times when I want to spend time learning something, but instead I have to spend time on something else just so I can get marks.
Thank god university is different!
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]