Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 05, 2024, 06:31:22 pm

Author Topic: Engineering question  (Read 7130 times)  Share 

Squida

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Engineering question
« on: January 09, 2010, 01:36:11 am »
Hi everybody

I was looking into doing engineering at uni this year (civil/structural specifically) and I was wondering which course would be more suited for me. Basically the three options are doing a bachelor or science at melb uni + masters in eng, doing the bachelor of engineering at melb uni orrrr doing the bachelor of civil and infrastructure at rmit.
I can't really figure out which course would be best for me so any input woulld be appreciated :p.

*ryan777*

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
Re: Engineering question
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 01:40:48 am »
i keep hearing rmit is quite good in engineering
2010: Bachelor of Economics @ Monash University - Clayton
Sem1: Priciples of Accounting/Finance, Principles of Microeconomics, Business Statistics, Japanese 5
Sem2: Intro to Financial Accounting, Corporate Finance, Principles of Macroeconomics, Japanese 6

crappy

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 04:37:02 am »
Hi everybody

I was looking into doing engineering at uni this year (civil/structural specifically) and I was wondering which course would be more suited for me. Basically the three options are doing a bachelor or science at melb uni + masters in eng, doing the bachelor of engineering at melb uni orrrr doing the bachelor of civil and infrastructure at rmit.
I can't really figure out which course would be best for me so any input woulld be appreciated :p.

Have you thought about Monash? The best uni for engineering?
ElectricalEng@Monash (2nd year)

Squida

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 01:00:24 pm »
Monash is way too far for me, at least 2 hours travel bleh.

clinton_09

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 02:56:53 pm »
both are good courses

QuantumJG

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Applied Mathematics Student at UoM
  • Respect: +82
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 04:59:20 pm »
Hi everybody

Have you thought about Monash? The best uni for engineering?

All three uni's are great for engineering. I keep hearing great things about RMIT and Monash (Monash is probably the best - it I knew I wanted to do engineering I would have chosen Monash) interms of engineering. The thing with UoM us that the first year  is pretty dull (ESD 1 & 2) and I decided to pursue science since I didn't really enjoy engineering (I realised I think like a scientist and not an engineer).
2008: Finished VCE

2009 - 2011: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Physics)

2012 - 2014: Master of Science (Applied Mathematics/Mathematical Physics)

2016 - 2018: Master of Engineering (Civil)

Semester 1:[/b] Engineering Mechanics, Fluid Mechanics, Engineering Risk Analysis, Sustainable Infrastructure Engineering

Semester 2:[/b] Earth Processes for Engineering, Engineering Materials, Structural Theory and Design, Systems Modelling and Design

Squida

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 05:46:01 pm »
what about engineering through science? you go straight into whatever specific engineering you're after.

Mxbn0

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 06:03:28 am »
yeah, to get a creditation as an engineer, you'd need to do 5 years if u do a BSc then ME, but only 4 if u want to do BE. ill list the disadvantages and advantages of each:

BSc-ME

Adv: 2 degrees, and the masters looks good
Dis: extra year, therefore, extra money, companies would choose ppl with BE over BSc any day of the week, and twice on sundays

BE

Adv: only 4 years for accreditation - less money - looks awesome on a resume (especially coz its running its last year, so they'll know you're dedicated) - sets you up perfectly for an MBA, which companies love (takes half the time to get it too, as you'll have done enough work with numbers etc. to do the course twice as fast as normal business students)

Dis: Not masters

/0

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 06:11:55 am »
Wouldn't companies choose ppl with ME over BE any day of the week, and twice on sundays?

dejan91

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Without risk, there is no adventure.
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 02:49:04 pm »
companies would choose ppl with BE over BSc any day of the week, and twice on sundays

Why is that?

They're choosing someone with a BSc AND a ME.

especially coz its running its last year, so they'll know you're dedicated

Umm please explain what it has to do with dedication...

:)
When I get sad, I stop being sad, and be AWESOME instead. True story.

Mollie

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 03:16:58 pm »
Wouldn't companies choose ppl with ME over BE any day of the week, and twice on sundays?

Not necessarily especially given the Melbourne Model ME is an ME by coursework. There is no guarantee that anyone with an ME has more Engineering subjects than those with a BE. From memory the Melbourne Model ME also has no requirement for engineering work experience (engineering practice the way it has been described to me isn't the same thing), and it is work experience that is often the deciding factor in employment.

Kopite

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 12:40:43 am »

Not necessarily especially given the Melbourne Model ME is an ME by coursework. There is no guarantee that anyone with an ME has more Engineering subjects than those with a BE. From memory the Melbourne Model ME also has no requirement for engineering work experience (engineering practice the way it has been described to me isn't the same thing), and it is work experience that is often the deciding factor in employment.

Thing is, because it's such a new concept, I think employers will still differentiate between the two degrees, even though there is pretty much no difference between the two. The whole aim, is to make accreditation at a Masters level, in line with a few other countries, which in Australia, it is not currently at. Thus, people going around with a Masters degree will be looked on more slightly favorably (in my opinion) because of the relative 'newness' of the M.Eng. Just my two cents.

Squida

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 01:20:10 am »
I was sort of thinking along the same lines as Kopite as, seeing as an M.Eng may be recognized more internationally (not sure  :D).
Having said that doing a B.Eng + MBA is fairly attractive as well, though is it possible that you can do your MBA while employed? Not sure jut heard something like that.

dejan91

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Without risk, there is no adventure.
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 05:47:15 pm »
I was sort of thinking along the same lines as Kopite as, seeing as an M.Eng may be recognized more internationally (not sure  :D).
Having said that doing a B.Eng + MBA is fairly attractive as well, though is it possible that you can do your MBA while employed? Not sure jut heard something like that.

Yeah you can, and for something like the MBA, work experience determines how valuable it is (from what I've heard). There is even an EMBA (executive MBA) which you can only complete after 10 or more years of work experience in a certain field.
When I get sad, I stop being sad, and be AWESOME instead. True story.

Mollie

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 11:37:25 pm »

Thing is, because it's such a new concept, I think employers will still differentiate between the two degrees, even though there is pretty much no difference between the two. The whole aim, is to make accreditation at a Masters level, in line with a few other countries, which in Australia, it is not currently at. Thus, people going around with a Masters degree will be looked on more slightly favorably (in my opinion) because of the relative 'newness' of the M.Eng. Just my two cents.

I think the MM grads will be looked at less favourably if any differently. For starters 25% of their undergrad course is fluff rubbish courses that serve no real purpose to engineering companies, but do give Melb Uni 25% more fees. A Masters is only really viewed highly when it is a Masters by Research, and the MM masters isn't that. Having an ME behind your name might make a certain part of your anatomy feel bigger, but you'll pay a minimum $8000 more to get one, and only IF you get a CSP place. If you end up in a full fee spot then you'll likely regret the choice you made chosing MM for a very long time.