Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 04, 2024, 08:51:06 am

Author Topic: ENTERs to fall because of less international applications?  (Read 4213 times)  Share 

Duck

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
ENTERs to fall because of less international applications?
« on: October 17, 2010, 09:30:26 am »
Someone suggested this to me earlier. Firstly, international applications to Australian Universities are likely to fall following the attacks on Indian students earlier this year, right? Of so, will this affect domestic ENTERs or just make it easier for internationals to study here?

shinny

• VN MVP 2010
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2008
Re: ENTERs to fall because of less international applications?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 11:23:20 am »
Don't they usually have places set aside for them? It might vary from course to course and uni to uni though. Pretty sure Med had a certain number set aside for them. So that'd just mean it'd be easier for internationals to get in because I doubt the demand would fall to the extent that there would actually be unfilled international places.
MBBS (hons) - Monash University

YR11 '07: Biology 49
YR12 '08: Chemistry 47; Spesh 41; Methods 49; Business Management 50; English 43

ENTER: 99.70

bomb

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 11:48:03 am »
Don't they usually have places set aside for them? It might vary from course to course and uni to uni though. Pretty sure Med had a certain number set aside for them. So that'd just mean it'd be easier for internationals to get in because I doubt the demand would fall to the extent that there would actually be unfilled international places.

Sort of. We have for example 100 places in a course. Then overseas students pay to have extra places, we aren't in direct competition with them. So they don't affect ATAR requirements.
“Great minds have purposes; little minds have wishes. Little minds are subdued by misfortunes; great minds rise above them.” Washington Irving

2010 Results
ATAR: 96.05

Gloamglozer

• The Walking VTAC Guide
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Here to listen and help
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 05:30:00 pm »
Actually I would beg to differ that international places would fall too much because of the Indian attacks.  You'll still get international students coming in.  After all, education is a very precious and very big export in Australia.  I would, however, agree that international places would fall because of the high Aussie dollar since living costs here would have soared since the last year.

Having said that, I'm not entirely sure how the selection process works for international students and local students but as you may already know, universities are cash-strapped right now and if more than anything, they would much rather offer more international full-fee places.  I do know however, that some universities do set aside places for international students and make sure that they fill a certain quota.  But like I said before, I'm not entirely sure of the actual process that goes behind it.

Bachelor of Science (Mathematics & Statistics) - Discrete Mathematics & Operations Research

IntoTheNewWorld

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Hello World
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 05:50:47 pm »
Actually I would beg to differ that international places would fall too much because of the Indian attacks.

And well, pretty sure most Indian international students didn't study at Australian universities anyway, as opposed to those training schools. And when they did study at universities here, it was mostly postgraduate (as they're shorter), and not so much at Monash/UoM.   

shinny

• VN MVP 2010
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 05:54:56 pm »
The ENTER for Pharmacy might drop though because that occupation has been taken off the skills shortage list, meaning that internationals won't get a working visa on completing the course. I could only assume that this means the amount of internationals entering the course is going to drop significantly because on completion of the course, they won't be able to do their pre-registration training, meaning their degree is next to useless. Not something I'm completely educated on with regards to the technicalities but that's from what I've heard.
MBBS (hons) - Monash University

YR11 '07: Biology 49
YR12 '08: Chemistry 47; Spesh 41; Methods 49; Business Management 50; English 43

ENTER: 99.70

taiga

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 10:35:25 pm »
most indian students are postgrad
vce: english, methods, spesh, chemistry, physics, geography.

ex admin/mod/partner

2010: Melbourne High School (VCE)
2011 - 2016: Monash University BComm/BEng (Hons)

If you guys have any concerns/suggestions for making ATARNotes a better place, don't hesitate to PM me.

happyhappyland

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 08:33:06 am »

I dont think this will happen for med though, but maybe degrees such as commerce and possbily engineer/science... the ones that have more internationals.

I guess ENTER may fall since if the uni doesnt fill up their international quota they may resort to accepting more local students.
2011: Bachelor of Science (Melbourne)