Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 24, 2024, 01:42:13 am

Author Topic: English Oral Discussion 2011 - Topics, Tips and Strategies  (Read 55871 times)  Share 

lexitu

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • When I grow up I'm going to Bovine University.
  • Respect: +66
Re: Worked Examples of English Orals.
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2010, 08:00:50 am »
Here's mine: http://lexitu.com/post/860646419/asylum-seekers-a-non-issue

As taiga said it's probably not the best idea to have a transcript that you will be relying on. When I did my oral I had little eye contact with my transcript because I was well prepared - I hardly used it and could adapt my language to convey the same meaning of the rehearsed piece. People that need to constantly look at their notes/transcript lose engagement with the audience and it also doesn't make them look confident.

Also @ taiga, I agree, that's rubbish - techniques without a label can be just as effective, if not more.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 09:06:31 am by aleitu1 »

werdna

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +287
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2010, 08:51:29 am »
Also, some teachers like to see you use the "persuasive techniques" you identify in language analysis. I personally think that is a load of rubbish, but you'll find alot of teachers are formulaic about their marking, so you might want to intentionally throw in some obvious ones.

Agreed. I remember adding some rhetorical questions and alliteration just for the sake of the pedantic teacher. (But I guess they did add a bit to the oral).

EvangelionZeta

• Quintessence of Dust
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2010, 01:48:34 pm »
I didn't actually do a persuasive oral (we do our oral SAC on a text - it's so that everyone gets to learn from what everyone else has researched in their oral topic), but for the issues SAC we had to write a persuasive piece and I ended up just writing it in speech form because I find it comes to me most naturally.

Agreed with Taiga on the "persuasive techniques" thing as well - VCE is pretty much about ticking boxes, unfortunately.  Disagree with having no transcript though - a worked transcript makes your speech a lot more fluent and your language much more controlled.  This isn't to say that I endorse merely reading from a transcript or looking down at it a lot.  By all means, if you do write out your entire speech, try to memorise your speech, and always be ready for improvisation if genius suddenly strikes you, but writing out a speech beforehand is invaluable.

---

Ladies and gentlemen, it is time to embrace the future.

For centuries – millennia, even – women have been the victims of our society.  We have deprived them their rights; from the right to vote, to the right to work in specific fields, it seems that throughout history men have oppressed the bearers of life within our species.  We have been ignorant, but in recent years we have finally done something to rectify our forefathers’ faults.  The Feminist movement has improved women’s status, and the fight for women is finally beginning to look up.
And now, for the final frontier.

We have not given women everything they deserve.  Yes, society has improved, but the present reality is simply not enough.  The front line, the barrier protecting our nation, is still entirely male, and without proper justification.  This must be rectified, and the Rudd government, in their push for women on the front line, have the right idea.  We know that women are not incapable. We know that women are not powerless.  To bravely move towards the future, we must eliminate this obstacle to true equality in our society.  Simply put, we must allow women to fight for our nation on the front lines, in direct combat positions, for a better Australia and for a better world.

At its heart, ladies and gentlemen, the key to this issue lies simply in necessity: chauvinistic male attitudes aside, there is no good reason not to put capable women in the front lines.  As shown by statistics from the ADF, 13% of the ADF is female, and women can already occupy 88% of all positions within the armed forces, including all non-combat ones.  Indeed, those women who have already enlisted have been shown to be highly competent.  We have women in the army who are trained to use the same weapons as men, who fly helicopters and jets over Afghanistan or Iraq.  Why not go a step further?  Take note that I am not suggesting we let any green recruit go into direct combat; that would be absurd, for both men and women.  What I am asking you to consider, rather, is the study carried out by the Army Times, showing that given enough training most women have the physical attributes necessary for direct combat roles.  In this light, it seems absurd to exclude women from the front line.  There is no “weakness” in women, nothing in their aptitude or physiology preventing them from being in the army with men.  Indeed, it is as though there is no real justification for the current reality other than a Neanderthal-like attitude against women.  Can we as Australians really be proud of our nation if we ignore these plain, hard facts relating to women’s potential?

Not only this, but given the symbolism of a move towards true equality, the act of allowing women to fight on the front lines would be a step forward into the modern age.  According to a report published by the Parliament of Australia, Canada and Germany are ahead of us, allowing both genders to participate in direct combat – they have gone further than we have in embracing the new world and the light of real justice.  This is not because they are intrinsically better than us as nations; rather, it is because we are afraid to let go of tradition.  The disgusting policies against women being on the front lines are a vulgarity remaining from the past, nothing more.  If we allow women the right to fight in direct combat, we show that we can welcome a new world, a world of equal rights and a world of wonders.  This is what we want: our nation, if it is to move towards the future, must recognise that true equality will only come with this allowance for women.

There are still dissenters, of course, and indeed, the notion of allowing women on the front lines is often described as scientifically controversial.  The common argument, purported by individuals such as online publisher Helium’s Michael Plovy, is that women in a predominantly male field will cause psychological drama.  To quote Plovy, “[P]utting women in and near combat requires a denial of sex differences that could put both men and women at greater risk”.  It is claimed that mixed combat units would be less cohesive and successful on the whole than their all-male counterparts due to the lack of comradeship between men and women.  Whilst not completely illogical, this view is not nearly as sound as its supporters like to believe, as there is very little evidence for it other than that of the anecdotal kind.  Not only this, but the argument fails in addressing an obvious solution: in the event that female and male mingling impacts negatively, why not simply provide the army with single-sex units?  In this light, alluding to the potential psychological dangers of allowing women on the front line seems a foolish argument, does it not?

I would not be addressing the full spectrum of detractors if I did not also mention those who appeal to culture for not allowing women to fight in direct combat positions.  It is indeed a given fact that traditionally in times long past, men were always the combatants, and that the women were the carers at home; writers, such as Roxanna Latifi of the TCU’s Skiff magazine, have argued that this should still be, and that we “need someone here to keep the country going”.  However, to allude to traditional values in this context would be the equivalent of stripping women of their right to vote: surely, just as we have abolished black slavery and public hangings, we can move on from medieval notions preventing women from embracing all opportunities.  It seems absurd, given that women can now be engineers and headmasters, that we should prevent them from what is in reality just another vocation.  The world has changed, and society and Australia must move forward, away from anachronistic ideals.

The promised time has come, ladies and gentlemen.   As we march forward towards a brave new world, women’s rights will become equal to those of men’s.  We shall see true equality – a society akin to that of the divine, a society which sees reason and necessity instead of prejudice.  For a better future and for a better world, women on the front lines must be the reality: only once our armed forces have embraced the modern age can we claim to be truly civilised.
---

Finished VCE in 2010 and now teaching professionally. For any inquiries, email me at [email protected].

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2010, 11:32:04 am »
This is the one I did (yr11) on the issue of a hung parliament. My exact topic (from the current media) was 'role of the independents in the current House of Reps' (how exciting...). The info is probably a few months old now.

Poet and actor, Stan Lee once said: ‘with great powers comes great responsibilities’.

On the night of 21st of August, this power and its associated responsibilities, were put in the hands of five men - 4 independents and 1 Green, as we stared down the barrel of the first hung federal parliament since the early 1940s. A hung parliament results when no party is able to secure more than half the 150 MPs in the House of Representatives. This means that no party can pass laws without gaining support from other minor parties or independent members of the House. The disgruntled, ex-National MPs: Bob Katter, Rob Oakeshott, Tony Windsor, and two left-leaning MPs - one a Greeen, and the other one an ex-Green - Adam Bandt and Andrew Wilkie, were left to decide Australia’s future after an election which many could compare to the first drawn Grand Final: a non-result.

The horse-trading began on the night of the election, with Julia Gillard and Tony Abbott wooing the independents with promises of the betterment of rural and regional society and infrastructure, introduction of parliamentary reform, issues of broadband delivery, and the option of purportedly stable government and reliability. These negotiations continued for another three weeks, with policies spruiked, promises made and agreements reached for a “kinder, gentler parliament”. In the end, the independents were split, Katter siding with the Liberals and Oakeshott and Windsor choosing to support Labor, with Bandt and Wilkie having already indicated their support for Gillard government. Labor was able to form a minority government, the independents promised stability and the Governor-General sealed the deal.

This new political paradigm has placed the independents in a major position of power. Because of the hung parliament, the government, unlike previously, cannot simply rely just on their numbers to pass legislation through the lower house. Now the government also needs the support of the independents to pass any laws at all. This allows the independents to wield huge power.

Now, these independents, we all know who they are and who they sided with, but I doubt any of you know what each of them really stands for or believes in. In actual fact, only senior Coalition and Labor MPs themselves can actually answer this question as all the deliberations were held behind large, closed parliament doors, leaving us, the people of Australia, in the dark. Essentially, we have, willingly or not, given the power to make decisions on health, transport, education, disabilities and the economy to five people who we know relatively nothing about. This in itself poses big issues on the trust that we can put onto these people.

Furthermore, the independents can also exercise undue power over the parliament and over the Australian people. Since both the major parties want to have the independents on their side, the independents’ demands and wants are most likely to be met, even though they may be skewed towards the benefits of their constituents, regional-dwelling Australians, rather than for the improvement to all Australians. The independents should be expected to keep both the government and the opposition accountable, but will be unable to due to their desire to put their own electorates ahead of us, the Australian people. Not only does this satisfy the people they represent, but it also increases their chances of re-election, prolonging the longevity of their six-figure salary.

This has already been shown in that significant additional funding has been provided to regional hospitals in the electorates of these independents, directly resulting from the influence of the independents. Is it fair that the decisions determining Australia’s future should be decided in favour of a few selected rural communities? These independents, who seek to use their newfound power to push for what they believe are key issues facing a post-GFC economy, such as banning imports of certain bananas, are set to dominate the political scene for at least the next three years.

So far, only a few pieces of legislation have made their way through the scrutiny of the lower house. One, an agreement facilitated by the independents regarding parliamentary reform, has already been dishonoured by an agreeing Coalition. In addition, the independents have already helped to pass legislation, in the space of a week, from both the government and the opposition, the first time in over fifty years. These examples raise doubts to whether or not the independents can actually guarantee the stability in the lower house for which they had promised.

Katter, Oakeshott, Windsor, Bandt and Wilkie: the independents of today’s parliament. We don’t really know what they stand for, but nevertheless, they have been given unprecedented power over Australia’s future. They will be expected to keep the government and opposition accountable and guarantee stability in the lower house. However, in the space of a mere few weeks, these independents have already secured additional funding for their electorates, funding that could have been better spent on Aboriginal health or people with disabilities. They have already shown that they are incapable of providing stability in the lower house, having already drifted to the Coalition in certain issues. And finally, they have already caused doubts in the minds of us, the Australian people, as the whether or not it is fair for a few rural constituencies to decide our future. The independents have been given power, but as Yoda would say: ‘acting responsible, they are not’.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 11:36:06 am by Rohitpi »

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2010, 03:11:06 pm »
I was a bit of an arrogant jerk in Year 12 and wrote an anti-democracy speech to showcase (pseduo) intellectual ideas. I was incredibly familiar with the speech because I'd given it multiple times before but despite this I still needed the written speech for stimulus. I got 39/40 for the SAC, one of my oral assessors was the chief assessor (Hillman)

Democracy – it’s a concept that we’re all familiar with, but one very few of us have ever truly considered. So, what is democracy? How did it develop? And why is there a push to spread it worldwide? Although we live in a democratic society, many of us don’t really think about these questions before agreeing that democracy is a moral and preferred form of government. However, the individual is not qualified to make decisions about important issues that impact on all of us. Let me explain:

Democracy takes two forms; representative democracy and direct democracy. Representative democracy is the form that we are all familiar with – citizens vote for their preferred member of parliament, whose responsibility it is to represent their electorate. This is, of course, the electoral system that we currently use in Australia. Direct democracy is much simpler – every affected person has a vote and the numerical majority win. It is evident that in both forms of democracy, the result is dependent upon the opinion of the majority.

Let’s travel back in time a few thousand years, to the Golden Age of Athens; the place where democracy originated. Today, it would never be called democracy; sure every citizen got a vote, but only about 15% of the population were considered citizens. Not to mention Aristotle’s famous description of the relationship between men and women – “one rules, the other is ruled”. Certainly not a notion that would be accepted in modern democracies. But it was from this early form of government that what we know today as democracy developed.

Many advocates of democracy talk about how “fair” it is. Everybody is afforded a vote with equal value and therefore democracy does not discriminate against anybody. Others point to the fact that power can only be obtained by seeking it from the people, unlike a dictatorship or a monarchy. Well, these are all valid claims but they all seem to gloss over the negative side of democratic rule. The manner in which any majority can enforce its will upon the people is at odds with the values that democracy espouses.

My rejection of democracy is simple. It is the underlying principle of democracy – unlimited majority rule – that I dismiss as unfair and inconsistent. It is inconceivable that the majority should have the power, much less the right, to infringe on the lives of others. Democracy preaches that actions carried out by, or on the behalf of, a majority must be moral; this is quite simply rubbish. If the only measure of right and wrong is the support behind each opposing argument, then either can be ‘right’ at any given time – a majority can shift freely and rapidly.

However, in practice it would seem that democracy is working quite well. Despite its flaws, one would think that America is an example of a democracy that works. But, America is not a democracy; it is a constitutional republic. This is because they have a Constitution and a Bill of Rights; these things protect the basic principles of governance as well as individual rights. This eradicates the weakness inherent in a democracy by protecting individual rights and defending values important to our society. This is clearly a perfectly viable alternative to democracy.

After travelling back in time to Athens to witness the birth of democracy, lets go there again to watch it live up to the immoral principles of democracy. Socrates, one of their greatest thinkers, said that “decisions should not be made by vote” in order to avoid “the iniquities of mob rule and leaders who pander to the worst passions of their electorate”. Now, as you can imagine, people didn’t like him voicing these opinions and, consequently, had him condemned to death on the trumped up charge of “corrupting the youth of Athens”. In democratic Athens it was perfectly legal, despite the fact that he had antagonised nobody, used force against nobody nor infringed on anybody’s rights. Instead he had dared to voice opinions that the majority didn’t like. This clearly demonstrates how democratic rule is not an adequate form of government.

Finally, after having considered all the complicated ethical parts of the dilemma, let’s look at one very simple reason why democracy isn’t such a great idea. Recently, in 2002, a survey of Americans concluded that 30% believe in UFOs, 40% believe in astrology and the validity of the horoscope and finally 60%, a numerical majority, believe that people possess psychic powers. And that’s not mentioning the sixty million people who believe Elvis still lives. As one social commentator put it; “the idea of allowing the average man and women to decide important questions by vote is enough to give me an urge to run screaming for the nearest mountain range.”

Andiio

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2010, 01:16:24 am »
Thanks everyone for the examples! Will post up mine once I write it sometime soon
2010: Chinese SL [43]
2011: English [47] | Mathematical Methods CAS [41]| Specialist Mathematics [38] | Chemistry [40] | Physics [37]
ATAR: 99.55

burbs

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Fuck da police - Aristotle
  • Respect: +227
Re: English Oral Topic Ideas
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2010, 09:11:12 pm »
I want to do it on Wikileaks... ideas?

Chavi

• sober since 1992
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Death to the juice"
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2010, 09:32:22 pm »
I want to do it on Wikileaks... ideas?
start with: "When I grow up I aspire to be. . . "
and then insert 'Julian Assange' somewhere in that sentence
2009: Math Methods CAS [48]
2010: English [47]|Specialist Maths[44]|Physics[42]|Hebrew[37]|Accounting[48]  atar: 99.80
My blog: http://diasporism.wordpress.com/

taiga

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +588
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2010, 09:36:06 pm »
are you passionate about anything?
vce: english, methods, spesh, chemistry, physics, geography.

ex admin/mod/partner

2010: Melbourne High School (VCE)
2011 - 2016: Monash University BComm/BEng (Hons)

If you guys have any concerns/suggestions for making ATARNotes a better place, don't hesitate to PM me.

lexitu

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • When I grow up I'm going to Bovine University.
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2010, 09:37:04 pm »
Great one! Consider things like:
- Freedom of speech
- Freedom of information
- Public service
- Patriotism
- Security
- Motives of leaks
- The personal consequences to the leakers (would they put their wellbeing at risk for something frivolous, for fame?)
- Benefits to the world from the leaks
- Detriments
- Who is in fact spying?

They are pretty general ideas, just starters :) Hope it helps.

burbs

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2010, 09:40:35 pm »
Big fan of freedom of speech, having dealt with someone who did not believe in it all year.
I can tell my contention would be that the work he is doing is inherently positive and I generally agree with it, I'm not sure how to summarise that into a single sentence, nor if that is even necessary.

Andiio

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2010, 09:45:11 pm »
Is the eng oral the first english sac?
2010: Chinese SL [43]
2011: English [47] | Mathematical Methods CAS [41]| Specialist Mathematics [38] | Chemistry [40] | Physics [37]
ATAR: 99.55

burbs

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2010, 09:46:08 pm »
For us, week two or three we start.

Chavi

• sober since 1992
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Death to the juice"
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2010, 09:46:51 pm »
Here's an interesting topic:
Freedom of Speech vs Hate Speech
To what extent can basic freedoms be regulated to prevent incitement?
2009: Math Methods CAS [48]
2010: English [47]|Specialist Maths[44]|Physics[42]|Hebrew[37]|Accounting[48]  atar: 99.80
My blog: http://diasporism.wordpress.com/

vea

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +29
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2010, 09:48:49 pm »
My first SAC is actually a Maestro TR. On this topic though, does anyone have any ideas on how I can do my oral on the issue surrounding North Korea and South Korea? I seem to be really interested in the issue due to China's involvement. :P
2011: ATAR 99.50
2012: Bachelor of Biomedicine, UoM
2015: Doctor of Dental Surgery, UoM