Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 05:38:52 pm

Author Topic: VCE Accounting Question Thread!  (Read 383402 times)  Share 

Jason12

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +15
  • School: WCC
  • School Grad Year: 2014
Re: VCE Accounting Question Thread!
« Reply #1215 on: May 11, 2014, 10:10:33 pm »
what is the correct way to record a stock gain.

E.g. If you have 5 units of stock valued at $30 each and 5 units of stock valued at $35 each but the $30 stock was purchased first would you record the stock gain as $30 stock?
2014 ATAR - 88

2015 sem 1 - Bachelor of Business (Accounting/Banking & Finance) - Monash

2015 sem 2 - Present: Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting/Finance), Diploma of Languages (Chinese) - Monash

TheWackyCheese

« Reply #1216 on: May 11, 2014, 10:30:55 pm »
+2
what is the correct way to record a stock gain.

E.g. If you have 5 units of stock valued at $30 each and 5 units of stock valued at $35 each but the $30 stock was purchased first would you record the stock gain as $30 stock?

You would record the stock gain using the lowest cost price in the balance column before the stocktake was conducted I'm pretty sure. In your case it would be the $30 of stock.

abcdqdxD

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +57
« Reply #1217 on: May 12, 2014, 10:24:10 pm »
+1
You would record the stock gain using the lowest cost price in the balance column before the stocktake was conducted I'm pretty sure. In your case it would be the $30 of stock.

Yep that's correct, remember Conservatism.

Sanguinne

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
  • School: some public school
« Reply #1218 on: May 13, 2014, 06:27:48 pm »
Explain how depreciation ties in with the demands of the qualitative characteristics of relevance.
2015: Biomed Unimelb

jonoz0r

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #1219 on: May 13, 2014, 06:38:47 pm »
+1
Explain how depreciation ties in with the demands of the qualitative characteristics of relevance.

Depreciation ties in with relevance as it ensures that the Income statement includes all information that is useful for decision-making about profit, by showing the consumption of non-current assets, allowing revenues earned to be matched against expenses incurred in the current reporting period. Depreciation also satisfies relevance because by reporting accumulated depreciation in the Balance sheet, this allows assets to be shown at their carrying value, which is vital to decision-making regarding the eventual replacement of the asset.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 11:32:21 pm by jonoz0r »
ATAR : 99.55

2015-2019: Commerce/Law @ Monash University

smile+energy

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • A big smile, the most amazing thing ever.
« Reply #1220 on: May 21, 2014, 04:00:18 pm »
Could anyone help me with these questions?
Explain why an accrued expense is calssified as a current liability?
Explain why the payment of an accrued expense in a subsequent period requires the payment to be split in the CPJ?
2014: English(EAL)   Methods   Biology   Health and human development   Accounting

chasej

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +56
« Reply #1221 on: May 21, 2014, 10:28:54 pm »
+1
1. Explain why an accrued expense is calssified as a current liability?
2. Explain why the payment of an accrued expense in a subsequent period requires the payment to be split in the CPJ?

1. An accrued expense is an expense which is recognised following accrual accounting as having been incurred in a period, but not yet paid in that period. Hence the business has a present obligation to pay the expense, as a result of the past expense (event), the settlement of which will result in an outflow of cash (a resource embodying economic benefit) within the next 12 months (in the next reporting period), hence following the definition of a current liability.

2. As an accrued expense is the liability related to an expense incurred in a past period, it is necessary to split any payments of an expense into discharging of the liability and an incurrence of the same expense in the current period, to ensure expenses in the current period are not overstated (ensuring more accurate net profit), while ensuring liabilities are not overstated by discharging the liability. As a rule, the accrued expense is always paid before any new expense is paid and consumed in the current period. It is thus necessary to split any payments related to accrued expense into discharging of the liability and incurrence of expense in the CPJ to ensure accounting records and reports are accurate, and reflect the business's actual performance and transactions.

Graduated with Bachelor of Laws (Honours) / Bachelor of Arts from Monash University in June 2020.

Completing Practical Legal Training (Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice)

Offering 2021 Tutoring in VCE Legal Studies (Awarded as Bialik College's top Legal Studies Student in 2014).

Offered via Zoom or in person across Melbourne.  Message me to discuss. Very limited places available.

smile+energy

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • A big smile, the most amazing thing ever.
« Reply #1222 on: May 23, 2014, 06:50:16 am »
Thanks, chasej
2014: English(EAL)   Methods   Biology   Health and human development   Accounting

partition

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #1223 on: May 23, 2014, 07:47:34 pm »
Could someone briefly go over how prepaid expenses work?
Like basically how to calculate what is the expense and what is the prepaid, and then use them in ledgers?
All help would be greatly appreciated!

william.woon

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #1224 on: May 27, 2014, 08:44:39 pm »
Hey guys got a question, do cash purchases have GST included in them and do we have to find the GST from the cash purchase as we do for the Cash Budget
2015: Accounting - Economics
2016: English - Methods - Bus. Man. - Physics - UMEP Accounting
2017: The University of Melbourne BCom
Aim: Study score 40+ Across all subjects except for English
ATAR Aim: 90+

chasej

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1225 on: May 27, 2014, 11:37:16 pm »
Hey guys got a question, do cash purchases have GST included in them and do we have to find the GST from the cash purchase as we do for the Cash Budget

For VCE purposes the transactions always specify if GST is applicable. And it varies, sometimes it says "purchased x for $880 including GST", in which case you divide it by 11 (or simply use intuition) to work out the GST paid is $80. Sometimes it can also say "purchased x for $800 plus GST), in which case you must work out 10% of 800 for the GST of $80.

Not sure if this answered your question as I don't understand what you mean by cash budget?
Graduated with Bachelor of Laws (Honours) / Bachelor of Arts from Monash University in June 2020.

Offering 2021 Tutoring in VCE Legal Studies (Awarded as Bialik College's top Legal Studies Student in 2014).

Offered via Zoom or in person across Melbourne.  Message me to discuss. Very limited places available.

william.woon

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #1226 on: May 27, 2014, 11:43:19 pm »
You answered my question, thanks really helps a lot!
2015: Accounting - Economics
2016: English - Methods - Bus. Man. - Physics - UMEP Accounting
2017: The University of Melbourne BCom
Aim: Study score 40+ Across all subjects except for English
ATAR Aim: 90+

chasej

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1227 on: May 28, 2014, 10:38:03 pm »
Sometimes I make what I refer to "fallacies" like for example when a question states a pre-adjustment trial balance shows drawings to be 1100, but a correcting entry to record 200 of stock drawings is required, I do the correction in part a of the question. But then if the question was to then say in part B to close drawings to the p/l summary acc, I have a tendency to simply record drawings as a 1100 in part B just because I failed to link the parts a and b of the question.

Does anyone have any tips for how to avoid this? Because over practice exams/SACs I've realised this is really what makes the difference between mid and high A+ for me.

Jason12

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +15
  • School: WCC
« Reply #1228 on: May 28, 2014, 11:16:52 pm »
how do balance day adjustments ensure relevance?
2014 ATAR - 88

2015 sem 1 - Bachelor of Business (Accounting/Banking & Finance) - Monash

2015 sem 2 - Present: Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting/Finance), Diploma of Languages (Chinese) - Monash

Oathkeeper

« Reply #1229 on: May 29, 2014, 07:00:36 pm »
how do balance day adjustments ensure relevance?

BDA ensures reports only contain expenses incurred and revenue earned in a given reporting period. Thus, net profit can be calculated accurately and material decision-making can be made based on these reports. Moreover, relevance trumps reliability during the calculation of depreciation as the depreciated value is paramount for decision making (relevance).