Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

October 10, 2026, 06:22:16 pm

Author Topic: Physics questions!  (Read 5685 times)  Share 

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Hutchoo

  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • ******
  • Posts: 2356
  • Mate.
  • Respect: +218
Physics questions!
« on: February 16, 2011, 02:51:28 pm »
0
Heyah guys :)
I'm doing some physics questions and I don't understand this one.

When water runs through a hose at the rate of 0.5 litre per second, it can be calculated that electrons pass any point in the hose each second.

Question:
What electric current (in amps) does this represent?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 06:41:20 am by Hutchoo »

pi

  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • *******
  • Posts: 14348
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
Re: Hutchoo has physics questions!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 03:00:14 pm »
0
Totally forgot this stuff...

Here are some hints though:
- I = Q/t, where I is current (A), Q is charge (C) and t is time (s)
- The charge of an electron is 1.602 × 10^-19 C
- The question has nothing to do with volume, so ignore 'litres'
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 03:03:49 pm by Rohitpi »

Hutchoo

  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • ******
  • Posts: 2356
  • Mate.
  • Respect: +218
Re: Hutchoo has physics questions!
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 03:23:39 pm »
0
Thanks Rohitpi... but this is still confusing me.
I don't understand what 1.7x10^26 has to do with finding the electric current in the equation.


xZero

  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • ****
  • Posts: 898
  • Respect: +68
Re: Hutchoo has physics questions!
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 03:28:35 pm »
0
Im pretty sure its I=nQ/t, where n = number of electrons
2009: Chinese SLA
2010: English, Maths method[45,A+ A+ A+], Specialist maths[44,A+,A,A+], Physics[40,A,A+,A+], Psychology Atar:94.75
2011-2015: Bachelor of Aerospace Engineering/Science @ Monash

Methods/Spesh/Physics tuition

pi

  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • *******
  • Posts: 14348
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
Re: Hutchoo has physics questions!
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 03:33:13 pm »
0
Thanks Rohitpi... but this is still confusing me.
I don't understand what 1.7x10^26 has to do with finding the electric current in the equation.



Thats the number of electrons. To find the total charge times 1.7x10^26 with the charge of an electron (1.602 × 10^-19 C).

Then apply I=Q/t.


Pretty sure thats right (haven't done this stuff for about a year)


Im pretty sure its I=nQ/t, where n = number of electrons
I've never heard of that before...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 03:36:34 pm by Rohitpi »

Hutchoo

  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • ******
  • Posts: 2356
  • Mate.
  • Respect: +218
Re: Hutchoo has physics questions!
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 03:50:18 pm »
0
Alright..
So I'll have a go on here and can you guys tell me where I go wrong?
The answer is 2.7 × 10^7.

I=Q/t
1.7x10^26 x 1.602x10^-19 = Q.
Q = 27234000
t= 0.5.
I= 27234000/0.5 = 54468000.

Obviously it's wrong... ARGH. I don't know what I'm doing wrong :s

pi

  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • *******
  • Posts: 14348
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
Re: Hutchoo has physics questions!
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 03:54:09 pm »
0
I think t=1, not 0.5 (forget litres, it says 'per second' in the latter part of the question)

The answer is still ridiculously large, so I think scientific notation to 2 sig figs (remember 1.7... has 2 sf) will have to be done too (hence, the answer 2.7x10^7 A, remember units!)


Hopefully I'm right.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 03:57:20 pm by Rohitpi »

Hutchoo

  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • ******
  • Posts: 2356
  • Mate.
  • Respect: +218
Re: Hutchoo has physics questions!
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 03:57:50 pm »
0
Oh, dude... T_T
Thanks >.>
It said 1/2 a litre.. and i thought that was the time LOL.

Thanks :D
I'll post more up if i'm confused.

pi

  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • *******
  • Posts: 14348
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
Re: Hutchoo has physics questions!
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 03:59:49 pm »
0
It said 1/2 a litre.. and i thought that was the time LOL.

To be honest, so did I the first time I read it... Its just out there to trick people, always read the question twice.

Thanks :D
Thanks to this question, I now remember all this stuff again!


xZero

  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • ****
  • Posts: 898
  • Respect: +68
Re: Hutchoo has physics questions!
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 04:03:40 pm »
0
adding n where n = number of w/e to an equation is used on exams and such  so just remember when your given a certain number of something (wires, electrons etc) just try adding the n to the equation

eg for magnetic flux in sem2 and the electron question like this 1
2009: Chinese SLA
2010: English, Maths method[45,A+ A+ A+], Specialist maths[44,A+,A,A+], Physics[40,A,A+,A+], Psychology Atar:94.75
2011-2015: Bachelor of Aerospace Engineering/Science @ Monash

Methods/Spesh/Physics tuition

Hutchoo

  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • ******
  • Posts: 2356
  • Mate.
  • Respect: +218
Re: Hutchoo has physics questions!
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 04:17:25 pm »
0
Oh gosh...
The dome on a fully charged Van de Graaff machine may carry something of the order of 50 million million extra electrons. When running well it may take about 3 s to charge up. If we assume no loss of charge in this time, what is the current flowing up the belt to the dome?

I took a look at the answer.. and it has a symbol I've never used before.

THIS IS SERIOUSLY CONFUSING  :uglystupid2:

Mint

  • Guest
Re: Hutchoo has physics questions!
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 04:19:53 pm »
0
Microamps! Im probably wrong..

Cthulhu

  • Guest
Re: Hutchoo has physics questions!
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 04:25:22 pm »
0
is a greek letter and is used to represent micro-whatevers which is a millionth of whatevers.

Hutchoo

  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • ******
  • Posts: 2356
  • Mate.
  • Respect: +218
Re: Hutchoo has physics questions!
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 04:31:32 pm »
0
Thanks for telling me what the symbol for micro was :) I didn't know.
Also, how would you show workings for that question 0.o?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 05:09:18 pm by Hutchoo »

Whatlol

  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • ****
  • Posts: 928
  • Respect: +2
Re: Hutchoo has physics questions!
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 05:04:26 pm »
0
 the charge on one electron is  1.60217733 × 10-19 (the number of electrons in one culoumb is the inverse of this)

Number of culoumbs = 1.60217733 × 10-19 x 50 x10^12 = 8.01x10^-6 C

I = Q/t

8.01x10^-6 / 3   = 2.67x10^-6 A

 to one sig figure which gives you 3 x10^-6 A

« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 05:19:23 pm by Whatlol »
failed uni