Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 06:25:21 am

Author Topic: Liuy's PE Questions  (Read 35578 times)  Share 

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +66
Re: Liuy's PE Questions
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 01:12:16 am »
Cheers guys.

Would it be advisable to learn about Food and Chemical Fuels before hitting the Energy Systems?

or should I get a good grasp on the Energy Systems first?

we learnt about the food/chemical fuels first and then moved on to energy systems, i'd probably suggest this too. :)
2010 VCE: psychology | english language | methods cas | further | chemistry | physical ed | uni chemistry || ATAR: 97.40 ||

2011: BSc @ UoM

Y1: biology of cells&organisms | music psychology | biological psychology | secret life of language | creative writing
    || genetics&the evolution of life | biochemistry&molecular biology | techniques of molecular science -.- | mind,brain&behaviour 2

20XX: MEDICINE

Predator

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 11:12:51 am »
I also agree with what Vexx said.
If you do the food and chemical fuels first you will be able to adapt it to what the energy systems use quite easily.
ATAR 2010: 84.70

Physical Education: 40
Further Maths: 38
Economics: 36
Design & Technology: 35
English: 34
Visual Communication and Design: 34

Liuy

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +5
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2011, 10:03:07 pm »
This is regarding a dot point in the study design.
"relative contribution of the energy systems and fuels used to produce ATP in relation to the exercise intensity, duration and type."

I cannot seem to find this section in the textbooks I have, would it be intermingled with the previous dot point which is:

"characteristics and interplay of the three energy systems for physical activity, including rate of ATP production, the capacity of each energy system and the contribution of each energy system."

I wish PE textbooks set out their content more clearly...

Thanks !
'10: Chinese SLA [38]
'11: Legal Studies [50] | English [44] | Physical Education [41] | Psychology [31] + Methods
ATAR:97.85

'12: Monash University - Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Laws

lexitu

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • When I grow up I'm going to Bovine University.
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2011, 10:08:26 pm »
Yep, pretty much. They've just made an extra point because I'm guessing they couldn't be stuffed adding that information to both fuels and energy systems.

flash36

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2011, 10:46:33 pm »
It's also good to know rough percentage contributions of each energy system in particular sports.

Liuy

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2011, 09:04:41 pm »
Just had a skim through the sample questions for the new PE course 2011 that VCAA put up, this question stood out a bit:

"Using the social ecological model as a framework, draw and label a simple diagram to illustrate the levels
of the model and on your diagram provide one example of a factor at each level that might influence older
adults’ (65+ years) participation in physical activity."

Answer:
Individual: Level of Self Efficacy
Social: Amount Family encouragement to undertake Physical Activity/ Friends level of Physical Activity.
Environment: If Local Environment is user-friendly for older people to undertake activity (provide many places for frequent rest, less physical barriers such as steep hills etc)
Policy: Local Council's implementation of policies to allow the older people to perceive the potential gains and rewards from physical activity as well as increasing awareness of opportunities for Older people to become more active.

How can I improve my answer?
'11: Legal Studies [50] | English [44] | Physical Education [41] | Psychology [31] + Methods

lexitu

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2011, 09:45:12 pm »
You need to make all of your examples specific to 65+ year olds. Also, you should state "physical environment" - that's a mark off right there, there can be social, physical, even policy environments. A bit more concision would help as you wouldn't have much room or time for such a simple question in an exam. But overall seems like have the gist of it, I'm just being harsh :)

Liuy

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2011, 11:51:00 pm »
Thanks heaps Lex :)

Are we allowed to use the term "catabolism" for the breakdown of fats, carbs and protein ?

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2011, 12:15:38 am »
Thanks heaps Lex :)

Are we allowed to use the term "catabolism" for the breakdown of fats, carbs and protein ?

if you use it correctly than yes of course - like if you were talking about fats(lipids) being broken down into fatty acids..
2010 VCE: psychology | english language | methods cas | further | chemistry | physical ed | uni chemistry || ATAR: 97.40 ||

Y1: biology of cells&organisms | music psychology | biological psychology | secret life of language | creative writing
    || genetics&the evolution of life | biochemistry&molecular biology | techniques of molecular science -.- | mind,brain&behaviour 2

Liuy

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2011, 01:25:40 am »
Cheers Vexx.

Sorry guys, a bit of a conflict in information between texts here, would you guys interpret the "50:50" mark representing 50% aerobic and 50% anaerobic ATP contribution to be occurring at the 60sec mark during maximal exercise or the 75sec mark?

Thanks in advance.

lexitu

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2011, 01:34:14 am »
It would vary, it's not really important as far as knowing the exact time, but yeah, around 60 seconds.

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2011, 01:56:35 am »
It would vary, it's not really important as far as knowing the exact time, but yeah, around 60 seconds.

yeah around 60 seconds is where 50/50 occurs from what we learnt.

SFX

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2011, 02:56:13 pm »
Now on the topic of fatigue and recovery: what would be a good definition for overheating and which strategies can be used to recover from this?

flash36

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2011, 04:26:16 pm »
Are you asking how overheating is a fatigue factor?

Basically overheating causes an elevation in the body's core temperature, and as a result more oxygen is used by the skin to facilitate the cooling process which is a natural mechanism of the body. This means less oxygen is available at the muscle for energy production, meaning slower and less ATP production aerobically, which in itself causes reduced effort and fatigue, and also increases the contribution of anaerobic energy systems which produce fatiguing byproducts.

Recovery strategies for overheating are ice vests, ice baths, cold showers and rehydration. (overheating instigates dehydration).
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 04:28:55 pm by flasha »

lexitu

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2011, 04:41:22 pm »
Increases in heat are detected and blood vessels near the skin dilate which leads to a diversion of blood from the muscles to the skin. Heat is transferred from the blood in vessels near the skin to the environment. As flasha said, this increases anaerobic metabolism because muscles receive less blood flow which correlates with less oxygen supply. Sweating increases with rising body temp, and this decreases blood plasma volume as some of the sweat comes from fluids in the liquid of the blood. Because there's a lower blood volume, stroke volume will suffer, again contributing to decreased muscle oxygen supply if the same heart rate is kept. Flasha's recovery strategies are good. During an event, logical strategies can also be implemented - hydration, cooling with towels, etc.