Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 05, 2024, 07:47:38 am

Author Topic: Yay for VU x3  (Read 42222 times)  Share 

bubble sunglasses

Re: Yay for VU x3
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2008, 06:47:41 pm »
I think also that uni and 'academic standards' can't count for passion. For example, most people would probably prefer a doctor who couldn't get into undergrad medicine because their ENTER and UMAT was just under what they needed, but enrolled in another degree, tried really hard and had their mind set on postgrad med and eventually got in through sheer determination then someone who reported that the UMAT was 'piss easy' and decided to apply for med 'because my ENTER was high enough and everyone thought I should'. Likewise, I'd prefer to go to say, a Deakin graduate lawyer who is extremely passionate about Law and justice then a Melbourne graduate who only did law because they got the ENTER for it.

Of course, I'm not saying that the Melbourne graduate or the person who finds their way into their course of choice an easy process will lack passion, but if they do they should pale in comparison to a hard worker who loves every second of what they do, regardless of what school they are a graduate from.

The douchebag not known for their wonderful bedside manner might be the best though. Especially for surgery, you'd value expertise over passion

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2008, 11:18:26 am »
Yeah. I'm assuming though that with the right training and experience, the expertise of graduates is fairly homogeneous.

AppleXY

• Life cannot be Delta Hedged.
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Even when the bears bite, confidence never dies.
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2008, 11:36:39 pm »
question applexy: when u said "efficiently than effectively"... if u were an employer... would you want someone who got everything out in a day... but had bits missing or incorrect half the time? or someone who took their time to look over stuff and got it 100% right everytime and got the job done perfectly?

What? When I mean efficiently, I mean efficiently where you do the work effectively just with minimal down-time and high output for the corporation. Yes, you're argument may have truth where it's not always about the University, however, if three people (as a hypothetical) (one from UoM others from VU and RMIT) were in the selection hot seat and only one can be picked, the employer would definitely select the UoM graduate. Not only does the UoM candidate have a strong academic background, the employer can be rest-assured that he/she knows their stuphs and is able to complete the task at end with minimal lag.

2009 - BBus (Econometrics/Economics&Fin) @ Monash

For Email: click here

Need a question answered? Merspi it!

[quote="Benjamin F

wallah11

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2008, 01:20:42 pm »
I like VU
I put in for paramedics(no 3)
I put in a portfolio partnership application careers said BEST IN SCHOOL
so im happy I should get an offer
YAY

Odette.

« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2008, 01:45:30 pm »
I like VU
I put in for paramedics(no 3)
I put in a portfolio partnership application careers said BEST IN SCHOOL
so im happy I should get an offer
YAY
Yay someone else who likes VU xD woot!

transgression

• de Modular, corp.
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2008, 03:06:23 pm »
I put in paramedics as well :D
Quote from:  wah wah
FACEBOOK

wallah11

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2008, 05:02:02 pm »
wooo
i think that VU paramedics is better than monash, and plus VU is very dte they don't bother with all the flashy advertising and marketing stunts

Odette.

« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2008, 05:47:11 pm »
wooo
i think that VU paramedics is better than monash, and plus VU is very dte they don't bother with all the flashy advertising and marketing stunts

Lol... that's one way to look at it :D

mz_luvable_

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2008, 07:42:35 pm »
VU rockssss!!!!

wallah11

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2008, 08:08:14 pm »
people who say its not very good, i say, have you even been there ?

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2008, 02:44:00 pm »

Personally, I like VU.

However, I did have a conversation with a lecturer (Commerce field) who quit in protest of them basically giving out degrees and passing every1.
Judging from a few cases I know of (including my own mother) I understand that it's quite hard to fail a unit.

Perhaps if VU were a bit stricter with who they passed and who they failed, VU graduates as a whole would have a better reputation.
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

nitrous1990

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2008, 09:32:59 pm »
I study at VU and i'm also studying the same degree as Odette, Accounting/Banking and Finance. I got in through mid year intake after studying a semester of mechanical engineering at RMIT. After spending a semester at VU I've grown to enjoy my time at the university. Although it doesn't have the same reputation and prestige as larger universities such as Melbourne or Monash, VU is still a university which you will walk away with a degree after completing your course. By going to VU you might lower your job prospects because of the competition of graduates from the other more prestigious universities. But if you are willing to study hard, get good marks and gain some work experience in your chosen profession, there is no reason why you won't be able to start a successful career after university.
|| 2007 ENTER: 81.60 || English, Mathematical Methods, Further Maths, Physics, Software Development ||

Odette.

« Reply #72 on: November 14, 2008, 05:39:27 pm »
I study at VU and i'm also studying the same degree as Odette, Accounting/Banking and Finance. I got in through mid year intake after studying a semester of mechanical engineering at RMIT. After spending a semester at VU I've grown to enjoy my time at the university. Although it doesn't have the same reputation and prestige as larger universities such as Melbourne or Monash, VU is still a university which you will walk away with a degree after completing your course. By going to VU you might lower your job prospects because of the competition of graduates from the other more prestigious universities. But if you are willing to study hard, get good marks and gain some work experience in your chosen profession, there is no reason why you won't be able to start a successful career after university.

Spoken like a true VU student ^_^ lol.
Anyways how did you go with your exams?
I entered VU the same time you did, hehe, started mid year.How are you finding the course so far? I kinda like it, although economics was a bore >_>... I just hope I stick to this course, for some reason I'm leaning more to a career in design, possibly either fashion or interior design. I do like accounting though, I'm confused, lol.

nitrous1990

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2008, 09:14:44 pm »
I think I did okay in my exams, but economics confused me a little lol. How did you go with your exams? I know how hard it is to decide what you are going to do for the rest of your life and I hope you find the career that is right for you. I'm trying to change to the single degree accounting so I can do the electives to do the ICAA program. With the double degree you can't be a chartered accountant because it doesn't have taxation and auditing. I wish they told me this before I started.
|| 2007 ENTER: 81.60 || English, Mathematical Methods, Further Maths, Physics, Software Development ||

Odette.

« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2008, 12:29:14 am »
I think I did okay in my exams, but economics confused me a little lol. How did you go with your exams? I know how hard it is to decide what you are going to do for the rest of your life and I hope you find the career that is right for you. I'm trying to change to the single degree accounting so I can do the electives to do the ICAA program. With the double degree you can't be a chartered accountant because it doesn't have taxation and auditing. I wish they told me this before I started.

I think I did alright, I mean yeah economics confused me a little too, I hated economics anyways lol hope you did well ^_^... as for the accounting part, I see where you're coming from, I wasn't told this either, so I was like O_O when I found out that you can't be a chartered accountant. I honestly don't know what I want to do, I mean I like accounting but there is no passion for it, like I do for something to do with say fashion or design. Maybe I'm in the wrong field, my parents are going to kill me, I've changed once already.Looks like I'll need some time to think things through.