Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 10:01:18 am

Author Topic: the LIP  (Read 9150 times)  Share 

bucket

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +8
the LIP
« on: October 11, 2008, 04:49:42 pm »
very simple concept i'm sure, but what is it?
I've done very little homework in this subject all year :S I will love anyone who takes the time to explain what exactly happens at the LIP.
xx
Monash University
Science/Engineering (Maths, Physics and Electrical Engineering)

transgression

• de Modular, corp.
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +27
Re: the LIP
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 04:48:58 pm »
I will try answering this question as it will help me gain a better understanding of the concept. Be sure to correct me where I am wrong as I did not do units 1/2 last year and find it as a little tricky concept to get around.

Apparently, LIP wasn't done very well last year, and so, like always, VCAA tests topics that were not done well in the previous year. It is very likely that they will have LIP this year, if not all the past exam papers.

From my understanding, Lactate Inflection Point (LIP) is where lactic acid starts to accumulate in the blood stream. This occurs because lactic acid is produced faster than it can be metabolised/removed.

Intensities beyond the LIP = fatigue. The higher the exercise intensity above the LIP, the more rapid the fatigue is. This is because there is a greater reliance on the anaerobic metabolism to supply ATP, which results in accumulating by-products.

[IMG]http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/5236/fdsfme0.th.jpg[/img][IMG]http://img133.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif[/img]
This  graphs shows where LIP occurs. Be sure to know how to look at a graph and pinpoint where it unfolds.
Quote from:  wah wah
FACEBOOK

bucket

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 11:33:26 pm »
Ah I see, cheers mate.
Monash University

ausyid

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 10:13:49 pm »
I will try answering this question as it will help me gain a better understanding of the concept. Be sure to correct me where I am wrong as I did not do units 1/2 last year and find it as a little tricky concept to get around.

Apparently, LIP wasn't done very well last year, and so, like always, VCAA tests topics that were not done well in the previous year. It is very likely that they will have LIP this year, if not all the past exam papers.

From my understanding, Lactate Inflection Point (LIP) is where lactic acid starts to accumulate in the blood stream. This occurs because lactic acid is produced faster than it can be metabolised/removed.

Intensities beyond the LIP = fatigue. The higher the exercise intensity above the LIP, the more rapid the fatigue is. This is because there is a greater reliance on the anaerobic metabolism to supply ATP, which results in accumulating by-products.

[IMG]http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/5236/fdsfme0.th.jpg[/img][IMG]http://img133.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif[/img]
This  graphs shows where LIP occurs. Be sure to know how to look at a graph and pinpoint where it unfolds.

Avoid using that statement as it is incorrect. Lactic acid has already begun accumulating before the LIP, however when it reaches a point where it is (as you say) being produced faster than it can be removed, the LIP has been reached.

A broad statement for the LIP is that it reflects the balance between lactate entry into, and removal from the blood.

melaniej

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 03:05:28 pm »
A good definition for LIP is the point at which lactate accumulation exceeds lactate removal. When LIP is reached, you are using your anaerobic glycolysis system (LA system).

Occurs at 85% MHR, but this can be increased to about 90% MHR by training at an intensity of between 85-90%MHR (anaerobically).

I think thats the main points we need to know about LIP!

bucket

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 03:45:27 pm »
Wow, thanks a lot everyone.
Monash University

cafa

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 09:20:39 pm »
i thort that the LIP was the point at which lactate uptake and removal from the bloodstream was in equilibrium...

melaniej

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 09:30:18 pm »
It's the balance between lactate entry and removal from the blood. Therefore at intensities beyond this, then fatigue occurs. I dont think we need to be overly specific about it, just know that it is the point at which lactate accumulates, and hence leads to fatigue.

cafa

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 11:44:51 am »
isn't the point at when accumulation occurs called OBLA (onset of blood lactate accumulation) and LIP just refers toi the point when entry and removal is in the balance??

mtwtfss

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 11:47:14 am »
LIP isn't the point when entry and removal is in balance (equilibrium).

Because if it was, then right now, where you are sitting you would be 'experiencing' your LIP.

Which of course, your not.

bridgethuss

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 12:35:24 pm »

Because if it was, then right now, where you are sitting you would be 'experiencing' your LIP.

my pe teacher said it was the balance, and so did the guy in the lecture i went to...
2007 -
health and human development (33)

2008 -
literature (34..still confused by that)
english (37)
psychology (35)
biology (28...lolllll)
physical education (31...this was a good surprise!)

aiming for 83+
ENTER - 77.65
have been offered first pref. :)

2009 - year off

2010 - health sciences at deakin (waurn ponds)
:)

mtwtfss

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 12:50:33 pm »
Yeah balance, but not when it equals eachother.

If it is when it equals eachother, then LIP would be the plateau in lactate levels, and not the rising of levels.

cafa

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 04:03:40 pm »

ill disagree with ya on that 1 ther 2
cause wen ur at rest wuldnt removal b higher then uptake due to cells breaking it down and the body removing it as "waste"?? taking in2 account that the lactate system does still operate during rest and ther is always at least trace amounts of lactic acid in the bloodstream at all times

melaniej

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 04:12:27 pm »
Well, they will only remove as much as they need.
ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW FOR LIP!
It is the point at which lactate begins to accumulate at a faster rate than which it can be removed.
It occurs at ~85% MHR but this can be increased to ~90% with training.
Once LIP is reached, blood-lactate levels and H+ levels increase, and if the athlete is to continue working they must decrease their intensity or fatigue will soon follow.

Just don't think too much into it, use what the textbook and notes say.

mtwtfss

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 05:43:59 pm »

ill disagree with ya on that 1 ther 2
cause wen ur at rest wuldnt removal b higher then uptake due to cells breaking it down and the body removing it as "waste"?? taking in2 account that the lactate system does still operate during rest and ther is always at least trace amounts of lactic acid in the bloodstream at all times

If the removal is faster than enterance then we would end up with no lactate in the blood :O :O. Will never happen!

Therefore entry = removal.