Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 06:04:00 am

Author Topic: The Politics Test - which party suits you?  (Read 18557 times)  Share 

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
Re: The Politics Test - which party suits you?
« Reply #195 on: September 25, 2008, 09:00:27 pm »
But if the benefits actually outweigh the costs, then it would happen by the market mechanism. You wouldn't need coercion to do it. That is, if condom machines were going to be used to benefit the high school (prevent the cases of teenage pregnancy, or even the profits from sales), then the high school should be free to choose whether to install it or not. I am not the expert, and neither is the government. The experts are those running the schools, those with the incentive to keep its reputation and funding high.

TrueLight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #196 on: September 25, 2008, 09:14:00 pm »
i have absolutely no idea about economics but go free markets! lol yes wateva ron paul says...
http://www.campaignforliberty.com

Completed Bachelor of Science. Majored in Immunology and Microbiology.

“Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past.”
George Orwell, 1984.

"Terrorism is the best political weapon for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
Adolf Hitler

“The bigger the lie, the more inclined people will be to believe it”
Adolf Hitler

"Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #197 on: September 25, 2008, 09:17:13 pm »
i have absolutely no idea about economics but go free markets! lol yes wateva ron paul says...

Haha, dude. You should try to understand them if you really think he's so amazing. A wise man once said that if you're convinced by what you see on video, you're not really convinced. Someone of the opposite persuasion can simply convince you on another evening. What you really need to do is explore the ideas yourself, re-read the ideas, and let the ideas simmer and ferment in your mind.

"The only person who can truly persuade you is yourself. You must turn the issues over in your mind at leisure, consider the many arguments, let them simmer, and after a long time turn your preferences into convictions."

TrueLight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #198 on: September 25, 2008, 09:18:27 pm »
yeah i know but still .... ron paul is the best

“Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past.”
George Orwell, 1984.

"Terrorism is the best political weapon for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler

"Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just

bubble sunglasses

« Reply #199 on: September 25, 2008, 09:18:45 pm »

Haha, dude. You should try to understand them if you really think he's so amazing. A wise man once said that if you're convinced by what you see on video, you're not really convinced. Someone of the opposite persuasion can simply convince you on another evening. What you really need to do is explore the ideas yourself, re-read the ideas, and let the ideas simmer and ferment in your mind.

heh, interesting response, not what I was expecting :)

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #200 on: September 25, 2008, 09:19:40 pm »
yeah i know but still .... ron paul is the best

If you need help finding resources, here's a start:

YouTube John Stossel on Education and John Stossel on Greed, read mises.org

Read Capitalism and Freedom, Read Free to Choose (or watch the PBS series) - both by Milton Friedman. You can Google all of these. They are all relevant to the message of Ron Paul. You can start with watching the video resources, but if you're still really passionate, it would be beneficial to borrow one of the books, and read it on the way home or something.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 09:21:49 pm by coblin »

TrueLight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #201 on: September 25, 2008, 09:22:10 pm »
ah ok that john stossel i think ive seen him in some video -stupid in america i think brendan posted it a while ago... i think

George Orwell, 1984.

Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #202 on: September 25, 2008, 09:22:45 pm »
Yeah, that was the Education one :P

jess3254

« Reply #203 on: September 25, 2008, 11:12:06 pm »

I assure you, despite trying hard to consider and listen to your pro-capitalism arguments, I remain completely unconvinced. I just don't think a system of capitalism with no regulation would work in practice (nor does it work in theory). I have my views. I am for a system of capitalist welfare (if that makes sense? Pretty much what we've got now.) I believe part of being a democracy is that everyone should contribute financially to the improvement and expansion of a country they inhabit, and should assist with the care of its citizens for a healthier and more productive society.

Perhaps you could have an 'opt-out' system for tax, however, the individuals who do opt-out will have to pay on the spot to use the roads, pay a lot more to use the public transport, fork out lots of money for health care, pay for full university fees, pay for full school fees, use of libraries etc. I don't know.

Government will end up JUST trying to appeal to the big business and such. And capitalism will not magically help poor people. If you really hate the way the system is structured, go exercise your democratic right and move to a different country.

I respect your point of view, so please respect mine and everyone else's. Your views aren't necessarily the correct ones.

Anyhow.

p.s. Please take the fact that I didn't have any sleep last night into account when reading this post  ;)

LOL
I thought I dreamt posting this 3 nights ago...

Velox

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Carpe Noctem
  • Respect: +1
2009:
International Studies
2010:
English, Methods, Legal Studies, Economics, Accounting

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #205 on: September 28, 2008, 06:12:01 pm »
Velox!

You are a libertarian! Cool.

cara.mel

« Reply #206 on: September 28, 2008, 08:08:43 pm »
http://www.ozpolitics.info/guide/fun/politics-test/?id=e3c78329b295d07adba7e1b4a529116c

11 months ago I got http://www.ozpolitics.info/guide/fun/politics-test/?id=298f0bd79755351f85b54542c93f62b1

It's amazing you can change a lot in regards to this stuff (overall I am a more extreme version of my past self, when beforehand I barely knew of coblin, brendan, dcc etc and wtf 'libertarian' is)

costargh

« Reply #207 on: September 28, 2008, 08:37:29 pm »
Yeh they have pretty persuasive arguments and what they say makes sense!!!
Is it wrong to be a libertarian but not wanting to vote liberal? lol

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #208 on: September 28, 2008, 09:00:22 pm »
Yeh they have pretty persuasive arguments and what they say makes sense!!!
Is it wrong to be a libertarian but not wanting to vote liberal? lol

No. You really have to ask yourself who will make the least concessions on liberty. Liberal is not necessarily that party.

costargh

« Reply #209 on: September 28, 2008, 09:20:51 pm »
hmm. yeh well I haven't been able to identify massive differences between labor and liberal so I guess I'll just have to keep that in consideration and try and identify it.