Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 04, 2024, 06:55:56 am

Author Topic: how do you know  (Read 1585 times)  Share 

maybejustmaybe

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
how do you know
« on: December 19, 2008, 06:38:20 pm »
if you'd be a good tutor?

next year i'm tutoring my sister (unofficially obviously) in english and australian history, but she's not too focused on her schooling and is only doing it via distance ed so that if she ever needs some qualifications, she has them (her career is in dancing and blah blah blah)

i've tutored people before, but never for money and they've said i'm a good teacher and i explain things well

i wouldn't want to do VCE tutoring because it's too important, but i was thinking maybe year 9-10 tutoring?

anyway, my point is - do you just go out and tutor subjects you're good at and see how you go, or do you need to know you're a good tutor first?
enter: 91.25
lit - 38
revs - 38
renaissance - 34
politics - 40
legal - 37

Odette.

Re: how do you know
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 06:41:24 pm »
if you'd be a good tutor?

next year i'm tutoring my sister (unofficially obviously) in english and australian history, but she's not too focused on her schooling and is only doing it via distance ed so that if she ever needs some qualifications, she has them (her career is in dancing and blah blah blah)

i've tutored people before, but never for money and they've said i'm a good teacher and i explain things well

i wouldn't want to do VCE tutoring because it's too important, but i was thinking maybe year 9-10 tutoring?

anyway, my point is - do you just go out and tutor subjects you're good at and see how you go, or do you need to know you're a good tutor first?

May I suggest that you go on some sort of trial period with younger students?, and perhaps create some sort of progress report every month or so, to see if your methods are working, and once you get a little more experienced, start tutoring VCE students...

xox.happy1.xox

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 06:42:34 pm »
Or tutor at schools... I'm doing that next year at my school!... $50 a session! :D

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 07:23:20 pm »
I suppose you could volunteer or something first to find out. Some libraries have after school tutoring sessions, I suppose you could see if one of the tutors would be willing to have you apprentice, so to speak.

maybejustmaybe

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 09:59:06 pm »
thanks guys! :)
enter: 91.25
lit - 38
revs - 38
renaissance - 34
politics - 40