Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 11, 2024, 08:37:32 pm

Author Topic: Plastic Surgery  (Read 4351 times)  Share 

bubble sunglasses

Plastic Surgery
« on: December 26, 2008, 10:54:41 am »
   note: the question doesn't pertain to people who have suffered severe damage to their bodies, or have been born with features vastly different to the [relative] norm. Nor is it asking about how effective different types of surgery are.

Here are two different viewpoints

"If a woman likes my boobs she should know where to go and get them." 
   "I like unnatural beauty. What's natural anyway?"
-Dita von Teese

"I find [plastic surgery] absolutely bizarre ... I look at people sort of entombing themselves and all you see is their little pinholes of terror and ... you think 'Just live your life. Accept where you are',"

-Cate Blanchett

Odette.

Re: Plastic Surgery
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 01:17:32 pm »
Well in all honesty, a bit of plastic surgery is okay with me, I mean when it gets to the point where they look like Michael Jackson, then they've gone too far. People should be content with the way they look, and if it means having to change something then that's fine by me.

shonakennedy

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 01:24:34 pm »
i dont believe there is anything wrong with it. people should not have to accept who they are when there is technology being developed to facilitate their needs. i mean, what is the difference between a woman getting a nose job because she has psychological issues from being teased about its size her whole life, compared to any other surgery? its all the same. we remove a tumor incase is becomes cancerous, and we make out boobs bigger or smaller for our own psychological needs or lack of self esteem. yes people do it for attention, but who are we to judge? its their body. people can better themselves however they deem fit.

2007: Bio[32]-HHD[36]
2008: English[43]-Lit[32]-Further[39]-Psych[35]-Chem[25]
2009: Bachelor of Nursing/Midwifery (Y)

Desired ENTER:            Actual ENTER:
> 9000                        85.80

hard

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 03:28:12 pm »
plastic surgery has nothing wrong with in in my perspective.

Matt The Rat

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 03:46:01 pm »
I am a deeply superficial person.

I love Los Angeles. I love Hollywood. They're beautiful. Everybody's plastic, but I love plastic. I want to be plastic.

- Andy Warhol

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 04:27:18 pm »
I wouldn't ban it or anything, I just have no idea why people would want to have unnecessary surgery (unless they had defects or whatever). There are risks involved in all surgery, so why would you put yourself through that for no health related reason?

I tend to think that people who choose plastic surgery have more problems stemming from within than on the outside. Being classically 'beautiful' doesn't necessarily change your chances of attracting people and being loved. It doesn't make life easier. It doesn't eradicate 100% of all flaws. It doesn't mean that you're going to start looking in the mirror and say 'how beautiful am I?', it just means that you'll cultivate new hang-ups. And it's expensive! So then, what is the motivation behind wanting to have plastic surgery?

shonakennedy

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 04:30:55 pm »
I wouldn't ban it or anything, I just have no idea why people would want to have unnecessary surgery (unless they had defects or whatever). There are risks involved in all surgery, so why would you put yourself through that for no health related reason?

I tend to think that people who choose plastic surgery have more problems stemming from within than on the outside. Being classically 'beautiful' doesn't necessarily change your chances of attracting people and being loved. It doesn't make life easier. It doesn't eradicate 100% of all flaws. It doesn't mean that you're going to start looking in the mirror and say 'how beautiful am I?', it just means that you'll cultivate new hang-ups. And it's expensive! So then, what is the motivation behind wanting to have plastic surgery?

thats all well and good. but some people feel the need to change their appearance for their own individual reasons. alot of the times its from a cruel childhood of taunts and depression. and for some its just vainity that drives them to the scalpel. i am vain in a sense. id probably have a few little things done when im older and richer. nothing wrong with that. do you have this same view of older women recieving botox treatment and boob jobs and other such procedures?

2007: Bio[32]-HHD[36]
2008: English[43]-Lit[32]-Further[39]-Psych[35]-Chem[25]
2009: Bachelor of Nursing/Midwifery (Y)

Desired ENTER:            Actual ENTER:
> 9000                        85.80

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 04:33:57 pm »
I would never do it, but what other people choose to do doesn't bother me. If Michael Jackson wants to look like that, let him. If having bits of plastic in your body makes you happy, then go for it.
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

Eriny

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 06:06:01 pm »

thats all well and good. but some people feel the need to change their appearance for their own individual reasons. alot of the times its from a cruel childhood of taunts and depression. and for some its just vainity that drives them to the scalpel. i am vain in a sense. id probably have a few little things done when im older and richer. nothing wrong with that. do you have this same view of older women recieving botox treatment and boob jobs and other such procedures?
I think that there are other, more effective ways in which one can feel good about themselves. Further, people shouldn't have plastic surgery due to mental illness - that's the kind of thing plastic surgeons ought to screen against. Really, if someone decides to get plastic surgery, it's their business - I just think it would be better for them to seek alternative methods to fulfill whatever it is that they are currently lacking.

I don't really have an opinion on botox. I guess it isn't quite as drastic as plastic surgery, but I wouldn't personally waste my money on a procedure that freezes my face (note: I'm aware that this doesn't mean other people shouldn't have the choice, I just personally think that it's silly).

hard

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008, 06:43:14 pm »
if you have a nose that is rather large (according to the dictates and strictures of a superficial society) and you don't like it, whats the harm in having a nose job and 'refining your appearance'.
nothing

cobby

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2008, 07:35:22 pm »
Everyone to themselves :)
If they feel they can better themselves by using plastic surgery, then go for it :D
Although personally i cant see myself undergoing plastic surgery, its quite expensive :P
2008 - Economics
2009 - Maths Methods CAS
          English
          I.T Apps
          P.E

scumel

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2008, 07:38:34 pm »
revelation here
i've had it, mostly for health/medical reasons but i could have chosen not to...
so, i think that if the individual really seeks to benefit and feels that their life would be enhanced by it then let them. im not a huge fan of these botox obsessed people who go on 60+ surgeries, but then again its their life.
plastic surgery and its development has changed the lives of many though, no doubt.

Eriny

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2008, 10:19:18 pm »
if you have a nose that is rather large (according to the dictates and strictures of a superficial society) and you don't like it, whats the harm in having a nose job and 'refining your appearance'.
nothing
Apart from potential surgical complications...

hard

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2008, 10:23:23 pm »
nothing
Apart from potential surgical complications...
although the risk is small if you go to a well trained, highly skilled doctor.

bubble sunglasses

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2008, 12:49:58 am »
 Matt: "deeply superficial" Nice. I like it :)