Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 17, 2024, 11:19:55 am

Author Topic: Reference: Features of Australian English  (Read 4018 times)  Share 

AppleThief

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
Reference: Features of Australian English
« on: January 07, 2009, 12:32:44 pm »
+3
This can be stickied if anyone thinks it is worthwhile. I also have a bunch of other stuff on AE if anyone is interested, considering there's an emphasis on it in EL.

EDIT 14/1/09: Fixed two examples I accidentally switched around

Phonology
  • HRT, especially among younger people
    In "Down Under", Bill Bryson states HRT drives older Australians crazy, however, that he finds the use of the rising intonation "endearing and sometimes charmingly sexy"
  • non-rhotic
  • diphthongs become monophthongs (beer = )
  • monophthongs become diphthongs (law = lawah )
  • (broad) drawn-out vowel sounds (me = moiye, a la Kath & Kim)
  • (broad) elongated vowel sounds (Monda=y)

Lexicology
  • slang/more informal
    - "Most Aussies don’t think twice about getting a stubby from of the esky and watching the footy on the telly"
    - In "Down Under", Bill Bryson cites Australian colloquialisms. He includes the dialogue in his text to create humour, to highlight the colourful way Aussies speak and to convey the relaxed attitudes and easy-going manner of Australians – they speak informally. For example, "no worries, mate", "Surfers" (Surfers Paradise), "boogie boarding", "heaps of fun", "bluey" (blue bottle)
  • references to Australian flora/fauna/geography
  • swearing/vulgar language

Morphology
  • diminutives/hypocoristics
    - Linguist Roland Sussex has listed over 4000 words that have been shortened or modified, which include proper nouns, common nouns, verbs and adjectives, such as ambo (ambulance officer), firie (fire officer), pollie (politician), and pav (pavlova)
    - Some of these words have been accepted into our national dictionaries
    - Foreigners are often puzzled by the use of diminutives, which to some, sound like “children’s language”
    - Wierzbecka identified hypocoristics as a “solidarity code”, used to mark in-group belonging of Australians. Hypocoristics require Australian phonology to be consistent. Furthermore, not using diminutives will often sound stilted, unnatural or formal. For example, most Australians use the term “uni” rather than “university” in their speech.

Semantics
  • indirect
    - As commented on by Bill Bryson in Down Under, Australians often ask favours in a “curiously circular way”, such as “you wouldn’t get a snap of me in front of the statue would you?”
    - It is considered rude to be too direct in making requests of others, so phrases such as “you wouldn’t mind…” and “is it possible to…” are adopted.
    - Therefore, Australians often perceive speakers from other countries who are more direct in their requests as being demanding and rude
  • understatement
    - Australians speak informally, often using understatements, such, for example, a string from a blue bottle “might be a bit uncomfortable”
  • litotes (you're not wrong = you're right)

Syntax
  • (broad) final -but
    - Final “but”, used to indicate concession, “it was alright, but”. Also good for hedging, “she was a bit of a bitch, but”. Can express something that would rather go unsaid. “Sonny isn’t a killer, but…” Can be used as a question “You were happy, but…”
    - Final but phenomenon is a distinctive marker of Australian English across all age groups – though not found in grammar books

Discourse analysis
  • discourse particle yeah-no
    - The paradoxical phrase “yeah, no” is being used by the young and old in many different contexts to fulfil several meanings. It has appeared in television programs such as "All Saints" and "Packed to the Rafters". A study found that the phrase is used by people of all ages and both genders. Although some linguists expected the phrase to be more commonly used by females (who often work harder to keep dialogue afloat) the “yeah, no” custom is unisex. It has moved from Australian to American English, rather than the other way round.
    - The earliest noted outbreaks occurred in post-match interviews – footballers deflecting personal credit
    - Linguists Kate Burridge and Margaret Florey wrote a pioneer study on the phrase called Yeah-No He’s a Good Kid. They wrote that “Anglo culture operates with the idea of harmony in mind with a strong preference for agreement and compromise.” We like to agree with each other, which summons “yeah, no” – a weak agreement, a softened dissent.

Functions of "yeah-no" include (according to KBudge)
    - propositional: agreeing and disagreeing (yeah, no the movie was OK)
    - textual: link/fluency device used to signal previous topic (yeah, no mum's well. thanks for asking)
    - personal: hedge that muffles bad news or reduces a comment's force (yeah, no, we should be finished a month late)
    - the squelch: certain topics may end in "yeah, no" as a coded warning against further discussion
    - emphatic (yes, no, "The Producers" was fantastic!)

References
  • Macmillan EL
  • Heinemann EL
  • Down Under by Bill Bryson
  • Australian hypocoristics: putting the –ie into Aussie by Roland Sussex (Australian Style, December 04)
  • Agreeing to disagree by David Astle (Sunday Life, August 29, 04)
  • Wikipedia
  • other things I can't remember
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 06:50:05 pm by AppleThief »

/0

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +45
Re: Reference: Features of Australian English
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 12:59:08 pm »
Thankyou!!! This is great!

cns1511

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 03:02:41 pm »
Thanks for this, very useful :)

happypuff

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 06:24:54 pm »
  • monophthongs become diphthongs (beer = )

/i/ is a monophthong. It's just a long drawn out vowel =P beeeeeeeeeeeer
A fun one is 'fire', you could argue it's a triphthong. (If you don't have a distinctive Aussie accent and say it you might end up only hearing 2. fi-e-a(r) is how it turns out if I say it (I don't know much IPA anymore, no need to after 14 months :P))
Asides from that, (y)

Also there is my post here geared towards essays: http://vcenotes.com/forum/index.php/topic,5395.msg65827.html#msg65827

AppleThief

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 06:48:17 pm »
  • monophthongs become diphthongs (beer = )

/i/ is a monophthong. It's just a long drawn out vowel =P beeeeeeeeeeeer
O whoops. That was supposed to be my example for diphthongs becoming monophthongs. I accidentally switched around my examples. I shall fix that.

jackinthepatch

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 02:59:30 pm »
Thanks for this mate (Y)
VCE 2008:
Physical Education [50]
VCE 2009:
Business Management [49]
Biology [48]
Further Mathematics [44]
Chemistry [39]
English Language [36]

ENTER: 99.25

sick muzza

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 11:04:47 am »
epic thanks

Gloamglozer

• The Walking VTAC Guide
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Here to listen and help
  • Respect: +324
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 11:07:43 am »
I'm doing this right now.  Thanks, you are a Legend.  :D

Bachelor of Science (Mathematics & Statistics) - Discrete Mathematics & Operations Research

bosley

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 07:40:10 pm »
thank you very MUCH

samdevitt

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0