Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 23, 2024, 09:21:56 pm

Author Topic: Strange Sports?  (Read 2403 times)  Share 

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
Strange Sports?
« on: April 09, 2011, 07:55:03 pm »
Just wondering/interested to know of any weird sports (not stupid daredevil sports, just ones that are like wtf)

To kick things off:

Jianzi
Quote from: Wikipedia
Jianzi is a traditional Asian game in which players aim to keep a heavily weighted shuttlecock in the air using their feet and other parts of the body.

The cock:

A pic from the international championships:

Check this out too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8eODs-fqvY&feature=related. Damn, they have serious training for this from an early age!

As a badminton player, I found that really strange
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 08:03:11 pm by Rohitpi »

MuggedByReality

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +5
Re: Strange Sports?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 08:29:28 pm »

Mmmm, I saw a few of those in 'Nam
"People living deeply have no fear of death"
                                      -Anais Nin

"In the 2nd grade, they asked us what we wanted to be. I said I wanted to be a ballplayer and they laughed. In the 8th grade they asked the same question and I said a ballplayer again and they laughed a little more. By the 11th grade no one was laughing."
  -Johnny Bench, Hall of Fame baseball player

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 09:03:52 am »
Yeah I have one from Vietnam as well, it's actually a hell of a lot of fun. We used one to warm up for futsal once and then had to readjust to using an actual ball

chrisjb

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • ROAR
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 04:25:53 pm »
Just wondering/interested to know of any weird sports (not stupid daredevil sports, just ones that are like wtf)

To kick things off:

Jianzi
Quote from: Wikipedia
Jianzi is a traditional Asian game in which players aim to keep a heavily weighted shuttlecock in the air using their feet and other parts of the body.

The cock:
(Image removed from quote.)

A pic from the international championships:
(Image removed from quote.)

Check this out too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8eODs-fqvY&feature=related. Damn, they have serious training for this from an early age!

As a badminton player, I found that really strange
we used to play that in chinese class in primary school sometimes. Also, that KFC ad where the two guys are playing table tennis in the dark with night vision goggles on looks pretty fun :)

Moderator action: removed real name, sorry for the inconvenience
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 10:33:00 pm by pi »
2011: 96.35
2012: http://www.thegapyear2012.com/
2013: Arts (Global) Monash
2016: Juris Doctor (somewhere)

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 05:44:16 pm »
Also, that KFC ad where the two guys are playing table tennis in the dark with night vision goggles on looks pretty fun :)

I really want to try that!

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 08:29:26 pm »
This isn't a unique sport, but its a really strange combination:

Chess Boxing

Chessboxing is a hybrid sport that combines boxing with chess in alternating rounds.

A match consists of up to eleven alternating rounds of boxing and chess. The match begins with a four-minute chess round. This is followed by two minutes of boxing, with rounds of chess and boxing alternating until the end.[1] There is a one minute break between rounds. Speed chess is used, a form in which each player has a total of only twelve minutes for the whole game.
Competitors may win by a knockout, achieving a checkmate, by the judges' decision, or if their opponent's twelve minutes of chess time is exceeded. If a competitor fails to make a move during the chess round, he is issued a warning and he must move within the next 10 seconds. Repeated warnings may result in a disqualification. The players put on headphones during the chess portion so that they do not hear any shouted assistance from the audience or the live chess commentary. If the chess game reaches a stalemate, the scores from the boxing rounds are used to determine the winner. If the boxing score is also a tie, the player with the black pieces wins.

World-class chess-boxers must not only be experienced boxers, but must also be at least Class A strength as chess players. For example, Nikolai Sazhin has an Elo rating of around 1900, roughly corresponding to high Class A or low expert level, while European chess boxing champion Tihomir Atanassov Dovramadjiev is a FIDE Master with a rating over 2300 and has won multiple chess competitions.

WOW, wtf :o

REBORN

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +74
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 09:11:23 pm »
lmao.
Doctor of Medicine