Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 17, 2024, 03:15:26 pm

Author Topic: Access Melbourne - FTB-A  (Read 7558 times)  Share 

jane1234

Access Melbourne - FTB-A
« on: October 02, 2011, 07:28:31 pm »
Hey guys :D

It says here http://www.futurestudents.unimelb.edu.au/admissions/entry-requirements/other-entry-options/access-melbourne/eligibility-criteria that all you need to be eligible for disadvantaged financial circumstances is for your parent/s to be a recipient of Family Tax Benefit A.

The Melbourne website says that you don't need additional information (ie a statement of support), but that this needs to be processed through the SEAS section of VTAC. The only problem is that VTAC want you to write a statement of impact if you don't get centrelink benefits - which I don't, even if you get the FTB-A.

So... do I just leave that question blank and not send a statement of support? Or will that compromise the whole SEAS application?

Gloamglozer

• The Walking VTAC Guide
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Here to listen and help
  • Respect: +324
Re: Access Melbourne - FTB-A
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 08:31:37 pm »
A statement of support is when a person who knows you well, let's say for example a medical practitioner or a social worker, who writes a statement explaining why your circumstances has educationally disadvantaged you.

An impact statement is what you write down and you personally explain how you have been disadvantaged and it required if you apply for that category.

EDIT:  I should make myself more clearer and say when I say "know well", they also need to be a "responsible person".  VTAC has a list and they define a "responsible person" as one of the following:

• Doctor or health care professional
  • Lawyer
  • Certified accountant
  • Social worker
  • Registered counsellor
  • Religious or community leader
  • School principal or teacher or senior member of school staff
  • Other responsible person who has detailed knowledge of your circumstances and their educational impact.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 09:40:12 pm by Gloamglozer »

Bachelor of Science (Mathematics & Statistics) - Discrete Mathematics & Operations Research

jane1234

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 09:27:45 pm »
A statement of support is when a person who knows you well, let's say for example a medical practitioner or a social worker, who writes a statement explaining why your circumstances has educationally disadvantaged you.

An impact statement is what you write down and you personally explain how you have been disadvantaged and it required if you apply for that category.

Yes, but I haven't been disadvantaged in any way, it's just that my parents receive Family Tax Benefit A. Melbourne Uni states that if you have the FTB, then they don't require the statement of impact or statement of support. I can't write an impact statement or get a statement of support because my financial circumstances haven't really had any impact on my education. I know that's the whole point of that category, but I only want to apply for it because of UniMelb, not any others.

So basically, even though Melbourne doesn't require it, you have to get the statement of support/impact to be eligible for the Access Melbourne stuff because they make you go through VTAC...? So in an indirect way, UniMelb requires you to have the statements but they just don't look at them??

Because UniMelb says:

The University of Melbourne will only take your impact statement and statement of support into account if you are not in receipt of a Centrelink benefit or Family Tax Benefit A.

Gloamglozer

• The Walking VTAC Guide
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 09:33:57 pm »
When you are applying for SEAS, you are effectively applying for special consideration to all the courses and all the institutions that you have listed in your preferences.  So there isn't any way you can single out UoM and say I just want special consideration from you.

And yes, Access Melbourne is just UoM's "special" name for SEAS applicants.  So if you want to put it in this way, you can say that applying for SEAS and putting a UoM course down automatically makes you an Access Melbourne applicant.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 09:37:04 pm by Gloamglozer »

Bachelor of Science (Mathematics & Statistics) - Discrete Mathematics & Operations Research

jane1234

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 09:42:31 pm »
When you are applying for SEAS, you are effectively applying for special consideration to all the courses and all the institutions that you have listed in your preferences.  So there isn't any way you can single out UoM and say I just want special consideration from you.

And yes, Access Melbourne is just UoM's "special" name for SEAS applicants.  So if you want to put it in this way, you can say that applying for SEAS and putting a UoM course down automatically makes you an Access Melbourne applicant.

Ah okay, thanks. Oh well, no Access Melbourne for me then... :(

But... let's say I put N/A in the statement of impact and didn't send a statement of support, would VTAC just cancel that category even if I sent the FTB copy?

Gloamglozer

• The Walking VTAC Guide
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 09:49:21 pm »
VTAC wouldn't cancel it to put it that way.  But it would pretty much render your application useless so in effect, it's almost like "cancelling".  Blank impact statements don't tell VTAC your circumstances and how it has affected your education and as such doesn't accurately convey your disadvantage.

jane1234

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 09:53:26 pm »
VTAC wouldn't cancel it to put it that way.  But it would pretty much render your application useless so in effect, it's almost like "cancelling".  Blank impact statements don't tell VTAC your circumstances and how it has affected your education and as such doesn't accurately convey your disadvantage.

But if they didn't 'cancel' it, wouldn't it still go through to Melbourne Uni who don't care about the statements?
Haha sorry for all these questions but I don't want to miss out if I don't have to...

Nokiacharger

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 10:05:02 pm »
I did this too!

You will obtain the selection guarantee even if you don't put in a statement of support and impact statement. BUT if I was you, I would write an impact statement and obtain a statement of support just in case. But don't worry too much if your statements arent perfect.

I was in your EXACT situation.

hope that helps :)

Jdog

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 11:20:30 am »
if you go to scotch, how do you get a youth allowance? are you on scholarship?

jane1234

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 11:50:26 am »
if you go to scotch, how do you get a youth allowance? are you on scholarship?

I think he means his family gets the Family Tax Benefit A - which many people get. I'm not eligible for YA either, which is why VTAC asked for the statements (they don't ask for statements if you receive YA).

Gloamglozer

• The Walking VTAC Guide
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 12:00:58 pm »
I think he means his family gets the Family Tax Benefit A - which many people get. I'm not eligible for YA either, which is why VTAC asked for the statements (they don't ask for statements if you receive YA).

But if you don't provide a certified copy, make sure you give VTAC permission to electronically access your Youth Allowance.  :)

Jdog

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 01:16:10 pm »

Yes, but I haven't been disadvantaged in any way, it's just that my parents receive Family Tax Benefit A. Melbourne Uni states that if you have the FTB, then they don't require the statement of impact or statement of support. I can't write an impact statement or get a statement of support because my financial circumstances haven't really had any impact on my education. I know that's the whole point of that category, but I only want to apply for it because of UniMelb, not any others.

So basically, even though Melbourne doesn't require it, you have to get the statement of support/impact to be eligible for the Access Melbourne stuff because they make you go through VTAC...? So in an indirect way, UniMelb requires you to have the statements but they just don't look at them??

Because UniMelb says:

The University of Melbourne will only take your impact statement and statement of support into account if you are not in receipt of a Centrelink benefit or Family Tax Benefit A.

if you haven't been diadvantaged, why are you applying ...

jane1234

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 02:32:24 pm »

Because UniMelb says:

Haha because for Access Melbourne you only have to receive FTB to be eligible... I'm only applying because of that.

Nokiacharger

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 05:33:01 pm »
@Jdog

My father is a dentist and my mother a surgeon so that's how I go to Scotch. My financial situation is my my business, not yours, but basically I bet the system :)

@Jane

If you are eligible, apply, don't listen to what anyone has to say, the university has deemed you eligible and claim your benefits :)

Nokiacharger

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 05:35:24 pm »

Because UniMelb says:

To take your place at uni.