Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 08:32:25 am

Author Topic: The Good Books Thread/ATARnotes Book Club!  (Read 173931 times)

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
Re: The Good Books Thread/ATARnotes Book Club!
« Reply #90 on: January 09, 2012, 01:51:33 pm »
NO

I think admins should reset your Respect after that comment.

There's a general hatred from guys regarding Twilight =.="

Moderator action: removed real name, sorry for the inconvenience
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 09:11:48 pm by pi »

Reckoner

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +60
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #91 on: January 09, 2012, 01:52:34 pm »

Not a single book of 'Deltora Quest' and 'Harry Potter' wasn't mentioned in this thread.

I read all of them, there pretty good.

The harry potter books are a lot more detailed than the movies.

Wow I LOVED Deltora Quest ;D I must have read each of the 3 series about 10 times.

HP, not so much. 

monkeywantsabanana

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • An eye for an eye will make us all blind.
  • Respect: +55
« Reply #92 on: January 09, 2012, 02:25:13 pm »
+1
I just read Inheritance by Christopher Paolini, it's a really good book!

No, sorry, you're wrong. Normally I let opinions be opinions, but not with that man's writing. Ugh.

+1... I don't understand all the hype for The Inheritance Cycle... oh well, that's just me.

- The Messenger (Markus Zusak)
- 13 Reasons Why (Jay Asher)

Currently reading "The Reader"- Bernhard Schlink

Bachelor of Commerce (Economics & Finance)

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #93 on: January 09, 2012, 02:30:24 pm »
+3
There's a general hatred from guys anyone with a modicum of intelligence regarding Twilight =.="

ftfy
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

Thu Thu Train

• Voted AN's sexiest member 2012
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • <3
  • Respect: +336
« Reply #94 on: January 09, 2012, 02:43:47 pm »
+3
NO

There is a general hatred towards people who can't write for shit.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 09:11:39 pm by pi »
        (
     '( '
    "'  //}
   ( ''"
   _||__ ____ ____ ____
  (o)___)}___}}___}}___}   
  'U'0 0  0 0  0 0  0 0    0 0
BBSN14

i actually almost wish i was a monash student.

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #95 on: January 09, 2012, 03:00:46 pm »
+1
I also liked "The Catcher in the Rye" (I'm not a mass murderer btw). I think its one of those books that either you really hate or really like, not sure why though  ???

Panicmode

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +46
  • School: De La Salle College Malvern
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #96 on: January 09, 2012, 03:03:25 pm »
+1
NO

I read it, didn't think it was that bad. The story was good, it was just the whole, "MY LIFE IS SOOOO HARD EMO EMO EMO EMO EDWAAAAARRRRD" that put me off. That and the horrible use of grammar and syntax throughout the whole piece.

On the other hand, her other book, "The Host" I did actually really enjoy... like surprisingly so.

Here is a list of all the books I've managed to read in the past month of post VCE freedom =D. Some of them are obvious re-reads (see Harry Potter)

"The Mortal Instruments" series (Cassandra Clare) [City of Bones, City of Ashes, City of Glass, City of Fallen Angels]

Enjoyed this series and quickly devoured it. Would definitely recommend it. WARNING: Cliff hanger of most recent book is QQ
it's like she enjoys torturing us.

Harry Potter series (J. K. Rowling) [Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows]

My childhood in a nutshell. Every year I re-read the series and every year I realise how much I love the books and the nostalgia they bring.

Gone series (Michael Grant) [Gone, Hunger, Lies, Plague]

OMG AMAZING. Gripping read seriously. Couldn't put down. I went to Dymocks and bought the first in the series, read it and then first thing next day came back and bought the rest. It's like several levels of awesome-ness rolled into one big ball.

The Power of Five series (Anthony Horowitz) [Raven's Gate, Evil Star, Nightrise, Necropolis]

Another re-read, but still amazing. WHEN IS HE GOING TO BRING OUT THE LAST IN THE SERIES!!!?!?!? ARGHHHH

Alex Rider series (Anthony Horowitz) [Stormbreaker, Point Blanc, Skeleton Key, Eagle Strike, Scorpia, Ark Angel, Snakehead, Crocodile Tears]

Another re-read. Found that this time it appealed to me less... Still pretty awesome though I must admit.

A Series of Unfortunate Events (Lemony Snicket) [The Bad Beginning, The Reptile Room, The Wide Window, The Miserable Mill, The Austere Academy, The Ersatz Elevator, The Vile Village, The Hostile Hospital, The Slippery Slope, The Grim Grotto, The Penultimate Peril, The End]

The second half of my childhood. I re-read this just as frequently as I do Harry Potter and it never forgets to stir up the same childish whimsy I remember as a 9 year-old.

Uglies series (Scott Westerfeld) [Uglies, Pretties, Specials, Extras]

Excellent read. Can not recommend this more highly. I finished the entire series within 3 days. It was basically un-putdownable. Finishing it came before sleep; that's how good it was.

Inside Out (Maria V. Synder)

I loved this book. Reading over what I've already written, I've said that about a few books, but seriously... if you only read one of the books I recommend, it has to be this.

Outside In (Maria V. Synder)

The sequel to Inside Out definitely worth a read particularly if you liked the first one.

Children of the Red King series (Jenny Nimmo) [Midnight for Charlie Bone, Charlie Bone and the Time Twister, Charlie Bone  and the Blue Boa, Charlie Bone and the Castle of Mirrors, Charlie Bone and the Hidden King, Charlie Bone and the Wilderness Wolf, Charlie Bone and the Shadows of Badlock, Charlie Bone and the Red Knight]

Re-read to relive childhood. I found the writing this time around to be quite childish. I mean, the story is excellent, but the way the book is written isn't for my age group anymore. :c Ahh well, it's still a good read but probably wouldn't recommend it for anyone above 15.

Starcrossed (Josephine Angelini)

This book surprised me and I must say I loved it. It was gripping, and fast paced and incredibly captivating. Near the end I was like NOOOOOO!!! but still really good. Can't wait for the sequel.

The Rosie Black Chronicles series (Lara Morgan) [Genesis, Equinox]

Set in futuristic Australia by an Australian author! Seriously good read and I was hooked from the first few paragraphs. I'll definitely be downloading the next version to my com or otherwise buy the plaspaper version :) Second book made me wish she did something different but ahh well. I was slightly crestfallen.

Divergent (Diane Roth)

Weird ending but still a very captivating read. Would once again recommend.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (Mark Haddon)

I cried. I couldn't help it. It was just so sad. Excellently woven piece of literature which I'm sure will someday become a classic the likes of which are studied in English and Literature. It really is a great though provoking piece and would recommend to anyone and everyone.

The House of the Scorpion (Nancy Farmer)

A thought provoking piece which evokes many moral questions soon to come up in our future. I loved it I must say and it deserves all the awards it has received.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 09:11:25 pm by pi »
2012 Biomedicine @ UoM

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #97 on: January 09, 2012, 03:06:58 pm »
The Power of Five series (Anthony Horowitz) [Raven's Gate, Evil Star, Nightrise, Necropolis]

Another re-read, but still amazing. WHEN IS HE GOING TO BRING OUT THE LAST IN THE SERIES!!!?!?!? ARGHHHH

LOL, I completely forgot about this series! Got to re-read this now!

Another couple of  fiction series I like (whilst we're on the topic) are the Septimus Heap series and the Percy Jackson books :)
edit: and of course LOTR  ;D
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 03:09:06 pm by Rohitpi »

Panicmode

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #98 on: January 09, 2012, 03:09:39 pm »

Another couple of  fiction series I like (whilst we're on the topic) are the Septimus Heap series and the Percy Jackson books :)

Septimus Heap? Is that the Magyk, Flyte, Physik? I enjoyed them but I haven't read past Physik. Does it get really good or is it much the same? (not that it wasn't good in the beginning, just wondering if it gets OMG later in the series or not)

« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 09:11:07 pm by pi »
2012 Biomedicine @ UoM

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #99 on: January 09, 2012, 03:11:04 pm »

Septimus Heap? Is that the Magyk, Flyte, Physik? I enjoyed them but I haven't read past Physik. Does it get really good or is it much the same? (not that it wasn't good in the beginning, just wondering if it gets OMG later in the series or not)

Yeah that's the one. It stays at around the same tempo for the whole series, if that helps ;)

« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 09:10:55 pm by pi »

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #100 on: January 09, 2012, 03:47:02 pm »
No, sorry, you're wrong. Normally I let opinions be opinions, but not with that man's writing. Ugh.
What's wrong with his writing? :P

In a word, everything. Seriously, what do you like about it?

As for twilight, I read them all. They're pretty average in all respects, but they're not the satanic evil that most people make them out to be. Just do yourself a favour, skip books 2 and 3 (skipping book 1 is also plausible).

monkeywantsabanana

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • An eye for an eye will make us all blind.
  • Respect: +55
« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2012, 04:28:49 pm »
Why does everyone hate the Twilight series? I haven't read it but is it because it's the book equivalent to Justin Bieber in the respect that people (guys) just hate it because girls go crazy over it? 

Bachelor of Commerce (Economics & Finance)

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
« Reply #102 on: January 09, 2012, 04:32:25 pm »
Russ, in regards to Paolini's Inheritance Cycle, I like the storyline, I do tend to skim a little because he is overly descriptive of scenery at times, which helps me get through his books faster, but I think it's quite amazing, like the world he's created and the made up languages and I guess I like a little bit of action here and there, I understand that it's not literature, like it's not something that will stand the test of time, but as a passing fantasy series I think it's pretty good :)

Oh alright then, I guess I'll see what Twilight is like :)

Anyways, are there any love stories anyone can recommend, I've been reading too much fantasy and biographies lately, I want something to cry over! LOL! :D

Panicmode

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #103 on: January 09, 2012, 04:34:09 pm »
+3
Why does everyone hate the Twilight series? I haven't read it but is it because it's the book equivalent to Justin Bieber in the respect that people (guys) just hate it because girls go crazy over it?

It's worth reading if not only so you understand what all the fuss is about. I don't hate it... I just think it's poorly written is all. The story line isn't all that bad, you just need to read past the complete and utter disregard for the standard grammatical and syntactical conventions of English.

EDIT:

Quote from: paulsterio
Anyways, are there any love stories anyone can recommend, I've been reading too much fantasy and biographies lately, I want something to cry over! LOL! :D

You wanna cry? Read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon. Not a love story but will certainly induce tears (well, it did for me)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 04:36:40 pm by Panicmode »
2012 Biomedicine @ UoM

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
« Reply #104 on: January 09, 2012, 04:38:48 pm »
I've read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, that was probably like 3 years ago now, that I've read it, I found it touching, I didn't cry, but I did become more understanding of Asperger's Syndrome and more generally the Autism Spectrum Disorder. Was really well written!