Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 23, 2024, 01:31:46 pm

Author Topic: ATARNotes Book Cover Design Competition  (Read 31476 times)  Share 

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +529
ATARNotes Book Cover Design Competition
« on: January 25, 2012, 01:00:20 pm »
+1
Hey forumites. Exciting times! We're very close to launching the first of our range of VCE study guides.

We're keen to get some interactive participation from you guys, so we're holding a competition to design the best cover for the competition.

Important files required:
Here is a .zip of all the ATARNotes graphics that you can use in designing your cover. Go nuts.
http://www.mediafire.com/?cm0qqysvowkqc8a

The criteria are as follows:

Entry and miscellaneous

1) Design your covers (specifications given below)
2) Submit your design to [email protected] with your name and forum username as a single image (front cover, back cover and spine). You are to submit 4 files:
- One file for each of the front cover, spine and back cover in the original, editable file format used in your graphics program of choice.
- One .jpg image of the entire design (front, back and spine). This will be used for the voting competition.
3) Entries close on February 8th, 2012.
4) Facebook voting and AN forum voting begin on February 9th, and end on February 16th, with the winner announced at midnight February 16th
5) We reserve the right to cancel this competition if less than 3 entries which meet the general and technical criteria below are submitted. In this case, we will take individual submissions and award the prizes based on our own judgment.

Design Criteria

General Criteria:
1) Must be a universal design, applicable to all books
2) A simple, yet eye-catching design is what you're aiming for.
3) Must be in an easily editable format (so from book to book, we can change things like book name, authors etc.)
4) All work must be your own (except for using the graphics which I have provided above). If you are found to have infringed the copyright of others, you will be immediately disqualified.

Technical Criteria:
1) We will require you to supply your design in the editable file format from the graphics program which you used to create it
2) You are required to design a front cover which will include:
- ATARNotes logo
- The book series title "ATARNotes Exam Preparation Guides"
- The individual book name, e.g. Chemistry/English/Physics (just pick a random one to fill in for your design)
- author names
- space for a description of the book (should be roughly 1/5 of the physical space of the front cover)
3) You are required to design a back cover which will include:
- A small box of white space for a barcode and ISBN number printed just above it.
- a generic space for yet-to-be-determined text in a reasonable font. This space should span roughly half of the cover
4) An adjustable-width spine which will contain the AN logo, book title and author names
5) Design must be scaleable to fit both A4 and A5 sized books.

How to win

There will be two voting methods.

Facebook voting:
We want these covers to be seen by as many people as possible, and want news of the book series spread as far and wide as possible. So, we'll be uploading all the valid designs we receive at [email protected], uploading them to our facebook page, and we'll be counting all of the "facebook shares" of each cover design. We'll then award points out of 100 based on the percentage of total facebook shares. So let's say cover #1 has 20 shares, cover #2 has 30 shares and cover #3 has 50 shares. Then, #1 gets 20 points, cover #2 gets 30 points, and cover #3 gets 50 points.

AN forum voting:
We'll also be having a poll of forum members at the close of the facebook voting with the same principles. Points are awarded based on which percentage you get of the votes (out of 100).

What are the prizes?

Winner:
The prize is $300 + 5 books of your choice, and your name will be on the inside of every single AN book as the cover designer!

Runners up:
We'll also send out 5 free copies of our books to every runner up who accumulates at least 10 voting points (facebook voting + AN forum voting combined).

IMPORTANT NOTE: The AN administration reserves the right to choose the first runner up as the winner if it deems the voting pattern for the winner suspicious

« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 07:33:56 pm by enwiabe »

DisaFear

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bravery is not a function of firepower
  • Respect: +154
Re: ATARNotes Book Cover Design Competition
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 01:05:25 pm »
Can a person only enter once? Or submit multiple designs?

(AN chocolate) <tisaraiscool> Does it taste like b^3's brain?
BSc (Hons) @ Monash (Double major in Chemistry)

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 01:08:48 pm »
Can a person only enter once? Or submit multiple designs?

You may submit multiple designs, sure.

Camo

• Sir President Father Professor Sergeant Admiral Grandmaster Camo OAM
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • I love you like the little taco's.
  • Respect: +62
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 02:55:06 pm »
Is this books as in any book (say we could get free uni books) or free books as in the books that are currently being made?
‎"We divert our attention from disease and death as much as we can; and the slaughter-houses and indecencies without end on which our life is founded are huddled out of sight and never mentioned, so that the world we recognize officially in literature and in society is a poetic fiction far handsomer and cleaner and better than the world that really is."
- William James.

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 03:06:14 pm »
+1
Is this books as in any book (say we could get free uni books) or free books as in the books that are currently being made?

Nah, these are copies of our own books (as in, the study guides). If you've finished VCE, you can always give them as gifts to lucky students! You'll be like VCE Santa

chocolatedaddy

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 03:14:00 pm »
When will these be released?

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 03:20:37 pm »
When will these be released?

Beginning of March, and possibly sooner. No later than mid-March. We'll be releasing them as we get them. Some will be released a bit later, depending on when writers have them finished.

jane1234

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 04:51:18 pm »
+2
Just a thought: If voting happens as each entry is uploaded, then this will give earlier entries a higher chance of winning. What if a really, really good design comes along say at 10pm February the 7th? Wouldn't it be better to have some sort of a deadline for entries to be sent to you, and then you upload them and open the poll at a set time to give each cover a fair chance?
I know common sense tells people to upload their entries as early as possible, but some might be on holidays or whatever and still want to enter.

nacho

• The Thought Police
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +418
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 05:02:24 pm »
Access to the ATARnotes logo?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 05:04:36 pm by nacho »
OFFICIAL FORUM RULE #1:
TrueTears is my role model so find your own

2012: BCom/BSc @ Monash
[Majors: Finance, Actuarial Studies, Mathematical Statistics]
[Minors: Psychology/ Statistics]

"Baby, it's only micro when it's soft".
-Bill Gates

Upvote me

DisaFear

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 05:03:56 pm »
+2
5 books, that are published by atarnotes, or any 5 books in the world ?

Nah, these are copies of our own books (as in, the study guides). If you've finished VCE, you can always give them as gifts to lucky students! You'll be like VCE Santa

Just a thought: If voting happens as each entry is uploaded, then this will give earlier entries a higher chance of winning. What if a really, really good design comes along say at 10pm February the 7th? Wouldn't it be better to have some sort of a deadline for entries to be sent to you, and then you upload them and open the poll at a set time to give each cover a fair chance?
I know common sense tells people to upload their entries as early as possible, but some might be on holidays or whatever and still want to enter.

This is very true. Also, people with lots of friends can ask them to like the AN page and then share their designs only
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 05:06:54 pm by DisaFear »

jane1234

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 05:09:35 pm »
+1

It's on the home page but I'll attach it here. It's on a transparent background which is good. :)

EDIT: Wait, do we also need the ATARNotes title logo?

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 05:20:06 pm »

This makes a lot of sense, and I will certainly adjust the competition accordingly. Thank you for alerting me to this pitfall.

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 05:39:22 pm »
I've put a mediafire link to all of the ATARNotes graphics that you can use for the cover.

I have also amended the submission and voting process.

jane1234

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 05:52:49 pm »
+4
Two more things:

1. I don't know if you were planning to, but I'd keep voting anonymous on both FB and AN. That is, don't have "Cover X by Joe Smith". Otherwise, Joe's friends might all come and vote for his even if his design is a piece of crap. You might already have thought of this though.

2. You might want some sort of copyright disclaimer as well - otherwise people might stick a random image from Google Images on their design. I'd just say that any photography must either be the work of the designer or at least be included with permission from the original photographer.

DisaFear

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 05:58:44 pm »
+2
1. I don't know if you were planning to, but I'd keep voting anonymous on both FB and AN. That is, don't have "Cover X by Joe Smith". Otherwise, Joe's friends might all come and vote for his even if his design is a piece of crap. You might already have thought of this though.

Though, you can still tell your friends which design is yours