Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 06, 2024, 11:51:20 am

Author Topic: Reasons for wanting to be a high achiever  (Read 16839 times)  Share 

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +275
Re: Reasons for wanting to be a high achiever
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2012, 10:15:24 pm »
I stuffed up my chances of ripping out a monster ATAR due to a multitude of reasons. Messed around in year 10 too much, picked two stupid 3/4s to study in year 11 and didn't study very hard for them and am not good enough at my remaining four subjects to still get a monster ATAR. I really regret these things as I hate being beaten and am very much a perfectionist although there is definitely nothing close to perfect about me or my academic abilities.

I have decided however, that no matter what I study in university, I will do everything I can to never get anything below a HD/H1.

I know it's easy to say and very difficult to follow through with but I will give it everything I have and more.

You sound just like me back in the days.
2012-2014. BSc: Neuroscience. University of Melbourne.
2015-2018. Doctor of Optometry. University of Melbourne.

Unlikely to respond to any PMs these days.

Surgeon

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Determined to score a 50 in English.
  • Respect: +2
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2012, 10:16:30 pm »
I stuffed up my chances of ripping out a monster ATAR due to a multitude of reasons. Messed around in year 10 too much, picked two stupid 3/4s to study in year 11 and didn't study very hard for them and am not good enough at my remaining four subjects to still get a monster ATAR. I really regret these things as I hate being beaten and am very much a perfectionist although there is definitely nothing close to perfect about me or my academic abilities.

I have decided however, that no matter what I study in university, I will do everything I can to never get anything below a HD/H1.

I know it's easy to say and very difficult to follow through with but I will give it everything I have and more.

Do I take that as a compliment?
Aspiring doctor. Why? For the same four reasons as everybody else. Chicks, money, power and chicks.

BoredSatan

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • <3
  • Respect: +72
  • School: GWSC
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2012, 10:20:48 pm »
My parents were forcing me in a kind of weird way.. They kept saying that I was gonna fail cause I was gaming too much, or wasting my time on the computer too much etc.

SO one day I got really mad and decided to prove them wrong big time..

Now they can't say anything cause every time they try and say I'm spending too much time on the computer or whatever I just remind them of my ATAR :P

Asian parent: "OK you did well, now you have to continue that momentum" :P
SO TRUE =.="

They weren't too happy about that 'C' I got for Semester 1 :P

But don't worry.. I sense an massive improvement this semester hopefully..

And yeah Latrobe still use an ABCD grading system :D
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 10:24:19 pm by BoredSaint »
Master of Dentistry, Latrobe University 2011 ATAR: 99.75
ATARnotes Accounting Unit 3&4 Study Guide Author

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2012, 10:25:48 pm »

Relate to this so much. It's pretty unlikely that I'll even break past 90, and I know I'll have to do well in Uni... Like a Vegeta thing.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2012, 10:31:20 pm »

Do I take that as a compliment?

Lol just an observation. I just had the same motivation to do well in uni, you can definitely turn around your scores.

JinXi

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +90
  • School: Camberwell High School
  • School Grad Year: 2010
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2012, 10:36:12 pm »
+4
My parents were forcing me in a kind of weird way.. They kept saying that I was gonna fail cause I was gaming too much, or wasting my time on the computer too much etc.

SO one day I got really mad and decided to prove them wrong big time..

Now they can't say anything cause every time they try and say I'm spending too much time on the computer or whatever I just remind them of my ATAR :P

After 18 years of that, I finally managed to convince my parents that gaming is beneficial to my programming skills after getting a 98 for a programming unit in uni. After that they seem happy/contented to see me on the computer.

P.S. My parents aren't very good with technology so they actually thinks dota helps with programming.....
Monash B.Aero Eng/Sci Discontinued in Sem2 2012 [2011-2015]

"I will always choose a lazy person to do a difficult job… because, he will find an easy way to do it." ~ Bill Gates
^ SNORLAX, I chooosee You!!!

IndefatigableLover

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • What kind of shoes do ninjas wear? Sneakers.
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2012, 10:50:01 pm »
+3
Is it because of your parents forcing you?
No. They have shown me that education will get you nowhere in our world as they sacrificed everything to be safe (War) and have shown me that what you do dictates your life and if I work hard now, life may be easier for myself and my parents.
Is it to pursue a certain career?
Yes... I don't want to miss out on a career choice because of my work ethic so I just try my hardest each time :P
Do you just want to do as well as you can?
Definitely, always giving it my 100%
To get rich?
Never. Having grown up in a family where money used to be scarce.. I don't need money to be happy. I have friends that I can rely on and they can rely on me. As well as that, I have always wanted to give things back to the community whether volunteering or do work. My parents might object to the volunteering part but they donate instead. As a result, I just want to do something I enjoy but something that my parents will be proud of. Luckily what I want and they want is nearly the same (Pharmacist vs. Neurosurgeon)
To gain respect?
It plays a part but not a lot. So long as I am treated kindly and I can perform at my best then I have no problem.

abeybaby

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +182
  • School: Scotch College
  • School Grad Year: 2010
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2012, 10:53:49 pm »
+5
i just grew up that way... my dad had an ingenious way of bringing me up so that I really WANTED to know more, and to differentiate between knowledge and intelligence. because of him, i grew up with the notion that the first 18 years of my life would be devoted to academic success, and i never felt pressured or unhappy about study

Smarter VCE Lectures and Resources

2014-2017: Doctor of Medicine, University of Sydney.
2011-2013: Bachelor of Biomedicine, University of Melbourne. 2010 ATAR: 99.85

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2012, 11:20:30 pm »
+4
Is it because of your parents forcing you?
No. They have shown me that education will get you nowhere in our world as they sacrificed everything to be safe (War) and have shown me that what you do dictates your life and if I work hard now, life may be easier for myself and my parents.
Yes... I don't want to miss out on a career choice because of my work ethic so I just try my hardest each time :P
Do you just want to do as well as you can?
Definitely, always giving it my 100%
To get rich?
Never. Having grown up in a family where money used to be scarce.. I don't need money to be happy. I have friends that I can rely on and they can rely on me. As well as that, I have always wanted to give things back to the community whether volunteering or do work. My parents might object to the volunteering part but they donate instead. As a result, I just want to do something I enjoy but something that my parents will be proud of. Luckily what I want and they want is nearly the same (Pharmacist vs. Neurosurgeon)
To gain respect?
It plays a part but not a lot. So long as I am treated kindly and I can perform at my best then I have no problem.

A year 9 with an old soul. Wise words.

IndefatigableLover

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • What kind of shoes do ninjas wear? Sneakers.
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2012, 11:32:25 pm »
A year 9 with an old soul. Wise words.
Well my grandchildren do say that I'm 500 years old yet there's no white beard to show them ;)
But in all seriousness.. is that a good thing?

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2012, 11:34:48 pm »
+3
Yep it's a good thing. She's saying you're more wise (wiser?) than would be expected.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

Furbob

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • diagnosed with poo brain
  • Respect: +184
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2012, 04:12:08 pm »
+3

No, the career that I really want to get into isn't difficult to get into ATAR-wise.

what.

and you will attend every lecture and buy every supplementary textbook for your subjects  :-X

Anyway, the reason for wanting to be a high achiever for me is a combination of self-pride/worth, status amongst my peers (not being the "bottom" one or the one trailing behind) and I wanted my parents to feel proud of me . The only pressure from them was their expectations but my mum never explicity said "get x ATAR for me to be duh doctuh" or anything like that.

When I enjoy something I want to be good at.

I want to be good at it not only for marks but to express my love for studying or practicing it
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 04:27:02 pm by Furbob »
2011 : English | Accounting | MM CAS | Further | Japanese | MUEP Japanese
2012 : BA(Japanese&Chinese)/BComm @ Monash Clayton

Surgeon

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Determined to score a 50 in English.
  • Respect: +2
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2012, 04:40:27 pm »

No, the career that I really want to get into isn't difficult to get into ATAR-wise.

what.

and you will attend every lecture and buy every supplementary textbook for your subjects  :-X

Anyway, the reason for wanting to be a high achiever for me is a combination of self-pride/worth, status amongst my peers (not being the "bottom" one or the one trailing behind) and I wanted my parents to feel proud of me . The only pressure from them was their expectations but my mum never explicity said "get x ATAR for me to be duh doctuh" or anything like that.

When I enjoy something I want to be good at.

I want to be good at it not only for marks but to express my love for studying or practicing it

I plan on doing just that..  What does the smiley stand for?
Aspiring doctor. Why? For the same four reasons as everybody else. Chicks, money, power and chicks.

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2012, 04:48:18 pm »
+1
Buying supplementary textbooks is a terrible idea (heck buying prescribed textbooks is usually a terrible idea) and everybody skips lectures all the time

MJRomeo81

• Part of the furniture
  • Princeps
  • Respect: +167
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2012, 04:52:01 pm »
+5
Currently working in the IT Industry as an Oracle DBA (State Government)

Murphy was an optimist

Bachelor of Information Technology @ La Trobe (Melbourne) - Completed 2014
WAM: 91.96
The key, the whole key, and nothing but the key, so help me Codd.

Subjects I tutored during my time at LTU:
CSE2DBF (Database Fundamentals)
CSE1IS (Information Systems)
CSE2DES (System Design Engineering)

“If I had an hour to solve a problem I'd spend 55 minutes defining the problem and 5 minutes thinking about solutions.”
― Albert Einstein