Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 17, 2024, 05:25:43 pm

Author Topic: Accounting vs Psychologist  (Read 2263 times)  Share 

kiwikim

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Marian College
Accounting vs Psychologist
« on: September 17, 2012, 07:26:19 pm »
HEY EVERYONE!  :) 
im having a hard time to choose between accounting at rmit or bachelor of arts at melbourne uni then major in psychology, my vtac has to be due by this friday and i have being thinking about this for weeks already but didnt know who to ask. I want to do accounting but then im scared i might not enjoy it as i didnt choose accoutning in VCE and apparently its boring? and on the other  hand, although psych is interesting sometimes i find it hard to actually grasp the concept and the job opportunities arent that high and to get a decent job you need to study for a long time... so if anyone can give me their opinions on this then it would be really appreciated, thankyou  :D

nisha

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Hum Honge Kamyab.
  • Respect: +117
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: Accounting vs Psychologist
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 07:29:13 pm »
Do what you enjoy. If others say its boring, but you like it, go for it.
Think: Will you be content spending many years at university?

Melbourne University-Science-Second year

Am taking in students for CHEMISTRY and MATHS METHODS tuition for 2014 as well as first year chemistry. If interested, pm me. Flexible with location.

"Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught [/i]

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 07:31:30 pm »

Good advice, but I'd also like to add

Think: Will you be happy doing this job for the rest of your life?
Think: Is this a job which satisfies you (i.e. re. interests...etc.)

kiwikim

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 07:45:21 pm »
Do what you enjoy. If others say its boring, but you like it, go for it.
both of your opinions are very true, but unfortunately im a very indecisive person :( i really cant choose even though i weighed out the pros and cons for each of them and in the end it just made me even more confused..

Truck

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +122
  • School: who needs school when you got SWAG?
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 07:50:51 pm »
+1
How about you do a double degree in Commerce/Arts, and that way you can major in accounting + do what you want to do in Psychology?
#yolo #thuglife #swaggotandproud

Inspirations: Mahtama Ghandi, T-Pain, The Caped Crusader and Ayn Rand.

kiwikim

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 07:54:14 pm »
How about you do a double degree in Commerce/Arts, and that way you can major in accounting + do what you want to do in Psychology?

i dont really want to do a double degree and with arts and commerce, the course is too broad and that means we have to do further studies and i really dont want to send a long time at uni unless if its necessary :)

Truck

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +122
  • School: who needs school when you got SWAG?
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 07:56:37 pm »

i dont really want to do a double degree and with arts and commerce, the course is too broad and that means we have to do further studies and i really dont want to send a long time at uni unless if its necessary :)

Well when you say the course is too broad, the individual Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Commerce is the same as what you'd be doing otherwise, do you just mean that doing both together is too broad? Because yeah, that's understandable I guess... HOWEVER...

Doing a commerce/arts double is only an extra year, so I don't think you'd be spending that much more time in uni (4 years vs 3, at least at monash). Also why do you assume you'd have to do further studies? You come out with the same qualifications as someone who did a single commerce or arts degree.
#yolo #thuglife #swaggotandproud

Inspirations: Mahtama Ghandi, T-Pain, The Caped Crusader and Ayn Rand.

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 07:56:50 pm »

...Wouldn't the idea of majoring in Psych be to do further studies..?
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

aaackk

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 08:08:05 pm »
a major is not the same as a masters

kiwikim

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 08:19:43 pm »
a major is not the same as a masters
yeah i know that :) but to become a psychologist from a bach. of arts you need to major in psych first then get into honors then masters or phd, and even though its a long way it could be worth it but my concern is the jop opportunities and the competitiveness of the course :p

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 08:27:12 pm »
yeah i know that :) but to become a psychologist from a bach. of arts you need to major in psych first then get into honors then masters or phd, and even though its a long way it could be worth it but my concern is the jop opportunities and the competitiveness of the course :p
So what's wrong with a double, again? :s
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

kiwikim

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 08:44:30 pm »
So what's wrong with a double, again? :s
i just want to focus on one area :)

Genericname2365

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 09:16:16 pm »

Good advice, but I'd also like to add

Think: Will you be happy doing this job for the rest of your life?
Well statistically it is unlikely most people will do this anyway, but I get what you're saying.
ATAR: 93.35
Bachelor of Arts at UoM

Tomw2

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +29
  • School: Melbourne High School
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 09:55:19 pm »
+2

This is a poor rationale and demonstrates that you haven't thought through the scenarios - which is fair enough as it is difficult to have perspective on tertiary pathways if you haven't been in the system or industry before.

The cost-risk-benefit of adding an extra year on to your undergrad in the context of uncertainty is very favourable. It enhances your qualification and gives you maximum flexibility and experience to choose. Such a double degree would allow you to try both disciplines in first year and change both of them, drop one degree, take up another etc, with no loss of time.

The cost-risk-benefit of picking one now with little idea of the disciplines and industries is much less favourable.

Alternatively, you could pick BComm and enrol in the 2 x 1st year psychology units and see how you like them. If you really like it, then transfer to BA/BComm after first year and have the units studied previously credited to the new degree. This would require some careful subject planning to ensure you dont have to add another semester do to course requirements and prerequisites, but it's done all the time.

Still, seems much easier to me to just enrol in the double degree.

2012-2015 | Doctor of Dental Surgery, University of Melbourne
2012-2015 | Master of Public Health, University of Sydney (part-time)
2012-2012 | Grad Dip Careers Education & Development, RMIT University
2005-2011 | Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Science (Hons), Monash University

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 09:59:26 pm »
+1
Well statistically it is unlikely most people will do this anyway, but I get what you're saying.

Yes of course, most people change careers throughout their lives, but you would want a career which you are interested in doing for at least a while, like you'd at least want a career that can last you until you're financially stable enough to change.

So I guess, what I was more trying to say is that "Will you be happy doing this job for a long time?" rather than "the rest of your life" - because you wouldn't want to be changing careers a couple of years out of uni...etc.

The cost-risk-benefit of adding an extra year on to your undergrad in the context of uncertainty is very favourable.

I agree whole-heartedly with this, it's not like it's a massive time difference, it's a year well worth investing and like, you know, if you so desperately want to get out of uni that fast that you can't spend an extra year in it, then maybe a major like accounting would be good for you - not much further study required.