Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 11, 2024, 02:20:30 am

Author Topic: IT App's Question Thread  (Read 17349 times)  Share 

Lasercookie

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +326
Re: IT App's Question Thread
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2012, 08:02:17 pm »
+1
What's the difference between a format and a convention?  I've always assumed they're the same thing and grouped together but my teacher told us that told they're two entirely different things.

Thanks for doing this guise :D
A format is how you present data. For example a table, a graph (and what type of graph) etc.

A convention is the norm, how things are normally done. To an extent it's a bit subjective and you can use common sense to get your way through it. You could look at the AN webpages and point out all the website conventions being used, stuff you'd normally expect - buttons underneath, a textarea to write your post in, usernames on the forums etc. There's some conventions that might be dictated by law, e.g. you need to have a privacy policy if you fall under the Privacy Act 1988.

You've probably at some point used some piece of software that doesn't follow the normal conventions, and the slight frustration associated with that. You don't want to subject users to that kind of frustration.

You could consider a format to have a set of conventions that are associated with it. For a graph you'd expect a labelled x and y axis, a title etc.

MJRomeo81

• Part of the furniture
  • Princeps
  • Respect: +167
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 09:36:03 pm »
+1
Here are some quick refresher questions for you guys. Yes they aren't VCAA style questions but I can't stress how important the IT fundamentals are.

Difference between a star and bus network topology?

Dissect the following url and explain how it is formed: http://www.ihopeyouguysallscore40plus.com/screwyouvcaa.html  (hint. what file is being accessed on which domain and protocols...etc.)

How to protect the rights of the individuals supplying data?

What management level makes tactical decisions?

What are the five types of reports?

What is cloud computing?

Explain the purpose and functions of a VPN.
Currently working in the IT Industry as an Oracle DBA (State Government)

Murphy was an optimist

Bachelor of Information Technology @ La Trobe (Melbourne) - Completed 2014
WAM: 91.96
The key, the whole key, and nothing but the key, so help me Codd.

Subjects I tutored during my time at LTU:
CSE2DBF (Database Fundamentals)
CSE1IS (Information Systems)
CSE2DES (System Design Engineering)

“If I had an hour to solve a problem I'd spend 55 minutes defining the problem and 5 minutes thinking about solutions.”
― Albert Einstein

Genericname2365

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +11
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2012, 11:52:41 pm »
How close are VITTA's exams (2012) to VCAA's in terms of difficulty?
I just did one and got 12/20 on the multi-choice, and also I haven't marked the short-answer yet but I found some of the extended RDBMS-type questions to be really difficult.  :-\ Admittedly I did get an answer of some type for almost every question, but if this is how hard VCAA's might be then I'm not feeling confident at all.
ATAR: 93.35
Bachelor of Arts at UoM

Lasercookie

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2012, 11:58:03 pm »
+2
I don't know about the 2012 ones, but VITTA exams are out to challenge you. Arguably, at times, maybe even off the study design. Some questions are probably 'unfair' too. They're also have their fair share of errors with the answers. Overall, you can still learn a lot from them though.

VCAA don't really pull questions like VITTA do. You still have to realise that once you understand what a question is about, the biggest hurdle is actually answering the questions properly to get all the marks - so you can use the VITTA exams to your advantage there.

edit: That's not to imply that VITTA exams are too hard or too irrelevant to the extent that it's not worth doing, for the most part the questions are okay, you should still have a fairly good idea with the questions they ask
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 12:03:36 am by laseredd »

Genericname2365

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2012, 12:05:11 am »
I don't know about the 2012 ones, but VITTA exams are out to challenge you. Arguably, at times, maybe even off the study design. Some questions are probably 'unfair' too. They're also have their fair share of errors with the answers. Overall, you can still learn a lot from them though.

VCAA don't really pull questions like VITTA do. You still have to realise that once you understand what a question is about, the biggest hurdle is actually answering the questions properly to get all the marks - so you can use the VITTA exams to your advantage there.
Well that is somewhat reassuring - I didn't want to hear that they were pretty much the same difficulty. And I noticed their answers of the multichoices stated that "testing the components in the solution" would be a part of design, so I may have to reinspect some of the other answers.
Bachelor of Arts at UoM

MJRomeo81

• Part of the furniture
  • Princeps
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2012, 12:25:07 am »
+1
I found the VITTA exams tougher than VCAA. However I cannot stress the importance of the big 8 mark (is it still 8 marks this year?) question. If you want to score well in this subject, nail this question. The rest of the state is likely to stuff up so you may as well take advantage.

Murphy was an optimist

“If I had an hour to solve a problem I'd spend 55 minutes defining the problem and 5 minutes thinking about solutions.”
― Albert Einstein

Kanon

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +68
  • School: Carwatha College P-12
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2012, 12:50:39 am »
+1
Quote from: MJ The Badass

Difference between a star and bus network topology?

Dissect the following url and explain how it is formed: http://www.ihopeyouguysallscore40plus.com/screwyouvcaa.html  (hint. what file is being accessed on which domain and protocols...etc.)

What are the five types of reports?

What is cloud computing?

Explain the purpose and functions of a VPN.

1) There are a few distinct differences between the star and bus topology. 
Star Network Configuration;
- All nodes/devices in a system connect to a centralised location (generally a switch).
- Each connection is generally independent of each other, meaning that if a cable breaks from one node to the switch only that connection will be severed

Bus Network Configuration;
- Multiple nodes/devices are connected to a cable, and data is sent through that cable without aid of a processing device such as switch or a HUB.
- Somewhat older system, isn't as prominently used  due to the feasibility of switches/hubs in home networks.
- If the main cable breaks, the entire system will stop working.

2)
 http://www.ihopeyouguysallscore40plus.com/screwyouvcaa.html 
http = "hyper text transmit protocol" - the protocol that we use to access the web server.
www = a prefix for the world wide web, not entirely distinguishing.
ihopeypuguysallscore40plus.com = domain name, anagous to a sign post, basically, it'll provide the IP address your computer must travel too to access the web server.
/screwyouvcaa.html = a hypter text markup language file on the web sever.

http://thankyoufordoingthisandtakingtimeoutofyourday.com

3) Hmm, not entirely sure on this one.  All that's springing to mind is the right to privacy individuals have, and the right to remain anonymous (Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities?).
"Implement security to continually allow individuals the ability to provide information/data without needlessly being able to identify themselves"

4) I always get these stuffed up!  Did you have any specific ways of remembering them?

5) Cloud Computing is a form of computing that occurs over the internet (WAN). It allows a user to upload/download data or information from the internet to a remote location somewhere else.  It's becoming increasingly popular with businesses due to their expertise in providers technical support, guaranteed security and availability.

6) A Virtual Private Network (VPN) allows the joining of two remote networks through the internet. Benefits to a VPN include;
- secure data transfer through the two networks
- accessability of any resources

Thank you! Sorry for the late reply, you posted it on the 11th of Oct and that was ma b'day so I was like yeah this is DoTA time not VCE time :P 
Also!  I'm struggling so much visualising how to convey what I want for the 8 mark DB question ):  Any tips? 
'12 - English | Methods | Chemistry | Physics | IT Applications | IT Software Development
'14 - Bachelor of Science (Mathematics) / Bachelor of Computer Science | Monash University

Need a website? I run a web design business!  The Summit Digital

MJRomeo81

• Part of the furniture
  • Princeps
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2012, 02:10:00 am »
+2
Thank you! Sorry for the late reply, you posted it on the 11th of Oct and that was ma b'day so I was like yeah this is DoTA time not VCE time :P 

omg we share the same birthday!!

The responses to the questions you answered are great! Here is some additional information:

•   Security protocols -> SSL, https, etc. to encrypt traffic
•   Logins with usernames and passwords -> password policies
•   Using captcha to deter robotic logins
•   Automatic timeout of idle connections
•   Privacy policy , shipping and returns policy
•   Verification emails / security questions

Nothing beats a nice table.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 02:13:51 am by MJRomeo81 »

Murphy was an optimist

― Albert Einstein

Lasercookie

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2012, 05:20:07 pm »
+2
Also!  I'm struggling so much visualising how to convey what I want for the 8 mark DB question ):  Any tips? 
Okay, so the 8 marker. It doesn't have to be a database one, it can also be on ethics etc.

I personally wouldn't recommend that you not restrict yourself to database only - just take a look at last years VCAA, it was soo much easier to answer with database than spreadsheet - it could very well be the reverse for this year. 

http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/vce/infotech/IT-Apps-samp.pdf Question 7 and 9 are 8 marks questions. Question 12 is a 6 mark RDBMS question.

Question 7
Victorian sales managers who make tactical decisions about the range and quantity of supermarket products
need information about items that are not selling well in some suburbs.
Describe how the use of either a spreadsheet (SS) or a relational database management system (RDBMS) could
be used to create a solution for the sales managers that effectively identifies poor selling items and the suburbs.
Your answer should consider specific functions, formats and conventions.
So the question provides information like this:
1. Scenario. This could be fairly detailed like last year's VCAA, or it could be vague-ish, like the VCAA sample questions one quoted above. The scenario is good for providing justifications etc.
2. What the solution must do - functional requirements - this is often good for structuring your answer around.
3. What your answer must include. DO NOT NEGLECT THIS.

First, pick whether you want to use RDBMS or SS. Have a look at this list: http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Pages/correspondence/bulletins/2010/July/vce_study.aspx#2
You need to know all those functions listed there inside out.

You can structure your answer however you want. The way you structure it will depend on the question really. Headings are a good idea. If it's one of the more detailed ones, it might be a good idea to base it around the requirements given (this is also the approach VCAA outlined as 'good' on the assessor report last year). With this particular question, maybe not so much.

Don't be afraid to use diagrams where appropriate. Draw them well and it saves a lot of space. Don't forget to provide justifications too, they really are the meat of your answer.

You'd want to talk about the name of each table (conventions), you'll want to talk about what data you need, what fields they go in, data types, data formats (another requirement of the question done). You'll need to talk about what calculations you need to perform (simple functions). Your database will have forms, queries and reports being produced too.

So as an overall structure for this question, this could be an option.
1. The tables of the database
- Data Structure Diagram (the one with the relationship between the fields)
- Discussion about the table and field names (what convention are you following and why?)
- Discussion about normalisation, note the primary keys etc.
- Discussion about the format for representing the data (especially for currency etc.)
2. Manipulating the data
- Entering data via forms, why use forms.
- Querying the database, what queries will you have, what purpose do they serve
- Calculations to produce the reports, how to produce the reports.
3. The output produced
- The reports, who are they for, how do they help the goals?

That's about 8 points of discussion there, some of that stuff might be a bit unnecessary, you really do need to be fairly concise.

Another way is to structure it by what data is coming out of the database e.g. you'd have the items being sold, the report about stuff selling well or badly etc. I think that kind of approach is easier for questions that outline the requirements a bit more specifically though.

Question 9 of the sample exam is one about threats, security etc. It also provides you with three things that you must talk about.
• potential threats to stored and communicated data and information
• ways in which an organisation can protect the integrity of data and information it stores and communicates
• legal and ethical considerations.
For that question I would use that as my three headings, seems like a good way to go about it. You could also talk about each threat separately, how to protect against that and then the legal/ethical issues with that particular one - I think that might end up taking up too much space though.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 05:25:07 pm by laseredd »

Kanon

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2012, 11:47:14 pm »
+1
Laseredd, thank you!
I really can't tell you guys how much I appreciate all this, I feel like this is a much better resource than any textbook for clearing up the gaps in my knowledge.  :D

MJ, 11th of Oct?  Best day ever? :P  I swear it should be a public holiday or something :P
I've given it an attempt Laseredd, i'm still finding it pretty difficult and I feel like I've missed a lot or need more detail but is it just me or do all of these types of questions that involve significant calculations seem to be more suitable for ss opposed to dbs?  Our school doesn't do spreadsheets, but I felt like this would be inappropriate for a SS so i just attempted it this way. 

Quote from: Question 7, Engage Education Free Prac Exam
Bill’s Gates is a fencing and gate company owned by William. He wants to create the following
information and output:
• He wants to find the employee who has sold the most gates in the past month.
• He wants to calculate a worker’s wage, which is based on the number of hours worked and
their payrate per hour.
• Worker gets 15% extra for each hour they work over 40 hours.
• He wants a list of all employees’ wages in alphabetical order by surname.
Describe, using either a spreadsheet or a relational database management system, how William can
create the information he needs. Your answer should include specific functions and techniques for
manipulating data.  8 marks
Give the name of the software used – either a spreadsheet or relational database management system:

taken from; http://engageeducation.org.au/engagedownloads/Practice%20VCE%20Exams%202012/IT/Exam.pdf
Software used: Microsoft Excel

Create a new blank flatfile database within Microsoft Excel, name it "BGEmployeeWages".

Tables
- Create fields for a persons surname. [Surname]
- Create fields for the number of hours worked. [Hours]
- Create fields for the rate which each hour is paid. [PayRate], NumberFormat = "Currency"
- Create fields wage. [Wage] , NumberFormat = "Currency"
- Layout the fields in a way that is visually appealing, eg,

[Surname] | [Hours] | [Payrate] | [Wage]

Manipulation
- Within the [Hours] cell, put the following conditional format
  "If [Hours] > 40 Then ([Hours] - 40) * 0.15 = [Hours]"
- Lock/Protect the formula
- For each [Surname] calculate [Wage] = [Hours]*[Payrate]

Outputs
Highlight the column [Surname] and format into ascending order.

'12 - English | Methods | Chemistry | Physics | IT Applications | IT Software Development
'14 - Bachelor of Science (Mathematics) / Bachelor of Computer Science | Monash University

Lasercookie

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2012, 12:25:00 am »
• He wants to calculate a worker’s wage, which is based on the number of hours worked and
their payrate per hour.

You haven't pointed out any of the 4 requirements explicitly. Where's dot point 1?
You haven't stated any data types.
You said a visually appealing design was needed. You didn't state why -- opportunity to be relevant to the scenario here.

Watch how you use technical terms, you don't format into ascending order, you sort into ascending order. What is a conditional format? Lock/Protect the formula - 'cell' would be more correct here.

I think this is might be where I'm being a bit too pedantic, but I like to always have 'why' and not just 'what'. I reckon this also backs you up in case the standard response they expected was slightly different to what you did. This was partly out of habit from the way you're expected to answer the other questions in the paper and also that I did not feel comfortable giving answers that were "too" concise.

e.g. - Lock and protect the cell to ensure that the user does not accidentally edit the formula.
edit: there was more to locking and protecting wasn't there? one in terms of the entire sheet etc.

It can make things get lengthy if you dip into too much detail though. Something like the above should be enough.

For database calculations, don't forget that you have calculated fields. Queries are fairly powerful for databases too. Just as a rough idea:

Use a query
their payrate per hour.
Use a calculated field
Use a calculated field
You'd want to get this sorted somewhere, probably also produce a report.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 12:36:19 am by laseredd »

Genericname2365

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2012, 10:03:02 am »
1. Would I describe the main functions of a network operating system as:
Administering security, governing how devices communicate with each other and controlling network traffic?
2. Are data structure diagrams/tables likely to come up in the exam?
3. Are flowcharts (given that I studied databases) likely to come up, given that I don't think they're mentioned in the study design?

Thanks.
Bachelor of Arts at UoM

redxman

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2012, 12:29:23 pm »
3. Is likely to come up as a multi choice question or 1 mark short answer question.

1. I would say that a NOS manages security, admin privileges and resource sharing

MJRomeo81

• Part of the furniture
  • Princeps
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2012, 03:56:10 pm »
I doubt that they will have a flowchart question. I would be expecting an ERD question however.

Considering that you studied databases, I would be familiar with data structure diagrams/tables. Even if there isn't a question specifically on it, you can use the tools to help you plan the extended response database question.

Everything mentioned about NOS is correct. Primarily it is an operating system that is designed for a server with all of the aforementioned functionality.

Murphy was an optimist

― Albert Einstein

Kanon

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2012, 04:19:09 pm »
So when something like "List some constraints for the aforementioned case study" are there any benefits from providing non-generic ones?  Like for example, unless specifically mentioned, money, time and labour are pretty much applicable to any case study.