Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 09:21:49 pm

Author Topic: Biology Post-exam Discussion  (Read 44822 times)  Share 

Biceps

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: Biology Post-exam Discussion
« Reply #150 on: November 04, 2012, 01:01:39 pm »
It's still unfair that they use some words that could potentially baffle students with less ability to comprehend some English words. They should make the paper accessible for all students as long as they know the biology.
2011: Arabic [31] IT Applications [36]
2012: english[28] Chemistry[31] methods[39] Spesh [35] Biology:[42]

ATAR 2012: 92.90

2013-2016: BSc at UoM

saltandpepper_160511

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • School: Grovedale College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #151 on: November 04, 2012, 02:32:19 pm »
It's transgenic organism because they obtained the genes from another organism. GMO DNA are made artificially in the lab they aren't the same thing.
TMO's are subset of GMO though, as all transgenic organisms have had their genes genetically modified. So wouldn't both be accepted?

In actual fact, GMO's would NOT be accepted as all TGO's are GMO's however not all GMO's are TGO's
So therefore the answer would be TGO's
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 02:36:07 pm by saltandpepper_160511 »

ktimmm

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #152 on: November 04, 2012, 05:15:01 pm »
Now that I look back I made a ridiculous mistake in the zebra/human question. I started talking about intron retention and exon juggling.... :-\

catwoman101

« Reply #153 on: November 04, 2012, 05:35:27 pm »
Now that I look back I made a ridiculous mistake in the zebra/human question. I started talking about intron retention and exon juggling.... :-\

so did I !

Gazillionaire

« Reply #154 on: November 04, 2012, 06:17:09 pm »

so did I !

so hows that wrong?

spherelin

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • School: Presbyterian Ladies College
« Reply #155 on: November 04, 2012, 06:32:35 pm »
It's transgenic organism because they obtained the genes from another organism. GMO DNA are made artificially in the lab they aren't the same thing.
TMO's are subset of GMO though, as all transgenic organisms have had their genes genetically modified. So wouldn't both be accepted?

In actual fact, GMO's would NOT be accepted as all TGO's are GMO's however not all GMO's are TGO's
So therefore the answer would be TGO's
-.- omfg, i was going to write TGO - UGH, hate this.

ferrsal

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #156 on: November 06, 2012, 03:33:43 pm »

so did I !

so hows that wrong?
I did that too! I thought it was right, seeing as originally you would have the same gene but due to such modifications it would result in different protein products and thats why the differences between the zebra and human arise despite the 70% similarity in genes thing
2013-2015: BBiomed @ UoM

alphamale

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • 'Never look down unless your helping someone up'
  • School: Melbourne High School
« Reply #157 on: November 06, 2012, 08:55:41 pm »

so did I !

so hows that wrong?
I did that too! I thought it was right, seeing as originally you would have the same gene but due to such modifications it would result in different protein products and thats why the differences between the zebra and human arise despite the 70% similarity in genes thing
yeah i did too! Is it not correct?
:)

curry_bro

« Reply #158 on: November 06, 2012, 09:36:41 pm »
intron retention and exon juggling = post transcription modifications.
post transcription modifications occurs to pre-mRNA, not the nucleotide sequence of the gene.
the question also never mentioned proteins either, so was not required in answer.
the correct answer was about how the human and zebra fish must have shared a common ancestor many centuries ago, but when the two diverged into 2 difference evolutionary lines, mutations accumulated at different locations within the pigment gene, which resulted in the eventual 30% difference in sequence (70% similarity) in nucleotide sequence b/w humans and zebra fish

Highacheiver

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #159 on: November 06, 2012, 10:12:26 pm »
post transcription modifications occurs to pre-mRNA, not the nucleotide sequence of the gene.
the question also never mentioned proteins either, so was not required in answer.
the correct answer was about how the human and zebra fish must have shared a common ancestor many centuries ago, but when the two diverged into 2 difference evolutionary lines, mutations accumulated at different locations within the pigment gene, which resulted in the eventual 30% difference in sequence (70% similarity) in nucleotide sequence b/w humans and zebra fish

could you say that the differences in both environments results in a change in gene expression in both species and that it may code for the same gene but there may be different forms/alleles of the gene resulting in differences in the phenotype?

curry_bro

« Reply #160 on: November 06, 2012, 10:40:36 pm »

could you say that the differences in both environments results in a change in gene expression in both species and that it may code for the same gene but there may be different forms/alleles of the gene resulting in differences in the phenotype?

yeap ^_^ it would probably be even better if you put than in actually. differing environments would have facilitated this divergence due to differing selective pressures. (im a tad nervous now... did i put this in my answer???) hahah

peterpan101

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #161 on: December 06, 2012, 02:32:27 pm »
what did everyone put for q 4 short answer
 it was a vague question and I cant stop thinking about it !