Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 06:51:22 am

Author Topic: P.E 3/4 Question Forum  (Read 15726 times)  Share 

michak

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +21
  • School: Westbourne Grammar School
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: P.E 3/4 Question Forum
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2013, 05:19:32 pm »
+1
Why does the trained athlete have a lower cardiac output at sub-maximal levels than the untrained individual?

The trained athlete has a greater strike volume which means they can pump out more blood per beat compared to the untrained athlete. As a result during submaximal activities the trained athlete will be able to pump their heart less times than the untrained athlete to pump the same amount of blood around the body.
Eg
Untrained may need to pump 10 times to transport 1L of blood
The trained may only need 7 times to pump 1L
:)
2011: Bio [36]
2012: Legal [42] PE [43] Chem [33] English [40] Methods [25] 
ATAR: 93.30
2013: B. Arts at Monash University
2014: Bachelor of Laws/Bachelor of Arts at Monash

Smiley_

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +147
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2013, 05:37:48 pm »
The trained athlete has a greater strike volume which means they can pump out more blood per beat compared to the untrained athlete. As a result during submaximal activities the trained athlete will be able to pump their heart less times than the untrained athlete to pump the same amount of blood around the body.
Eg
Untrained may need to pump 10 times to transport 1L of blood
The trained may only need 7 times to pump 1L
:)

thank you so much

another question
does the beep test rely on the atp-pc system?

lala1911

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2013, 05:53:25 pm »
The beep test (20m shuttle run) relies on the aerobic energy system. Remember that the beep test goes on for around like 5-15 minutes on average, around that.

Smiley_

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2013, 06:08:40 pm »
The beep test (20m shuttle run) relies on the aerobic energy system. Remember that the beep test goes on for around like 5-15 minutes on average, around that.

when discussing energy system interplay would you talk about the atp-pc system? (other than 'all the systems are activated at the onset of exercise")

lala1911

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2013, 06:13:26 pm »

when discussing energy system interplay would you talk about the atp-pc system? (other than 'all the systems are activated at the onset of exercise")
Of course. Interplay is where all three systems contribute, although one is predominant.

Smiley_

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2013, 06:25:46 pm »
Of course. Interplay is where all three systems contribute, although one is predominant.

ok thanks but how would i talk about it because normally you would say for the first 10 seconds the atp-pc is dominant but is this the case with the beep test?

lala1911

« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2013, 06:39:05 pm »
To be honest, I don't really know myself. We shalt wait for michak to come online lol.

Smiley_

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2013, 06:47:44 pm »
To be honest, I don't really know myself. We shalt wait for michak to come online lol.

haha yeah :)

michak

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2013, 07:48:40 pm »
ok thanks but how would i talk about it because normally you would say for the first 10 seconds the atp-pc is dominant but is this the case with the beep test?

Haha you guys are funny :) ok to answer your question
This is kinda like answering a interplay question on say a marathon so what I would do is answer it at different stages.
So at the start because of the very low intensity of the test aerobics system is dominant as we have another oxygen but other two are still contributing
Then later on as intensity gets higher the contributions from the two anaerobic systems will increase as you require short and fast bursts of energy
For example the ATP pc system may have the greatest contribution when sprinting to the line to making the beep and so on

With interplay questions just a couple of things:
1 don't always think that it will be the ATP of then anaerobic glycolysis then aerobic because what happens if they ask to discuss the interplay of just going for a walk?
2 remember all the systems are working at once the only thing that changes is the CONTRIBUTION they are making to the overall ATP production
3 don't be generic in you answers link it to specifc parts of the sport. So for example in footy say when they mark the ball or sprint towards a marking contest
4 though it may seem like you are repeating yourself always say that all the systems are always working at once. I made it a habit to say it at least three times so even though I am talking about one energy at a specific point the examiner knew I still know they are all working together

Hope that makes sense :)

Smiley_

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2013, 07:53:25 pm »
Haha you guys are funny :) ok to answer your question
This is kinda like answering a interplay question on say a marathon so what I would do is answer it at different stages.
So at the start because of the very low intensity of the test aerobics system is dominant as we have another oxygen but other two are still contributing
Then later on as intensity gets higher the contributions from the two anaerobic systems will increase as you require short and fast bursts of energy
For example the ATP pc system may have the greatest contribution when sprinting to the line to making the beep and so on

but i was told this would be from the anaerobic glycolysis system ?

1 don't always think that it will be the ATP of then anaerobic glycolysis then aerobic because what happens if they ask to discuss the interplay of just going for a walk?

I dont always I was just stuck so i went back to this idea.
2 remember all the systems are working at once the only thing that changes is the CONTRIBUTION they are making to the overall ATP production
3 don't be generic in you answers link it to specifc parts of the sport. So for example in footy say when they mark the ball or sprint towards a marking contest
4 though it may seem like you are repeating yourself always say that all the systems are always working at once. I made it a habit to say it at least three times so even though I am talking about one energy at a specific point the examiner knew I still know they are all working together

[quote ]

thanks
so at the start of the event would the aerobic system dominant ?

michak

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2013, 09:29:01 pm »
but i was told this would be from the anaerobic glycolysis system ?

I dont always I was just stuck so i went back to this idea.

[quote ]

thanks
so at the start of the event would the aerobic system dominant ?

Look whether it can be either i would just say they both increase their contribution and try to stay away from the word dominant. The sports given in VCAA exams are usually pretty good.
Yeah it would be the aerobic system. because it is low intensity and you have enough oxygen. You don't need atp produced instantaneous or that fast so why waste the pc?
But if that slow pace walk turns into a sprint the atp pc system will become dominant.

Smiley_

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2013, 09:35:57 pm »
so it starts of with aerobic being predominant then as intensity increases atp-pc for 10  seconds then anaerobic ?

michak

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2013, 09:43:25 pm »
so it starts of with aerobic being predominant then as intensity increases atp-pc for 10  seconds then anaerobic ?

Yeah look its a bit weird sometimes you just need to be smart about it.
Just sometimes think about it logically - does it makes sense based off the charateristics for the atp-pc system to be dominant?
At the start of a 100m race - yes
Going for a walk - no

Ask your teacher to see what they say.

Smiley_

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2013, 09:46:37 pm »
Yeah look its a bit weird sometimes you just need to be smart about it.
Just sometimes think about it logically - does it makes sense based off the charateristics for the atp-pc system to be dominant?

i didn't really think it was i just wasn't sure how to talk about it

michak

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2013, 09:56:01 pm »
i didn't really think it was i just wasn't sure how to talk about it

Yeah makes sense.
If you want a good example try the interplay question from the VCAA exam from 2009, it was on surfing.
It is a very good example.
If you want you can write an answer and I would be happy to look over it for you.
Just a remember a lot of people didnt do very well on this question.
Give it a go :)