Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 08:36:15 pm

Author Topic: Rod's Health 3/4 Question Thread  (Read 34827 times)  Share 

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • The harder the battle, the sweeter the victory
  • Respect: +101
Re: Rod's Health 3/4 Question Thread
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2014, 09:50:45 pm »
+1
Hi everyone,

Struggling to get my head around 'age-standardised rates'.

Here is what I know;
It's a system used when gathering data. It uses and examines the rates of the particular condition/aspect in each year of life, and then using all those rates and years it is averaged out.

Mmm, that isn't that good, can someone please help ? :)

Also, can anyone suggest reasons why CVD has the highest DALYs across many countries?

Thanks again everyonee (smily in particular xD)
2013-2014:| VCE
2015-2018:| Bachelor of Science (Neuroscience) @ UoM
2019-X:| Doctor of Dental Surgery (discontinued)
2019 -2021:| Master of Physiotherapy

Currently: Physiotherapist working at a musculoskeletal clinic. Back pain, sore neck, headaches or any other pain limiting your study? Give me a PM (although please do see your personal health professional first!)

Any questions related to pathways towards studying dentistry or physiotherapy? Gimmi a PM!

Snorlax

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Snore 'n relax
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2014, 11:56:09 pm »
+1
Age standardised rates just allow us to compare populations that have different spread of ages... To do this, data is manipulated to allow age groups of different populations relative. (Ultimately, allowing data to be compared with greater accuracy) - straight from the textbook.
If you're wanting to know how this is calculated or whatnot, I think you're wasting your time :)

CVD treatment/aid is still probably developing, hence the trend - most countries having it up there on their list.

That's just my thought
2014:
ATAR: 99.96

2015:
B.Sc @ UniMelb
Neuroscience Major

2018:
????????

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2014, 12:19:45 am »
+1
Thanks Snorlax but I still don't understand age-standardised rates.

- With CVD, I figured it contributes to mortality rates the most because conditions associated with it (eg stroke, heart failure) usually result in death.

Still need help with age standardised rates ;((. Smiley, and other past health students, are you guys awake ? ;D

Currently: Physiotherapist working at a musculoskeletal clinic. Back pain, sore neck, headaches or any other pain limiting your study? Give me a PM (although please do see your personal health professional first!)

Any questions related to pathways towards studying dentistry or physiotherapy? Gimmi a PM!

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2014, 10:19:22 pm »
+1
Hey guys, just need some help here.

So I've been going over a SAC that my mate did last year, I'm a bit stuck in one

A) Using an example from table 2.14, explain what is meant by 'DALY'

- The table is a four by four, shows the DALYS of males,s females, total and percentage of total dalys

Here is a paraphrased version of how my mate answered it; DALY is the no of years of life due ot premature death or due to ilness, disease or disability for example 139000 yrs of life lost to males by coronary heat disease in 2010 --- He got 1/2 out of 2 marks only !

Here is a paraphrased verision of how I answered it; DALY is a unit of burden of disease, where one daly is equal to one health year of life lost due to premature death and living with illness, disease or injury. For example, the illness anxiety and depression contributed 70 000 years old life lost in males in 2010, and 134 000 yrs of life lost in females. 7.1 percent of all DALYS in 2010 were due to this ilness.

Is my answer better? I doubt it deserved 2 marks tho. Can someone please help me?

I don't want to ask my teacher because I fear he might get pissed that I have access to SACS he made last year.

Rod

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2014, 11:36:55 pm »
+1
Oh and also;

why does caardiovascular disease occur?
why are there high rates in au?

Smiley_

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +147
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2014, 07:59:44 pm »
+1
Hey guys, just need some help here.

So I've been going over a SAC that my mate did last year, I'm a bit stuck in one

A) Using an example from table 2.14, explain what is meant by 'DALY'

- The table is a four by four, shows the DALYS of males,s females, total and percentage of total dalys

Here is a paraphrased version of how my mate answered it; DALY is the no of years of life due ot premature death or due to ilness, disease or disability for example 139000 yrs of life lost to males by coronary heat disease in 2010 --- He got 1/2 out of 2 marks only !

Here is a paraphrased verision of how I answered it; DALY is a unit of burden of disease, where one daly is equal to one health year of life lost due to premature death and living with illness, disease or injury. For example, the illness anxiety and depression contributed 70 000 years old life lost in males in 2010, and 134 000 yrs of life lost in females. 7.1 percent of all DALYS in 2010 were due to this ilness.

Is my answer better? I doubt it deserved 2 marks tho. Can someone please help me?

I don't want to ask my teacher because I fear he might get pissed that I have access to SACS he made last year.

Rod

Your answer looks good, in a question like this you would get one mark for the definition and one mark for the example/data.
That would be why your mate didn't get full marks.

Oh and also;

why does caardiovascular disease occur?
why are there high rates in au?

CVD occurs when there is a build-up of plaque on the walls of blood vessels, (Atherosclerosis) which narrows the passages that the blood has to pass through. The plaque is made up of cholesterol, other fatty substances, human tissue and calcium. This means the heart has to work harder and CVD occurs.

There are high rates of CVD in Australia because of Low levels of physical activity (not being active enough causes unused energy to be stored as fat, contributing to overweight or obesity. Like all muscles, the heart must be trained and worked if it is to maintain its strength and efficiency)

poor nutrition. A diet high in saturated fat increases the risk of obesity. (also a risk factor) Not eating enough fruit and vegetables may also put people at an elevated risk of cardiovascular disease, as the nutrients in these foods may act to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. People eating fruit and vegetables are also less likely to snack on energy dense alternatives.

But also because Australia has a high level of health care we are able to diagnose these conditions, more easily and have a higher level of knowledge compared to other countries :)

Hope this helps, good luck for your sac :)

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2014, 09:14:29 pm »
+1

Your answer looks good, in a question like this you would get one mark for the definition and one mark for the example/data.
That would be why your mate didn't get full marks.

CVD occurs when there is a build-up of plaque on the walls of blood vessels, (Atherosclerosis) which narrows the passages that the blood has to pass through. The plaque is made up of cholesterol, other fatty substances, human tissue and calcium. This means the heart has to work harder and CVD occurs.

There are high rates of CVD in Australia because of Low levels of physical activity (not being active enough causes unused energy to be stored as fat, contributing to overweight or obesity. Like all muscles, the heart must be trained and worked if it is to maintain its strength and efficiency)

poor nutrition. A diet high in saturated fat increases the risk of obesity. (also a risk factor) Not eating enough fruit and vegetables may also put people at an elevated risk of cardiovascular disease, as the nutrients in these foods may act to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. People eating fruit and vegetables are also less likely to snack on energy dense alternatives.

But also because Australia has a high level of health care we are able to diagnose these conditions, more easily and have a higher level of knowledge compared to other countries :)

Hope this helps, good luck for your sac :)
Thank you soooooooo much Smiley :)

Really appreciate all this! Wish me luck for tomorrow, my third SAC this year, but my first for health.. Getting butterflies xD. I've got about 21 definitions memorized word for word for it, so I think tonight and during my free periods tomorrow I'll just revise them + lightly go over my notes and teacher's notes

Rod

lucas.vang

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2014, 10:00:18 am »
+1
Hi all, thanks for all the information, its really helpful haha

i have a quick question..

This type of question has been recurring in the whole book and im not quite sure how to answer it effectively... for example:
How does ______ contribute to variations to the health status?

so if i were to do smoking, would this be a reasonable answer

If the amount of smokers were to increase this would increase the prevalence of long-term conditions such as CVD, respiratory conditions and many forms of cancer. Overall this places a significant burden on the overall health status of an individual as it increases the DALY's by contributing to both YLL and YLD resulting in a shorter life expectancy.

?? am i missing anything? any improvements!
thanks ;D

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2014, 04:17:24 pm »
+1
Hi all, thanks for all the information, its really helpful haha

i have a quick question..

This type of question has been recurring in the whole book and im not quite sure how to answer it effectively... for example:
How does ______ contribute to variations to the health status?

so if i were to do smoking, would this be a reasonable answer

If the amount of smokers were to increase this would increase the prevalence of long-term conditions such as CVD, respiratory conditions and many forms of cancer. Overall this places a significant burden on the overall health status of an individual as it increases the DALY's by contributing to both YLL and YLD resulting in a shorter life expectancy.

?? am i missing anything? any improvements!
thanks ;D
Yeah that's pretty good.
Here is what I would do; Smoking causes respiratory diseases such as lung cancer, and increases chances of CVD. These diseases, which occur to smokers, promotes ill health and mortality, causing life expectancy to decrease. All these conditions also effect the individual's health negatively.

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2014, 05:13:31 pm »
+1
Hey everyone, just need a bit of help here

Syndrome X - I don't fully understand this;

So it's pretty much a collection of conditions that occur in a population. These conditions include high blood cholesterol, abdominal fat, bad cholesterol (eg HDL), high blood sugar with high insulin levels. It's a collection of conditions that give an individual and increased chance of diabetes and heart disease. Syndrome X's premature death is six times more than the average.

Am I on the right track?

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2014, 05:45:36 pm »
+1
Oh, and another question has popped up as well;

- What does it mean by males having a more 'casual attitude' towards health care such as going to the doctor's when sick. Anchy mentioned before that males think that it is 'more manly to not go', which is appropriate as I think that way :P. Any other ideas?

Thanks again :D

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2014, 06:54:17 pm »
+1
I've got another question! I'm on a roll today :D

Oestrogen is a protective factor for bone density in women. When women undergo menopause, oestrogen declines, so they encounter a loss of bone density, increasing chances of osteoporosis.

How about men? The textbook doesn't discuss protective factors of bone density in men, and why men don't really lose bone density (unless of a terrible disease) unlike women.

Thank you!

Snorlax

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Snore 'n relax
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2014, 07:07:26 pm »
+1
Oestrogen is a protective factor for bone density in women. When women undergo menopause, oestrogen declines, so they encounter a loss of bone density, increasing chances of osteoporosis.

How about men? The textbook doesn't discuss protective factors of bone density in men, and why men don't really lose bone density (unless of a terrible disease) unlike women.

Men don't have oestrogen?
2014:
ATAR: 99.96

2015:
B.Sc @ UniMelb
Neuroscience Major

2018:
????????

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2014, 07:11:47 pm »
+1
Men don't have oestrogen?
Only a small amount apparently. Does not answer my question, other factors promote bone density in men, and I want to find out what they are :).

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2014, 07:13:06 pm »
+1
Smiley !!!

Where art thou? xD

Help needed :)