Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 17, 2024, 12:21:07 am

Author Topic: Rod's Health 3/4 Question Thread  (Read 34828 times)  Share 

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • The harder the battle, the sweeter the victory
  • Respect: +101
Rod's Health 3/4 Question Thread
« on: January 09, 2014, 10:56:33 pm »
Hey guys just have a few questions here,

1) Alright, so we obviously know the limitations of the WHO health definition, what is an advantage? I was thinking of that it goes through the three dimensions of health that all contribute to optimum health, which may be an advantage??

2) When looking at morbidity rates, why is it important that we consider both incidence and prevalence rates? Had no idea how to explain this..
2013-2014:| VCE
2015-2018:| Bachelor of Science (Neuroscience) @ UoM
2019-X:| Doctor of Dental Surgery (discontinued)
2019 -2021:| Master of Physiotherapy

Currently: Physiotherapist working at a musculoskeletal clinic. Back pain, sore neck, headaches or any other pain limiting your study? Give me a PM (although please do see your personal health professional first!)

Any questions related to pathways towards studying dentistry or physiotherapy? Gimmi a PM!

Smiley_

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +147
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Re: Rod's Health 3/4 Question Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 11:03:11 pm »
+1
1. Advantages include
 :) it was the first time that health had been considered as being more than physical health
 :) it made the definition of health become more inclusive and achievable

Was this a specific question?

2. Incidence gives an indication of how many new cases were reported in a given period. Without incidence data, it is impossible to identify trends in the condition. For example, consider a condition like hepatitis C (which has no cure and will be present in a person forever). The prevalence rates alone for hepatitis C would not show current trends with regard to infection. A strategy could be put in place to target hepatitis C and could prevent all new infections; however, without incidence data, the number of new infections would not be known and, therefore, would be unlikely to be targeted. :)

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 11:41:38 pm »
1. Advantages include
 :) it was the first time that health had been considered as being more than physical health
 :) it made the definition of health become more inclusive and achievable

Was this a specific question?

2. Incidence gives an indication of how many new cases were reported in a given period. Without incidence data, it is impossible to identify trends in the condition. For example, consider a condition like hepatitis C (which has no cure and will be present in a person forever). The prevalence rates alone for hepatitis C would not show current trends with regard to infection. A strategy could be put in place to target hepatitis C and could prevent all new infections; however, without incidence data
, the number of new infections would not be known and, therefore, would be unlikely to be targeted. :)

I see ! Thank you heaps :). And no that was not a specific question, just something I was thinking about! But the second was actually a question. :)

Currently: Physiotherapist working at a musculoskeletal clinic. Back pain, sore neck, headaches or any other pain limiting your study? Give me a PM (although please do see your personal health professional first!)

Any questions related to pathways towards studying dentistry or physiotherapy? Gimmi a PM!

Only Cheating Yourself

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: -32
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 08:57:10 am »
Hey guys just have a few questions here,

1) Alright, so we obviously know the limitations of the WHO health definition, what is an advantage? I was thinking of that it goes through the three dimensions of health that all contribute to optimum health, which may be an advantage??

2) When looking at morbidity rates, why is it important that we consider both incidence and prevalence rates? Had no idea how to explain this..

2.) Morbidity rates look at how many people suffer from a particular condition and can look at both at prevalence and incidence.  Incidence is usually people within a year who is suffering from a disease etc and prevalence is someone who could have a disease from 50 years ago thats also in the research.
'My belief is stronger than your doubt'

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 05:08:32 pm »
Hi everyone,

So one of the main improvements of the WHO definition is that it was the first time health had ever been considered something apart from physical health (thanks smiley). So what does it exactly mean by this? In the past, did they only look at somebody's physical attributes when determining their health status? And not mental or social?

Thanks!
'

Only Cheating Yourself

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 05:57:59 pm »
Hi everyone,

So one of the main improvements of the WHO definition is that it was the first time health had ever been considered something apart from physical health (thanks smiley). So what does it exactly mean by this? In the past, did they only look at somebody's physical attributes when determining their health status? And not mental or social?

Thanks!
'

Yea in the past they looked at health as 'being sick, having a cold etc' but now as there is mental social and physical, all 3 interrelate with each other for e.g if some one has a positive self-esteem (mental) there usually going to be proactive with going out etc there fore mental health affects social health and vice versa.  In the past they only looked at physical health as you stated so the general terms would be judging someones bodyweight level of physical activity etc, however just because someone has an ideal bodyweight they may not be healthy, they may have a have lost a family member which affects their mental health and can stop the person from living a healthy lifestyle temporally.  So theres more to health than just physical health another example if a person has an 'ideal bodyweight for their size' they would be deemed as healthy, but today with WHO'S health definition it doesn't necessarily mean their healthy, although they may have an ideal bodyweight for their size they could be socially inactive which affect their social health etc.  So basically just because someone is physically healthy doesn't necessarily mean they have optimal health.

Smiley_

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 10:44:15 am »
Yea in the past they looked at health as 'being sick, having a cold etc'
Really? I don't think you meant to say this.

but now as there is mental social and physical, all 3 interrelate with each other for e.g if some one has a positive self-esteem (mental) there usually going to be proactive with going out etc there fore mental health affects social health and vice versa.  In the past they only looked at physical health as you stated so the general terms would be judging someones bodyweight level of physical activity etc, however just because someone has an ideal bodyweight they may not be healthy, they may have a have lost a family member which affects their mental health and can stop the person from living a healthy lifestyle temporally.  So theres more to health than just physical health another example if a person has an 'ideal bodyweight for their size' they would be deemed as healthy, but today with WHO'S health definition it doesn't necessarily mean their healthy, although they may have an ideal bodyweight for their size they could be socially inactive which affect their social health etc.  So basically just because someone is physically healthy doesn't necessarily mean they have optimal health.

Yeah :) This is mostly correct but really your both going into a lot more detail than you need to know about this topic.

All you need to know is the definition of health and each of the dimensions.You learn about WHO later on. :)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 11:43:04 am by Smiley_ »

Only Cheating Yourself

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 11:39:40 am »
Yea in the past they looked at health as 'being sick, having a cold etc'  Really? I don't think you meant to say this.

Yeah :) This is mostly correct but really your both going into a lot more detail than you need to know about this topic.

All you need to know is the definition of health and each of the dimensions.You learn about WHO later on. :)

This is a little issue i need to fix i can start rambling, so know mental,physical,sisal,health and health status definitions from study design?  Also an example?  For the e.g would be wise to just give a characteristic?

Smiley_

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 11:49:15 am »
This is a little issue i need to fix i can start rambling, so know mental,physical,sisal,health and health status definitions from study design?  Also an example?  For the e.g would be wise to just give a characteristic?

No worries :) putting an example is always a good habit.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 11:52:23 am by Smiley_ »

Only Cheating Yourself

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 11:55:01 am »
No worries :) putting an example is always a good habit.

For the e.g say if it i needed to define social health for my e.g can i say 'supportive and well functioning family'?  But thats for optimal health would it matter?

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 02:26:17 pm »
@Smiley

Can you please answer the question I posted earlier, just need a bit of help :D

Thanks! :)

Smiley_

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 02:38:53 pm »
+2
For the e.g say if it i needed to define social health for my e.g can i say 'supportive and well functioning family'?  But thats for optimal health would it matter?

To define social health you would say

Being able to interact with others and participate in the community in both an independent and cooperative way. Eg having positive and supportive relationship with friends.

That's fine about the optimal health bit.

@Smiley

Can you please answer the question I posted earlier, just need a bit of help :D

Thanks! :)

The one about the WHO definition of health??

Basically, previous definitions did not cover all aspects of health therefore were limiting, now the official WHO definition does cover all dimensions of health (this is why they say that the definition has been improved)

Does this make sense? Let me know if you are still confused :)

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 09:24:17 pm »
To define social health you would say

Being able to interact with others and participate in the community in both an independent and cooperative way. Eg having positive and supportive relationship with friends.

That's fine about the optimal health bit.

The one about the WHO definition of health??

Basically, previous definitions did not cover all aspects of health therefore were limiting, now the official WHO definition does cover all dimensions of health (this is why they say that the definition has been improved)

Does this make sense? Let me know if you are still confused :)
It does :), thank you!

Smiley_

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 02:25:25 pm »

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 07:47:05 pm »
Can someone please explain cardiovascular disease to me? Some examples of it and how badly it is affecting our health status.

Thank you :) :)