Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 11:30:49 pm

Author Topic: EFPBH's HHD 3/4 Question Thread  (Read 9495 times)  Share 

EFPBH

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2014
EFPBH's HHD 3/4 Question Thread
« on: January 28, 2014, 12:01:48 pm »
"What is the WHO definition of Health? Why might this definition have its limitations?

My answer:

Health is the complete state of, physical, social and mental health but merely the absence of disease and infirmity. Furthermore it may have it limitations because it doesn't give everyone the opportunity to be considered healthy.

Should I add to this question or will this be an appropriate answer?

Smiley_

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +147
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Re: EFPBH's HHD 3/4 Question Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 12:18:52 pm »
+1
"What is the WHO definition of Health? Why might this definition have its limitations?

My answer:

Health is the complete state of, physical, social and mental health but merely the absence of disease and infirmity. Furthermore it may have it limitations because it doesn't give everyone the opportunity to be considered healthy.

This is fine :) And is what the textbook answers say :)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 12:21:48 pm by Smiley_ »

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • The harder the battle, the sweeter the victory
  • Respect: +101
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 12:19:15 pm »

My answer:

Your definition is good. Some other limitations of the definition are;

The same physical effect in two individuals can have differing effects. This is hard to get, it's one of my views. So just imagine someone losing their the end joints of their finger, it could just mean some surgery for on individual, but it could mean the end of a career for another individual. Both aspects have different effects, the definition does not go through this.

Hope that helps,

Rod
2013-2014:| VCE
2015-2018:| Bachelor of Science (Neuroscience) @ UoM
2019-X:| Doctor of Dental Surgery (discontinued)
2019 -2021:| Master of Physiotherapy

Currently: Physiotherapist working at a musculoskeletal clinic. Back pain, sore neck, headaches or any other pain limiting your study? Give me a PM (although please do see your personal health professional first!)

Any questions related to pathways towards studying dentistry or physiotherapy? Gimmi a PM!

Only Cheating Yourself

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: -32
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 05:28:32 pm »

My answer:

How else can the health definition be seen as limited?
'My belief is stronger than your doubt'

Only Cheating Yourself

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 05:29:12 pm »

This is fine :) And is what the textbook answers say :)
which textbook concepts?  I couldn't find it.

Smiley_

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 02:27:23 pm »
which textbook concepts?  I couldn't find it.

Sorry I just meant I remember doing this question from the key concepts textbook and the answer that my teacher read out was this

mad_maxine

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
  • School: A random school
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 06:05:04 pm »
Sorry I just meant I remember doing this question from the key concepts textbook and the answer that my teacher read out was this

^ yes exactly straight from key concepts, did that question a few weeks ago. Can't go wrong if it's straight out of the horses mouth (or book)  :)

Only Cheating Yourself

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 09:06:16 pm »
"Briefly outline two indicators that are used to measure the health status of population".

Life expectancy.  Life expectancy indicates how long a person can expect to live in a population or group which is useful for comparing different health status's e.g Australia's life expectancy is high, however not all population groups are expected to live that long such as indigenous people and therefore measuring the health status of a population using life expectancy can indicate the differences.  Second health indicator to measure the health status of population is morbidity.  Morbidity data can use prevalence which is the number or proportion of cases of a particle disease r or condition present in a population at a given time, which helps measure which diseases/conditions have an immense contribution to burden of disease.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 09:10:00 pm by Only Cheating Yourself »

teletubbies_95

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • heartbreaker <3 JB
  • Respect: +24
  • School: Mac.Rob
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 09:27:34 pm »
+1
So essentially, you have to know what health status entails, that is it is a measure of the level of health in an individual or a population.
There are many measures of health status , including life expectancy , health adjusted life expectancy , incidence(refer to the study design) .
When asked to "outline" , I would define the health status indicator in relation to the population.

i.e
Life expectancy is a measure of how long an individual is expected to live in a population if death rates don't change.
2012: Psychology(46) Biology (44)
2013: Chem(41)---EngLang(44)--HealthnHuman(47)---Methods(41)--DEAKIN PSYCH(4.5)
ATAR=99.10! :) umat=94ile
i liek lala :) arre bhaiya aal izz well :) <3

Only Cheating Yourself

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 12:00:18 pm »

My answer:

Hey, why doesn't WHO's definition give everybody the opportunity to be considered healthy?

Smiley_

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 05:27:57 pm »
Hey, why doesn't WHO's definition give everybody the opportunity to be considered healthy?

Think about what the definition is
Health is the complete state of, physical, social and mental health but merely the absence of disease and infirmity.

IF some is perfectly fit and healthy (physical) and has a support network of friends and family (social)but they have low self esteem and self worth then they cannot be considered to be in full health.
Therefore it is limiting

This works with all the dimensions.

Only Cheating Yourself

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 08:59:01 pm »
Think about what the definition is
Health is the complete state of, physical, social and mental health but merely the absence of disease and infirmity.

IF some is perfectly fit and healthy (physical) and has a support network of friends and family (social)but they have low self esteem and self worth then they cannot be considered to be in full health.
Therefore it is limiting

This works with all the dimensions.

Thanks, but how is that limited?  A person who is not healthy in one dimension but healthy in all the others means that who's health isn limited as you its easy to identify who has optimal health. 

Smiley_

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 09:33:18 pm »
Thanks, but how is that limited?  A person who is not healthy in one dimension but healthy in all the others means that who's health isn limited as you its easy to identify who has optimal health.

You don't need to go into any more detail than that :)

Only Cheating Yourself

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 10:26:08 pm »
You don't need to go into any more detail than that :)

No worries thanks.  Wait a sec, is WHO's definition defining health as a person has optimal health in all three dimensions?

Only Cheating Yourself

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 08:14:36 am »
"identify two areas of Australia's health status where there is room for improvement. suggest one way that that each of these areas could be improved"

how would you go about answering this question?

U5MR and Health adjusted life years (HALE).  Compared to developed countries, Australia's U5MR is quite high indicating that improvement is to be made, one way this can be improved is by identifying trends in U5MR allowing the government to develop strategies.  HALE, life expectancy for Australians is among the highest however Japan has an higher HALE indicating room for improvement.  HALE can be improved by educating Australians on cardiovascular diseases i particular coronary heart disease,as it the leading cause of death in Aus.