Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 06:50:51 pm

Author Topic: HHD Discussion Thread 2014  (Read 39986 times)  Share 

mad_maxine

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
  • School: A random school
  • School Grad Year: 2014
Re: HHD Discussion Thread 2014
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2014, 04:40:09 pm »
+1
Nah Friday :D.

When is your next SAC MM?

Hahaha soz for late reply... I ended up sleeping after I posted that  :P
Mines in a couple of weeks

mad_maxine

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2014, 04:40:30 pm »
+3
Is it weird of me to say I enjoy memorising definitions?

Yes.

Auralee

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2014, 05:19:56 pm »
+1
We just had our first SAC today.. I think I did okay. Data analysis requires so much attention.. it's like the little details that separate someone who gets full marks and someone who doesn't. GAH, hopefully I did okay. We only have six SACs over the entire year? We're just starting the NHPAs and the next SAC isn't until next term... weird.

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • The harder the battle, the sweeter the victory
  • Respect: +101
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2014, 05:47:18 pm »
+1
F*** me, the SAC today was hard, there goes my ranking ;(.

There was a nine mark question!! Finished just in time but have no idea how I went. Hoping for the best.
2013-2014:| VCE
2015-2018:| Bachelor of Science (Neuroscience) @ UoM
2019-X:| Doctor of Dental Surgery (discontinued)
2019 -2021:| Master of Physiotherapy

Currently: Physiotherapist working at a musculoskeletal clinic. Back pain, sore neck, headaches or any other pain limiting your study? Give me a PM (although please do see your personal health professional first!)

Any questions related to pathways towards studying dentistry or physiotherapy? Gimmi a PM!

Bluegirl

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2014, 05:52:54 pm »
+2
My first SAC isn't for two weeks... Wow.

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2014, 05:53:29 pm »
+1
My first SAC isn't for two weeks... Wow.
ive already had 2!

Currently: Physiotherapist working at a musculoskeletal clinic. Back pain, sore neck, headaches or any other pain limiting your study? Give me a PM (although please do see your personal health professional first!)

Any questions related to pathways towards studying dentistry or physiotherapy? Gimmi a PM!

Bluegirl

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2014, 05:54:48 pm »
+1
ive already had 2!

Ours is going to be on the first three chapters of Key Concepts. So, won't start NHPAs for two more weeks.

mad_maxine

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2014, 06:29:34 pm »
+1
F*** me, the SAC today was hard, there goes my ranking ;(.

There was a nine mark question!! Finished just in time but have no idea how I went. Hoping for the best.

I reckon it'll be ok  :) you have so many more chances to improve your ranking, and I'm confident that you will :)
I think you're just overthinking it, it'll be fine!
Although that 9 marker sounds like a doozy... You poor thing  :(
Even though you don't sound too confident about it, I'm still sure you aced it  ;)
Try not to think about it too much and relax now that it's over. Chances are that if you found it hard, so did many others.

:)

Snorlax

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Snore 'n relax
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2014, 07:43:47 pm »
+1
Got my first SAC back yesterday (yay)
Didn't get what I hoped for, but relative to my HHD cohort, t'was pretty good.
Teacher refused to tell me my rank :D hahahhahaha

Rank 1 got ~95% while I got ~83 :(   (SAC wasn't out of much, so marks wise, it was a ~3 mark difference)
Spread between First and Second was 1 mark - so pretty pleased overall.

Good luck for peoplezzz next SAC (and first SAC?) lol.
2014:
ATAR: 99.96

2015:
B.Sc @ UniMelb
Neuroscience Major

2018:
????????

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2014, 07:45:12 pm »
+1
I reckon it'll be ok  :) you have so many more chances to improve your ranking, and I'm confident that you will :)
I think you're just overthinking it, it'll be fine!
Although that 9 marker sounds like a doozy... You poor thing  :(
Even though you don't sound too confident about it, I'm still sure you aced it  ;)
Try not to think about it too much and relax now that it's over. Chances are that if you found it hard, so did many others.

:)
Thanks so much MM :). Yeah for my first one I didn't think I did too well, but I ended up getting the highest score ;). Hopefully it turns out this way again. Can't believe that question, I even asked the teacher if it was a typo haha!

Good luck in your next SAC too :)

Penguuu

« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2014, 09:22:22 pm »
+2
100% for sac 1 yayayy!  :)
Good luck to everyone else!

mad_maxine

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2014, 09:56:10 pm »
+2
Thanks so much MM :). Yeah for my first one I didn't think I did too well, but I ended up getting the highest score ;). Hopefully it turns out this way again. Can't believe that question, I even asked the teacher if it was a typo haha!

Good luck in your next SAC too :)

Anytime Rod  :D
Yeah, for us high achievers  8) (lol) we tend to overthink things and we actually do better than we believe we did  :)
What was the 9 marker (if you can still remember it!)?

Thanks, stressing  :-[ sacs in a coupla weeks.. Wahhhh

Bluegirl

« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2014, 03:57:19 pm »
+1
How do you guys study?
We had a practice test and I didn't do too well so it was kinda a smack in the face. My SAC is next Friday so I have time to better myself.

Edit: My teacher is also adamant that we need to know statistics. For example. how does Australia compare to other countries in terms of life expectancy and HALE?
Is this a question that should have stats? Kinda a poor example but she says we need stats to get marks.
Another one could be stating that burden of disease rates for Indigenous population is 2.5 times that of the non-Indigenous population..

« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 04:07:49 pm by Bluegirl »

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2014, 05:40:20 pm »
+1
How do you guys study?
We had a practice test and I didn't do too well so it was kinda a smack in the face. My SAC is next Friday so I have time to better myself.

Edit: My teacher is also adamant that we need to know statistics. For example. how does Australia compare to other countries in terms of life expectancy and HALE?
Is this a question that should have stats? Kinda a poor example but she says we need stats to get marks.
Another one could be stating that burden of disease rates for Indigenous population is 2.5 times that of the non-Indigenous population..

I don't, anymore, but when I did, it depended on the type of information I was trying to retain. For straight definitions, I wrote down the definition in question until I thought I had it memorised, then had somebody test me on multiple occasions to ensure that I had retained the information. I think it is important to actually understand the definition, too, because then if you forget the particular wording used, you can still produce a respectable attempt at a definition.

If I had to remember content which wasn't exactly definition-based, I often used posters (e.g. a poster for each Millennium Development Goal). Another strategy I used was to take a concept and just write as much as I could about it, then read over what I had written and fill in the gaps (researching or going over content again if necessary). I guess it depends on what kind of learner you are.

In terms of studying how to respond to questions, there is no substitute for practice questions.

To answer the second part of your post, I don't think you should have to memorise particular statistics going into the SAC (or the exam, for that matter). Could your teacher mean that if there is information (such as statistics) presented in the question, you won't be awarded marks unless you reference that information in your answer?

Good luck!  :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

walkec

« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2014, 06:27:04 pm »
+1
How do you guys study?

I do a heap of practice questions and SACs and write out definitions a lot. And I teach my dog things, I think he's enjoyed learning about determinants recently  ;)