Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 26, 2024, 10:25:32 am

Author Topic: Section B Discussion  (Read 17063 times)  Share 

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
Section B Discussion
« on: October 29, 2014, 12:06:48 pm »
How'd you go?! Section B discussion here :)

The prompts:

Imaginative landscape: Imagination shapes our response to the landscape.

Whose reality?: Misrepresenting reality can have serious consequences.

Encountering conflict: Conflict causes harm to both the powerful and the powerless.

Exploring issues of identity and belonging: Discovering who we are and where we belong can be challenging.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 01:15:33 pm by Ned Nerb »
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

doomdestroyer

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • School: Emmaus College
  • School Grad Year: 2014
Re: Section B Discussion
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 01:07:58 pm »
How'd you go?! Section B discussion here :)

I got to write about mirages, so i am happy :)

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 01:09:04 pm »
I thought all four prompts were really accessible this year. (probably felt bad for everyone 'cause of Section C lol)
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

doomdestroyer

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • School: Emmaus College
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 01:11:09 pm »
I thought all four prompts were really accessible this year. (probably felt bad for everyone 'cause of Section C lol)

I have seen better prompts, but it still wasn't bad, Section C i looked at, sighed, and just went for it ahaha

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 01:12:14 pm »
guys, look at the imaginative landscape prompt.

This is a step away from just flat out saying 'Imaginative Landscape. Discuss.'

Yeah I agree, they probably went easy in this section to even it out :/

AmericanBeauty

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 01:20:40 pm »
I don't really know if I did well or not with whose  reality prompt because I legit suck at whose reality.

One paragraph I spoke about memory misrepresenting our reality as they are just impressions of our reality blinded by things like beliefs and imagination. then i rambled on about key witness testimonial (forgot the name of it when writing it, i originally wrote memory testimonial) and how fluid memory is, allowing us to relive subjective realities. then i spoke about serial position effect. then linked it to willy loman and his repression of memory of biff walking in on him having an affair and wondering why they weren't good pals, and as such his unstable memory led him to have a misrepresented reality. i wrote it better in exam, thats just a sum up.

first paragraph i spoke about putting up a facade, a representation of what you want to be rather than what you are. this leads to self-deception and can ultimately have consequences like death. linked it to willy thinking he was some king when everyone knew he wasn't. linked it to maerican beauty as Lester stopped misrepresenting his reality, his new perspective enables him to judge his wife who misrepresented her reality living a life of sadness. ergo, i made it seem like due to all his lies and deceit he was shot in the head.

lastly i wrote about positive illusions, self-enhancing your image. i spoke about a gambler chasing the win, when the odds are against them which they'd deny. I spoke about willy ( i can't remember the link, was probably shit). so yeh

I think I did better than I was expecting.

P.S. I liked section C!! Space is like my favourite thing! Just the second visual gave me the creeps.

apoorva1996

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 01:27:17 pm »
I think I did really well on the encountering conflict one, I mostly drew on Paradise Road and did 3 short stories.
2014: Maths Methods [ ] Chemistry [ ] Biology [ ] English [ ] Accounting [ ]

ras

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 01:32:25 pm »
I did averagely on this section even though I'd prepared my thoughts for a conflict prompt on power with The Quiet American. Sigh. Quite annoying too as it's usually my best section  :'(

I left it until last so I was tired and didn't take enough time to order my thoughts ooops. Hopefully it's not utterly terrible.

vididid

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • School: sfx
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 01:33:32 pm »
I almost read the whose reality prompt as 'misinterpreting'  thank god I recognised.

but, guys NO MORE ENGLISH forEVER!!!

Blondie21

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • School: Lakeview Senior College
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 01:44:45 pm »
The encountering conflict prompt was good <3
'15 - '17: The University of Melbourne - Bachelor of Science

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Sticky. :P
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 01:54:19 pm »
I don't recall my Whose Reality? prompt from last year word-for-word but they chose an incredibly similar one this year. :S

EDIT: Just dug out my English exam (eurrghrghgh) and it was "Losing touch with reality is often dangerous." I guess the language choice has its connotations but they really didn't sway too far this year.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 01:56:58 pm by Stick »
2017-2020: Doctor of Medicine - The University of Melbourne
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine - The University of Melbourne

AmericanBeauty

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 02:16:41 pm »
I don't recall my Whose Reality? prompt from last year word-for-word but they chose an incredibly similar one this year. :S

EDIT: Just dug out my English exam (eurrghrghgh) and it was "Losing touch with reality is often dangerous." I guess the language choice has its connotations but they really didn't sway too far this year.

that is exactly what i was thinking when i was doing it. it was so similar.

M_BONG

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 02:17:16 pm »

Exactly what I thought!!!

I basically rewrote my context piece I did as practice in the piece.

I guess it's because there is a rotation of new texts this year so they didn't want to choose difficult prompts to screw people around. But let's face it, that was rather disappointing prompt choice for Whose Reality... (I mean where's the multiple realities/influences on reality stuff that would easily discriminate the rest of the state)...

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Sticky. :P
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 02:27:40 pm »
This prompt would have linked quite well with The Lot: In Words by Michael Leunig, which is what I referred to last year.
2017-2020: Doctor of Medicine - The University of Melbourne
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine - The University of Melbourne

AmericanBeauty

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2014, 02:31:21 pm »
It was pretty shit with Death of a Salesman I think. There wasn't really anything complex I could think of other than stating the obvious.