Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 26, 2024, 11:05:23 am

Author Topic: HHD 2014 EXAM DISCUSSION -> How did everyone go?  (Read 18001 times)  Share 

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • The harder the battle, the sweeter the victory
HHD 2014 EXAM DISCUSSION -> How did everyone go?
« on: November 05, 2014, 06:00:49 pm »
How did everyone go? I found that it was accessible, but long. I didn't have time to check over answers.

A couple of questions were surprises [questions that normally don't come up] - eg the fat differences, and human rights. Everything else was expected.

Application + theory ... What would you guys say? I reckon it was a bit of both...

In difficulty compared to other exams, I think it was similar to 2013, so the cut off should be around 75%.

Good luck for your other exams :).
2013-2014:| VCE
2015-2018:| Bachelor of Science (Neuroscience) @ UoM
2019-X:| Doctor of Dental Surgery (discontinued)
2019 -2021:| Master of Physiotherapy

Currently: Physiotherapist working at a musculoskeletal clinic. Back pain, sore neck, headaches or any other pain limiting your study? Give me a PM (although please do see your personal health professional first!)

Any questions related to pathways towards studying dentistry or physiotherapy? Gimmi a PM!

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
Re: HHD 2014 EXAM DISCUSSION -> How did everyone go?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 06:05:30 pm »
Also the case studies were surprisingly so short. And I thought they were extremely easy to dissect. Data analysis wasn't too complicated, except for me, Ifor data with loads of statistics, I found it hard to choose which stats would be best to use.

And another thing... I ran out of space to write, and they did not give me an extra 'script sheet' as promised by VCAA. They instead gave me another exam, and I used the extra writing space on that exam. Was it the same case for you guys?

Currently: Physiotherapist working at a musculoskeletal clinic. Back pain, sore neck, headaches or any other pain limiting your study? Give me a PM (although please do see your personal health professional first!)

Any questions related to pathways towards studying dentistry or physiotherapy? Gimmi a PM!

yearningforsimplicity

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Former ATARNotes HHD & Psych Lecturer & Author
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 06:10:46 pm »
How did everyone go? I found that it was accessible, but long. I didn't have time to check over answers.

A couple of questions were surprises [questions that normally don't come up] - eg the fat differences, and human rights. Everything else was expected.

Application + theory ... What would you guys say? I reckon it was a bit of both...

In difficulty compared to other exams, I think it was similar to 2013, so the cut off should be around 75%.

Good luck for your other exams :).

Great to know the exam was accessible! :) And dw about the script sheet thing, when I needed extra space in my Texts & Trads exam they gave me a few single loose leaf paper and made me put my student number on each one haha so you're totally fine! :)
2011: English | Methods | Psychology | Health & Human Development | Legal Studies | Texts & Traditions
2012: B.A. (Psychology) @ UniMelb
2015-16: Master of Teaching (Secondary: Psychology/Health) @ UniMelb
2017- Teaching Psych & HHD :D

Happy to help out with; Health & HD(48), Psych(48), Qs about UniMelb Psych or MTeach courses :D

*Doing Health & Human Development in 2021?* :D
yearningforsimplicity's HHD 3&4 EXAM REVISION PACKS :)

Auralee

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 06:11:00 pm »
I was very surprised with this exam, mainly for how long it was! If you struggled with content, then this exam would have been very challenging. There was a lot more 'memory recollection' than there was case study analysis. All of the graphs and case studies I thought were very easy to understand, however on the other hand, to compensate that 'simplicity' there was a hell of a lot of memory work. Lots of programs too! 4/6 of the Unit 4 programs we had to look at were addressed. (Safe water/sanitation/HIV/immunisation)

I know I screwed up the fats question..

Trans - increases LDL AND decreases LDL
Sat - increases LDL

I think otherwise it was a fairly straight forward exam. But just a lot of memory work. A lot of memory work.

e_k1234567

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 06:22:32 pm »
Apparently we're not allowed to use age a determinant of dementia? I used it ):

Auralee

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 06:23:23 pm »
Apparently we're not allowed to use age a determinant of dementia? I used it ):

... I used it too.

e_k1234567

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 06:26:17 pm »
... I used it too.
Oh wait we could, omg stupid me LOL

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 06:26:35 pm »
I definitely think there should be more application. Memorisation makes the subject a bit bland + boring.

For example the MDG progress question (application) was so awesome. To answer it, you need great understanding of the goal, and it's targets. THen you need to analyse the graph, the progress of each of the regions, and also using all your knowledge apply and explain why these trends occur, and whether the targets will be reached.

This is pure application, don't like it when it's like 'discuss a program you have memorized' or 'define' this and that.

Auralee

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 06:29:48 pm »
I definitely think there should be more application. Memorisation makes the subject a bit bland + boring.

For example the MDG progress question (application) was so awesome. To answer it, you need great understanding of the goal, and it's targets. THen you need to analyse the graph, the progress of each of the regions, and also using all your knowledge apply and explain why these trends occur, and whether the targets will be reached.

This is pure application, don't like it when it's like 'discuss a program you have memorized' or 'define' this and that.

I have to agree with you Rod. This exam tested more memory than it did application in my opinion which was disappointing.

walkec

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 06:33:47 pm »
I didn't think the exam was overly long actually. Maybe it's because my teacher always made our SACs really long, so I was used to writing under those sort of time constraints? I loved the fats question and I'm so glad that there was only a 3 mark question on the WHO Agenda because I absolutely hated learning that. I'm surprised that there wasn't all that much on DFAT (especially the priorities). I was really expecting more on DFAT because of how AusAID doesn't exist anymore and has become DFAT.

I thought the VicHealth case study was really accessible and I'm also surprised there weren't more questions on MDGs as these end next year. On the whole, I think I went really well. I think HHD will be my best subject  :) Only one more exam to go!

Bluegirl

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, 06:39:54 pm »
I stuffed the fats question. Was thinking about the LDL and HDL cholesterol but didn't know which one was for which so ehh..
And for the life of me I couldn't remember the name of the dementia program was referring to.

Considering I haven't picked up a book since my dad died... I'm thrilled with how much I remembered.

Mrs_Honeythunder

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2014, 07:03:50 pm »
Was it just me, or was this exam really really easy?

Auralee

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, 07:05:30 pm »
I didn't think the exam was overly long actually. Maybe it's because my teacher always made our SACs really long, so I was used to writing under those sort of time constraints? I loved the fats question and I'm so glad that there was only a 3 mark question on the WHO Agenda because I absolutely hated learning that. I'm surprised that there wasn't all that much on DFAT (especially the priorities). I was really expecting more on DFAT because of how AusAID doesn't exist anymore and has become DFAT.

I thought the VicHealth case study was really accessible and I'm also surprised there weren't more questions on MDGs as these end next year. On the whole, I think I went really well. I think HHD will be my best subject  :) Only one more exam to go!

I wasn't sure where to allocate the 3 marks for that question for the WHO. I mentioned Fostering Health Security, then gave a brief definition, then an example.

I thought the Vic Health was easy too. Wasn't too happy that the inter-relationships question was in the middle somewhere.

Glad to hear you found it good. :)

I feel like the cut off will be a bit lower than last years. As I said about a hundred times already, the sheer amount of memory work will really separate people.

mddd5

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2014, 07:31:31 pm »
hey guys, for the fats question, it didn't cross my mind to write anything about cholesterol. I said that saturated fat is found naturally in food, while trans fats are man made and resembled with hydrogen atoms added and are mostly found in processed foods. Is there any way i could still get the marks??

Auralee

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2014, 07:39:21 pm »
hey guys, for the fats question, it didn't cross my mind to write anything about cholesterol. I said that saturated fat is found naturally in food, while trans fats are man made and resembled with hydrogen atoms added and are mostly found in processed foods. Is there any way i could still get the marks??

That is a difference, so, you're answering the question haha.