Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 10, 2024, 03:49:21 pm

Author Topic: HSC Class of 2016 Discussion Thread  (Read 157224 times)  Share 

ssarahj

• ATAR Notes NSW MVP - 2016
  • Forum Obsessive
  • seek the full depth and height of life.
  • Respect: +18
Re: HSC Class of 2016 Discussion Thread
« Reply #450 on: September 09, 2016, 06:11:55 pm »
A couple of days before the preliminary english advanced exams and most people in your english cohort have only written 2 (max) and some writing none

Also people are too busy fooling around one of the most important weeks in yr 11

Ever experienced this sort of situation? If so what do you do?

I agree with Jake, don't worry!!! Year 11 is about your own personal study and figuring out your own stuff, your cohort does not matter. For the whole year of Prelim Extension 1 English I literally wrote 2 essays and its had zero impact on Year 12.
HSC 2016: SOR 2, Adv. English, Ext. 1 English, Chemistry, 2U Maths, Hospitality
6th in NSW for SOR 2

ATAR: 97.00

2017: B Nutrition & Dietetics @ University of Newcastle

hassannaveed

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #451 on: September 10, 2016, 04:47:54 pm »
Could someone please clarify some things for me/give me a quick idiot's guide to the HSC? My knowledge of the HSC system is a bit fuzzy which is making it a bit of a pain to apply for scholarships and stuff in NSW because there's no nifty conversions table I can consult to figure out what the VCE equivalent is so that I can be sure that I'm doing it right. :P

Anyway:

Trials are like internal school assessments right? They count toward your study score/subject mark/whatever but are set by your school?

and

What are units?

and

If I'm asked for the "position in year at trial" is that like a sort of rankings thing?

sorry if this is vague and ambigious.

Mods: If I'm posting this in the wrong place, pls don't murder me. I couldn't find anywhere where such a post would fit so just posted it here. :P

Yes Trials are internal school assessments. They can either be bought or your school can also make their own. They are designed to mock the actual HSC exam. They count towards your internal assessment mark which accounts for 50% of your final HSC Mark.

Each subject has its own amount of units. For example, English Advanced accounts for 2 units while Mathematics Extension 2 accounts for 4 units. In Year 11, your subjects must account for a minimum of 12 units and in Year 12, a minimum of 10 units is required. In the HSC, your best 10 units are counted towards your ATAR.

Your position in year at trial is your ranking in the trial exam. Scholarships usually ask this to see how you are doing in comparison to the rest of your cohort.

General information about Scholarships: Try to apply for scholarships early and make sure you give yourself enough time. From personal experiences, applying for University Scholarships can take a very long time. Also, they highly regard students who have extracurricular activities and community service/volunteer work.

I wish you the best of luck for your applications!
Hassan Naveed

ATAR- 99.35
Maths Tutor- Maths Extension 1 (98), Maths Extension 2 (94), English Advanced (91), Business Studies (94), Legal Studies (95)

Get more answers for your questions as well as weekly tips and blog posts, from my friends and I at:

HSC- http://bit.ly/HSChelp
VCE- http://bit.ly/VCEhelp

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #452 on: September 10, 2016, 05:01:32 pm »
Yes Trials are internal school assessments. They can either be bought or your school can also make their own. They are designed to mock the actual HSC exam. They count towards your internal assessment mark which accounts for 50% of your final HSC Mark...

Welcome to the forums hasannaveed!! Let me know if you need help finding anything ;D

conic curve

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #453 on: September 10, 2016, 06:01:10 pm »
I have sent in my essay for my english teacher to give me feedback on before the exam on Monday and she still hasn't given me feedback yet

She said that she wasn't going to give any feedback on the day before the exam

This is so frustrating >_>

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #454 on: September 10, 2016, 06:07:53 pm »
I have sent in my essay for my english teacher to give me feedback on before the exam on Monday and she still hasn't given me feedback yet

She said that she wasn't going to give any feedback on the day before the exam

This is so frustrating >_>
Oh dear. Might wanna just post it up in the English section then

conic curve

• Forum Leader
« Reply #455 on: September 10, 2016, 06:08:57 pm »
Oh dear. Might wanna just post it up in the English section then

I posted up one of my essay paragraphs for feedback but no one replied  :( (I think I posted it there this morning)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #456 on: September 10, 2016, 06:11:08 pm »
I posted up one of my essay paragraphs for feedback but no one replied  :( (I think I posted it there this morning)
Ah. Give them some time then; they are busy people nonetheless.

conic curve

• Forum Leader
« Reply #457 on: September 10, 2016, 07:57:36 pm »
Ah. Give them some time then; they are busy people nonetheless.

Turns out she's replied after so long :P

Oh well, she's not going to be replying tomorrow so I have to just do it and hopefully get it marked by ATARNOTES

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #458 on: September 11, 2016, 12:39:06 am »
+1

I've just spotted it conic, it's on my list and should be done tomorrow! Be patient, we want to help but we won't always see it straight away :)

conic curve

• Forum Leader
« Reply #459 on: September 11, 2016, 06:06:02 pm »
I've just spotted it conic, it's on my list and should be done tomorrow! Be patient, we want to help but we won't always see it straight away :)

Oh thank god. Moral of the story: start working on your essays ASAP and don't leave it to exam period. Do it straight away after you've finished a module or you're currently doing a module (if possible do it ahead of everyone)

karenc.

• Trailblazer
« Reply #460 on: September 18, 2016, 04:10:17 pm »
+1
Hello guys! My name is Karen and I am fairly new on this site. For my HSC, I am studying Maths extension 1/2, bio, chem, english advanced. As for uni, I hope to get into med or dentistry next year!

ssarahj

• ATAR Notes NSW MVP - 2016
  • Forum Obsessive
  • seek the full depth and height of life.
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #461 on: September 18, 2016, 04:20:04 pm »
+1
Hello guys! My name is Karen and I am fairly new on this site. For my HSC, I am studying Maths extension 1/2, bio, chem, english advanced. As for uni, I hope to get into med or dentistry next year!

Hey Karen, welcome to the forums!!!! Keen to help you out with any questions you have leading up to exams, just hit up the different question/discussion threads if you need to  :) Also when you make it to 15 posts you'll be eligible to have an essay marked so make the most of that if you'd like some killer feedback for your AOS or one of your module essays  8) Have fun!
HSC 2016: SOR 2, Adv. English, Ext. 1 English, Chemistry, 2U Maths, Hospitality
6th in NSW for SOR 2

ATAR: 97.00

2017: B Nutrition & Dietetics @ University of Newcastle

conic curve

• Forum Leader
« Reply #462 on: September 18, 2016, 06:03:49 pm »
I'm just curious to know but what jobs are currently in demand at the moment?

fizzy.123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #463 on: September 18, 2016, 07:04:40 pm »
Hey guys! At this point in time, what is the best way to study for the HSC maths exam? Past trial papers from different schools or stick to HSC papers?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #464 on: September 18, 2016, 07:15:00 pm »
Hey guys! At this point in time, what is the best way to study for the HSC maths exam? Past trial papers from different schools or stick to HSC papers?
Nothing wrong with using past trial papers, but by now you really should just be gunning out the HSC ones as they will best reflect what you encounter on the day