Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 10, 2024, 02:22:38 pm

Author Topic: 2017 CSSA Modern History Trial paper discussion  (Read 8518 times)  Share 

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
2017 CSSA Modern History Trial paper discussion
« on: August 03, 2017, 02:24:23 pm »
+2
Hey everyone! Hope you made it through the paper without shedding too many tears :) How did you find the paper? Did you study the right content?

Papers were required to be held until today (Thursday 17th) so we can now chat about the questions and the approaches we took. However, please do not share copies of the exam or anything similar!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 02:01:17 pm by jamonwindeyer »
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

JD99

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
Re: 2017 CSSA Modern History Trial paper discussion
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 03:48:05 pm »
+1
I found it alright over all...pheww  :D
but i dont know if i really wrote enough...my essays were only about 4andabit pages long..... :(

and my brain was fried from the maths exam!  :'( :o

JD99

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 03:56:11 pm »
+1
Oh and also (hope this is alright to post and doesn't give away too much?), interesting to note that the Usefulness question did not ask for your own knowledge....I thought this was always a part of this question but maybe i'm wrong........?

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 04:13:40 pm »
+3
but i dont know if i really wrote enough...my essays were only about 4andabit pages long..... :(

Yay! I'm sure you absolutely smashed it :) I'm sure so many people were in the same boat with maths, so don't worry too much about that. Such a stupid, stupid, stupid decision to put two super popular subjects on the same day - but no worries, it's done!

Oh and also (hope this is alright to post and doesn't give away too much?), interesting to note that the Usefulness question did not ask for your own knowledge....I thought this was always a part of this question but maybe i'm wrong........?

The 10 marker never includes it in the question, as it is more focused on the construction and nature of the source, than the actual content presented! However, it is always a good idea to include it within your responses, as a way to not only demonstrate your wider knowledge, but also as a way to verify the accuracy and reliability of a source (though your cross reference of content) :)
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

JD99

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 04:21:58 pm »
+1
Yay! I'm sure you absolutely smashed it :) I'm sure so many people were in the same boat with maths, so don't worry too much about that. Such a stupid, stupid, stupid decision to put two super popular subjects on the same day - but no worries, it's done!
The 10 marker never includes it in the question, as it is more focused on the construction and nature of the source, than the actual content presented! However, it is always a good idea to include it within your responses, as a way to not only demonstrate your wider knowledge, but also as a way to verify the accuracy and reliability of a source (though your cross reference of content) :)

hopefully i'v gone alright coz i reallly needed to bring my rank up!! fingers crossed!

ohh ok....that explains it then! - i did try and add some of my own knowledge, but not sure how well it linked

jim sparks

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 05:19:36 pm »

What is the question on "conflict in Europe"?? Plz help I'm in crisis

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 05:22:39 pm »

What is the question on "conflict in Europe"?? Plz help I'm in crisis
hey man! Unfortunately we cannot allow exact questions to be posted, as there are many students who haven't sat the exam yet/it's a breach of copyright :( If you need any help with anything, be sure to let us know! Happy to help if you're struggling to understand anything :)

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 05:28:36 pm »
+1
i was definitely anticipating some really terrible questions, but it turned out to be quite alright, considering i had maths in the morning. the questions were fine and i'm pretty happy with how it all went (i filled up the writing booklet)! i guess the ww1 section i wasn't really a fan of and had to read over the sources a couple of times to understand them but yea that's pretty much it
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

jacleather

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 05:30:54 pm »
+1
Last night I was literally questioning whether I would be able to pass the exam, but I found that the questions were really well suited to my strongest points of knowledge! :D (Our teacher also gave us some vague hints at the last minute lol) I ended up forgetting a lot of the quotes/dates/evidence that I had prepared but I'm just proud to have made it through two three-hour exams in one day. My hand and shoulders are super sore though... I guess I gotta work on posture and pen grip  :-\

Primallis

• Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 06:00:20 pm »
Overall it was quite a wonderful exam. The MC was all pretty straight forward. Essays were quite nice for Germany and Conflict in Europe. I can't really complain hey I felt like I had enough time for everything cause I really powered through the Conflict question.
Current Subjects (2017):
Economics: 92
Legal Studies: 91
Modern History: 95
Advanced English: 90
Extension English: 46
Extension History: 47
Studies of Religion I: 48
2016: Mathematics: 84

ATAR: 97.8

sailorgirl

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 06:03:12 pm »
Yeah the sources were a bit weird and I had trouble understanding some of the words. The questions were alright. I found the Russia one the hardest . I'm pretty happy with how I went considering I didn't have much time to study. My hand was really sore after. Just glad to get through this and maths.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 08:49:29 am by sailorgirl »

bun00

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2017, 06:10:23 pm »
+1
yaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy!!! it's over ;D ;D
considering my severe lack of study for this exam...i thought the questions for the essays were pretty kind ;)
there were a lot of "yessss" and "pheewww" going round the room in reading time so any1 who hasnt done it yet......i say it was a heck of a lot better than wot i was expecting! but i definitely need to brush up on my time management skills, didnt get time to finish all my answers which is crap but oh well the whole point of the 'trial' :)

droodsh

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2017, 07:15:41 pm »
hey!!!

HARDEST EXAM OVERRR!!! YAYYYY!!!

i didnt mind the Germany and personality question but felt like i stuffed up majorly in the Conflict in the pacific ques!! but that is solely due to my lack of study on that topic!  :( :( :( :(

Thanks Susie for all your help and tips!! :)
DO WHAT YOU WANT COZ A PIRATE IS FREE!

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2017, 07:55:23 pm »
I was really surprised that I wasn't rushing for time haha! Got WW1 over in around 30 mins and Speer in 40 mins or so and so was able to pump out 8.5 pages on Germany and 9 on the Pacific so really happy there and got a question for each that I was pretty comfortable with :) Jake and Susie, I realised I made a couple of errors with the stats I provided eg. I wrote 26% unemployment rate instead of 6 million unemployed by 1932 after the depression in germany I do not know why haha - is this at all believable and would they take marks off for it haha, and same for the political votes i put from may 1929 to july 1931 but it was july 1932 so same question in terms of losing marks! WW1 multiple choice was easy but didn't really like the part of the syllabus the 10 marker tested you on but all in all a very fair exam!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 07:57:03 pm by dancing phalanges »
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2017, 09:41:54 am »
i was definitely anticipating some really terrible questions, but it turned out to be quite alright, considering i had maths in the morning. the questions were fine and i'm pretty happy with how it all went (i filled up the writing booklet)! i guess the ww1 section i wasn't really a fan of and had to read over the sources a couple of times to understand them but yea that's pretty much it
That's great fantasticbeasts3! I'm so glad that you found the paper managable (though unsurprised, because I know you worked super hard :) ). Good job on filling up the writing booklet as well! The CSSA sources are always a bitch aha, so I'm not surprised that you had to read over them quite a few times, but that's all good - GREAT WORK!

Last night I was literally questioning whether I would be able to pass the exam, but I found that the questions were really well suited to my strongest points of knowledge! :D (Our teacher also gave us some vague hints at the last minute lol) I ended up forgetting a lot of the quotes/dates/evidence that I had prepared but I'm just proud to have made it through two three-hour exams in one day. My hand and shoulders are super sore though... I guess I gotta work on posture and pen grip  :-\
That's so awesome! Always feels great opening an exam and realising that it actually makes sense aha. Don't worry too much about forgetting the quotes and dates - you won't lose a mark specifically for those, it's just that it contributes overall to your level of detail, which yes, you do want a lot of, but one of two quotes/dates going a miss is all good ;) You should definitely be super proud of yourself for getting through two exams - particularly two exams that are known to be hella difficult. Go you!

Overall it was quite a wonderful exam. The MC was all pretty straight forward. Essays were quite nice for Germany and Conflict in Europe. I can't really complain hey I felt like I had enough time for everything cause I really powered through the Conflict question.
That's sooo good! I love hearing that many of you feel really positive about the exam :) Good job with your time management, that is usually what trips up a lot of people in trials, as it is their first 3 hour exam experience for modern! Awesome work Primallis!

Yeah the sources were a bit weird and I had trouble understanding some of the words. The questions were alright. I found the Russia one the hardest . I'm pretty happy with how I went considering I didn't have much time to study. My hand was really sore after. Just glad to get through this and maths.
That's definitely very common with the CSSA paper. I know the Russia questions from my students - obviously can't post them here, but kinda surprised that one of the topics was included, and annoyed at the wording of the other... literally could have made it so simple if they just changed the wording of two words (it would have been pretty much the exact same question as I got last year for Trials!). But yay! You got through it, and I'm sure you did amazing :) CSSA is definitely worse than HSC, so the worst is over ;)

yaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy!!! it's over ;D ;D
considering my severe lack of study for this exam...i thought the questions for the essays were pretty kind ;)
there were a lot of "yessss" and "pheewww" going round the room in reading time so any1 who hasnt done it yet......i say it was a heck of a lot better than wot i was expecting! but i definitely need to brush up on my time management skills, didnt get time to finish all my answers which is crap but oh well the whole point of the 'trial' :)
YAY!! Good work bun00!! So happy to hear that you all found it to be a decent paper - that is very rare in Modern aha. Don't worry about not finishing all the questions - as you said this is just a trial, and i'm sure you still got down some great points that'll grab you a heap of marks anyway :)

hey!!!

HARDEST EXAM OVERRR!!! YAYYYY!!!

i didnt mind the Germany and personality question but felt like i stuffed up majorly in the Conflict in the pacific ques!! but that is solely due to my lack of study on that topic!  :( :( :( :(

Thanks Susie for all your help and tips!! :)
YAYYYY!!! NOW YOU CAN RELAXXX (until the next exam aha ;))

Thats awesome that you didn't mind the national and personality study! They're two of the hardest sections, so great work there! Don't worry too much about the Conflict question - it's very rare to leave an exam feeling confident in all sections (I know I never did - it was my Conflict question that I left the HSC feeling the most insecure about!). I'm sure you didn't do as badly as you think you did, as we over amplify our faults after exams - but even so, just take it as a learning experience, maybe you need to focus a bit more on your Conflict study next time round :)

Good work droodsh - the worst of it is over! I found HSC so much easier than CSSA.

I was really surprised that I wasn't rushing for time haha! Got WW1 over in around 30 mins and Speer in 40 mins or so and so was able to pump out 8.5 pages on Germany and 9 on the Pacific so really happy there and got a question for each that I was pretty comfortable with :) Jake and Susie, I realised I made a couple of errors with the stats I provided eg. I wrote 26% unemployment rate instead of 6 million unemployed by 1932 after the depression in germany I do not know why haha - is this at all believable and would they take marks off for it haha, and same for the political votes i put from may 1929 to july 1931 but it was july 1932 so same question in terms of losing marks! WW1 multiple choice was easy but didn't really like the part of the syllabus the 10 marker tested you on but all in all a very fair exam!
That's so good! Great work on the time management - that is usually what trips people up in these exams, so so great that you've already got that covered! Insane that you managed to finish the personality study in 40 mins! Took me almost an hour in HSC (leaving me only 30 minutes for Cold War - most stressful 30 mins of my life). That is so good, i'm really impressed by that ahaha. Two incorrect stats shouldn't really affect your mark. Like it won't be a mark lost per incorrect stat, they might just not include it in your bank of detail, which if you have enough of it anyway, won't even matter :)

So glad that you found the exam fair, though I'm not surprised, given the insane amount of preparation you've done dancing phalanges! You deserved to have a great exam experience - fantastic work!!

GREAT WORK ALL OF YOU!!! You've got over the biggest hurdle, in my opinion, when it comes to modern history. I found the HSC exam much more accessible than the CSSA, as did many of my friends last year. So pleased that most of you found the paper to be fair, and that you feel as though you answered the questions well, but even if you didn't find it "easy", or feel as though you didn't do your best in some sections don't worry! I'm sure you did fine, but even so, it's only trials - in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter, just use this exam as a learning experience. Maybe you need to study this section more, or work on time management - all valuable information to have going into studying now for the HSC exam!

Good luck for the rest of your trial exams, I'm sure you'll absolutely smash em!!

Susie