Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 24, 2024, 04:36:26 am

Author Topic: Things you've never understood...  (Read 14244 times)  Share 

dekoyl

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +18
Re: Things you've never understood...
« Reply #180 on: December 15, 2008, 08:50:56 pm »
I like Chinese herbal medicine. I feel that it works equally as well (in SOME cases) if not even better than others to treat things like hay fever and stuff.
Yeah it might be more affective but drinking it down is the problem (if you're thinking of the same methods of preparation as I am. I'm talking about the ones where you have to go to the 'pharmacy' and they weigh out the multitude of herbs, sort them into sets and send you home with it where you have to brew the medicine yourself. The result is an extremely bitter, nausea inducing, liquid.)

Yes, this is the kind! We have a boiler thingo for it as well. The kind I used to take (for my poor liver health) was murky brown and tasted .. sad. I had to hold my nose, then eat a spoonful of honey after every downing. The smell is also quite strong.

Very good though.
Yeah it varies in colour - From almost a dark olive green to black coffee black. :P
The way I drank it was through a straw whilst sucking on something sweet in my mouth. I put the straw towards the back of the throat without triggering gag reflexes and drank it like that :] Minimal taste and aroma.

username

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • !
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #181 on: December 15, 2008, 09:07:27 pm »
I like Chinese herbal medicine. I feel that it works equally as well (in SOME cases) if not even better than others to treat things like hay fever and stuff.
Yeah it might be more affective but drinking it down is the problem (if you're thinking of the same methods of preparation as I am. I'm talking about the ones where you have to go to the 'pharmacy' and they weigh out the multitude of herbs, sort them into sets and send you home with it where you have to brew the medicine yourself. The result is an extremely bitter, nausea inducing, liquid.)

Yes, this is the kind! We have a boiler thingo for it as well. The kind I used to take (for my poor liver health) was murky brown and tasted .. sad. I had to hold my nose, then eat a spoonful of honey after every downing. The smell is also quite strong.

Very good though.
Yeah it varies in colour - From almost a dark olive green to black coffee black. :P
The way I drank it was through a straw whilst sucking on something sweet in my mouth. I put the straw towards the back of the throat without triggering gag reflexes and drank it like that :] Minimal taste and aroma.

Do you EAT the herby grass thingos? I guess the nutrients would be all gone but.. mm.

Yeah but you're meant to drink it warm and stuff, which makes it even worse. Mine smelled like pepper mint. I'm so afraid of barfing, its like my number 1 fear.

dekoyl

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #182 on: December 15, 2008, 09:11:39 pm »

Very good though.

Do you EAT the herby grass thingos? I guess the nutrients would be all gone but.. mm.

Yeah but you're meant to drink it warm and stuff, which makes it even worse. Mine smelled like pepper mint. I'm so afraid of barfing, its like my number 1 fear.
Nah I didn't consume it. Brew then chuck away =P
Even though it might be more effective (I have no idea), I like to stick to western medicine (is that the right way to describe it?).

username

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • !
« Reply #183 on: December 15, 2008, 09:15:42 pm »

Very good though.

Nah I didn't consume it. Brew then chuck away =P
Even though it might be more effective (I have no idea), I like to stick to western medicine (is that the right way to describe it?).

Yup. It tastes nicer (but not banana flavored antibiotics), too.

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #184 on: December 15, 2008, 09:17:04 pm »
Chinese herbal medicine is the devil in liquid form.
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

ed_saifa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #185 on: December 15, 2008, 09:19:51 pm »
Holding your nose while drinking it makes it *somewhat* better.
[IMG]http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/2506/avatarcg3.png[/img]
(\ /)
(0.o)
(><)
/_|_\

"It's not a community effort"
"It's not allowed. Only death is a valid excuse"
"Probably for the first time time this year I was totally flabbergasted by some of the 'absolute junk' I had to correct .... I was going to use 'crap' but that was too kind a word"
"How can you expect to do well when
-you draw a lemon as having two half-cells connected with a salt bridge
-your lemons come with Cu2+ ions built in" - Dwyer
"Why'd you score so bad?!" - Zotos
"Your arguments are seri

dekoyl

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #186 on: December 15, 2008, 09:22:10 pm »
That's definitely a good way of putting it =P

Yeah still I remember when it passes through the entirety of the mouth and the gag reflexes gets triggered which is the body saying "DO NOT WANT."

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #187 on: December 15, 2008, 09:30:36 pm »
And then you let go of your nose and it's like the medicine going FUCK YOU, I'M STILL HERE.

I ate half a box of eclipse mints after drinking that stuff and I could still taste it.
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

Rietie

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #188 on: December 15, 2008, 09:51:44 pm »
Why some girls think that orange fake tan looks good.
Because it just doesn't.
And it would look horrible on me - matching hair and skin is not a good look.
2007 - History Revolutions (35)
2008 - English (40), Literature (37), National Politics (37), Maths Methods (32), History Renaissance (39)
ENTER: 93.20

2009 - Bachelor of Arts (ANU)
2010 - Bachelor of Classical Studies (ANU)
Majors: Ancient Greek, Ancient History, Archaeology

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #189 on: December 15, 2008, 11:10:54 pm »
Something I never understood is why they use horse urine in cough medicine... I mean ewwww... I'll stick to honey and lemon tea, thanks :D

HUH?

Do you have a reputable source which states that cough medicine contains horse urine?

I am 99.95% sure that cough medicines sold in pharmacies DON'T contain horse urine. Cough syrups are generally comprised of variants of Codeine, and I have no clue as to why horse urine would even be a perceived beneficial ingredient in cough syrups for someone to put it in there in the first place.
Hahaha thank you Jessie I knew I could rely on you to make a post about this :)

Lol... all I have is *drum rolls* a statement made by a chinese medicine doctor... :D I'll ask him to give me the scientific name for horse urine :P

What a load of crap. He's probably making up crap to deter you from mainstream medicines so you buy his services instead. Cough medicine doesn't contain horse urine. He pulled that one out of his arse.

Actually, I think he pulled that out of a horse's penis :P

Fail. :P
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

TrueLight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #190 on: December 16, 2008, 01:48:45 am »
Because it just doesn't.

yeah i wonder the same thing too....
http://www.campaignforliberty.com

Completed Bachelor of Science. Majored in Immunology and Microbiology.

“Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past.”
George Orwell, 1984.

"Terrorism is the best political weapon for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
Adolf Hitler

“The bigger the lie, the more inclined people will be to believe it”
Adolf Hitler

"Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just

cobby

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #191 on: December 16, 2008, 07:51:30 am »
Because it just doesn't.

LOL they look like oompa lumpas sometimes :P
2008 - Economics
2009 - Maths Methods CAS
          English
          I.T Apps
          P.E

Damo17

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #192 on: December 16, 2008, 08:10:18 am »
Because it just doesn't.

LOL
2011: Science - ANU

Odette.

« Reply #193 on: December 16, 2008, 09:25:48 am »
Because it just doesn't.

LOL

Haha so true... I'm glad I'm already tanned :D Do not need those spray on tans or any of those tanning treatments...
Although one I found that works for most people is that Johnson's gradual tan cream [Holiday tan], whatever it's called.

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #194 on: December 16, 2008, 11:39:52 am »
Because it just doesn't.

LOL

Haha so true... I'm glad I'm already tanned :D Do not need those spray on tans or any of those tanning treatments...
Although one I found that works for most people is that Johnson's gradual tan cream [Holiday tan], whatever it's called.

It's not *2* bad.

...the facial stuff irritated my skin quite badly tho...
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||