Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 21, 2024, 03:32:53 pm

Author Topic: Where will you send your children?  (Read 12065 times)  Share 

midas_touch

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Serial Trout Slapper
  • Respect: +4
Re: Where will you send your children?
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2008, 02:10:23 pm »
For me, it would either be a high quality government school or a private school, I'm not too fussed about whether its single sex or co-ed but the fact of the matter is I certainly don't want kids for a long long time yet :P
Some snippets of what goes on in IRC:

<chath> ill say " i wont let you go until u kiss me bitch"

<@enwiabe> i have the BEST orgasms when i'm working through a math problem

<@mark_alec> my bikini line however, is most important

Are you scared yet?

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2008, 04:20:46 pm »
The fact of the matter is that it does matter, independent of the student's ability.

A study done by Australian Council for Educational Research and the Melbourne Institute for Applied Economic and Social Research found that:

When controlling for socioeconomic background and [Year 9] achievement in literacy and numeracy, the average ENTER score of independent and Catholic school students is 5 and 3 score points above that of government school students.
Did they control for other factors though? Like, how much parent's valued academic achievement, how much the students valued academic achievement, and those kinds of factors which don't relate to the school itself, but do relate to where the families might decide to be educated (for instance, a family that values academic achievement will probably be more likely to choose a school that has high results. The students who value academic achievement get good results because they want to do well, then when their scores are published, the next family that values academic achievement says 'oh yeah, that's obviously a good school, let's send out kids there.')

At my school, I noticed that exemplary levels of teacher-support was available to kids who chose to take it up (which was the minority). I would say that poorer performing schools would be more likely to have a culture which denigrated academics and to not have peer-to-peer implicit encouragement and competition to get good academic results. A student can overcome these things to access the full value of the teacher at any school - however, this is more difficult to do in an environment that, for instance, bullies or isolates academic students than in an environment that encourages academic achievement.

A question could be then, would you like to send your kid to a school where they have to try hard to be a good student, or to a school where 'good-studentism' is almost forced upon them? To me, it would depend more on the kid than anything else.

brendan

« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2008, 05:20:45 pm »
A good part of why I stated my preference for private schools and then State selective for yr 9-12, has just as much to do with controlling the kind of people my child will associate and interact with, as it does with teaching quality. There are certain kinds of children concentrated in particular kinds of schools that I simply would not want my child to interact with.

The existence of accelerated programs (for example at UHS) might also be a factor.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 05:24:20 pm by Brendan »

xox.happy1.xox

« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2008, 07:31:38 pm »
The fact of the matter is that it does matter, independent of the student's ability.

A study done by Australian Council for Educational Research and the Melbourne Institute for Applied Economic and Social Research found that:

When controlling for socioeconomic background and [Year 9] achievement in literacy and numeracy, the average ENTER score of independent and Catholic school students is 5 and 3 score points above that of government school students.

Hmm I agree... It does matter which school you go to... Most students (not all) are at a level where they can do well if they're given a bit of a push... however if you don't attend a school which will encourage and support you throughout your schooling, then you'll end up with "ok" results... At some schools (especially mine) the school doesn't have the experience or resources to give those students the push they need to succeed...
Speaking from personal experience, had I attended another school, I would have definitely gotten a higher ENTER.

I second your view, Odette. I had to fend for myself in high school, and if I was given the opportunity to do VCE anywhere else, I would guarantee myself a better ENTER score. :P (But oh well, I was still happy :))

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2008, 10:40:23 pm »
A good part of why I stated my preference for private schools and then State selective for yr 9-12, has just as much to do with controlling the kind of people my child will associate and interact with, as it does with teaching quality. There are certain kinds of children concentrated in particular kinds of schools that I simply would not want my child to interact with.

The existence of accelerated programs (for example at UHS) might also be a factor.

I agree with that. I wonder if it's possible for schools themselves to create a culture of academic interest or if it is up to the students themselves to do it. It would be interesting to see a school take on that sort of challenge (and completely succeed).

My school kind of did. I was in the 'high achievers class' in year 7 and 8. Even though I don't think the students were all that remarkable, they were diligent enough and 'doing well' wasn't looked down upon because 'doing well' was why the class existed in the first place. The classes were actually focussed on the work rather than on discipline most of the time. However, I think this programme should have been carried through to VCE. Everything but English and Maths became electives in year 9, which was good in that we had flexibility, but bad in that numbers obviously meant that each class would be filled with students of greatly varying ability (apart from in English and Maths which were catered to different levels). Even though there were 'advanced' classes available in year 9 and 10, these were free for anybody to take, and the most disruptive classes I ever had were during those years - although some were better than others. Things were much better again in year 11 though, but through year 9 and 10, too many 'high achievers' were lost to the mediocre majority who viewed academics with distain.

But then I think, if those people failed to meet their potential, is that really the school's fault? Could it be their own fault for comprimising their diligence for momentary popularity amongst an obscure circle of individuals who were notorious for deliberately doing badly at school? Had they have been encircled in a culture of academic encouragement, would their hypothetical VCE sucess ultimately be a construction bound to fall at a later point in their lives when they no longer had such an environment?

Also, I don't know having not had any experience, but are there not some negative side effects of going to a selective school? I never really thought that until I saw those facebook groups called things like 'going to a selective school ruined my life'. I'd be interested to hear about the negative experiences of people who went to selective schools (if anyone actually has any).

xox.happy1.xox

« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2008, 10:47:31 pm »
Also, I don't know having not had any experience, but are there not some negative side effects of going to a selective school? I never really thought that until I saw those facebook groups called things like 'going to a selective school ruined my life'. I'd be interested to hear about the negative experiences of people who went to selective schools (if anyone actually has any).

Ohhh... That's interesting to hear. I would love to hear this and get some closure, coming from a public school! Hehe, that would be cool if my self-made ENTER beat some of those from a top-paying private school. XD

Odette.

« Reply #81 on: December 22, 2008, 09:56:36 am »

Ohhh... That's interesting to hear. I would love to hear this and get some closure, coming from a public school! Hehe, that would be cool if my self-made ENTER beat some of those from a top-paying private school. XD

Well I guess the pressure that students would have to face due to their high-performing peers, I mean in those schools getting 85% on a test was a big shocker... (according to a friend of mine who went to Mac Rob). Some students may not be able to cope with such pressure that well, whilst others use it as motivation to do better.

maybejustmaybe

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #82 on: December 22, 2008, 10:02:32 am »
prep -y6 probably a public school
and yr7-12 probably my school, PEGS. i hated it like all hell from y7-10 but the yr11/12 was definitely worth it

also, i was wondering, what's everyone's reasons for doing public for primary then private? mine is so they realise the value of the money i'm spending on their damn education. kids who've gone public then private, from my experience, seem to value it a lot more and work harder. i don't know why.
enter: 91.25
lit - 38
revs - 38
renaissance - 34
politics - 40
legal - 37

Odette.

« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2008, 02:45:07 pm »
prep -y6 probably a public school
and yr7-12 probably my school, PEGS. i hated it like all hell from y7-10 but the yr11/12 was definitely worth it

also, i was wondering, what's everyone's reasons for doing public for primary then private? mine is so they realise the value of the money i'm spending on their damn education. kids who've gone public then private, from my experience, seem to value it a lot more and work harder. i don't know why.

That's probably why I'd choose public for primary as well :) They need to learn to appreciate things...

Electioneering

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2008, 03:09:45 pm »
to avoid sending your child to a lower performing public primary school, avoid living in a suburb that is on the lower end of the socio-economic scale..  ::) most of the people i went to primary school with went on to neighbouring private schools anyway.

if i ever had a child, i'd send him/her to a public primary school. s/he can wear shorts and sneakers everyday.
2008 - hi
2009 - university

xox.happy1.xox

« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2008, 05:45:01 pm »
if i ever had a child, i'd send him/her to a public primary school. s/he can wear shorts and sneakers everyday.

Grrr... I always got told off for wearing sneakers at school... And our school isn't even private. :S

kurrymuncher

« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2008, 06:43:13 pm »
homeschool ftw

phagist_

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2008, 06:44:15 pm »

kurrymuncher

« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2008, 06:45:02 pm »
lol no :P

xox.happy1.xox

« Reply #89 on: December 22, 2008, 06:51:39 pm »
homeschool ftw
seriously?
+1... How would they learn to interact with others? They would probably be recluses in their own home not being exposed to others and developing essential skills needed to tackle everyday life... Homeschool FTL!!

EDIT: Grr... I said that for nothing. :P