Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 17, 2024, 12:12:51 am

Author Topic: HHD Questions Thread 2014  (Read 156569 times)  Share 

Scrono13

Re: HHD Questions Thread 2014
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2013, 03:13:51 pm »
+3
To the 2013 high achieving HHD students;

Did you guys do anything during the holidays for health?

Any tips on how to tackle the SACS and get through the whole year? The new text book has 11 chapters. In 1/2 I didn't really like the concept of taking notes in health, mostly because I didn't really end up using them... So I think I'll just use the TSFX notes as my notes and use the text book for questions. What did you guys do to achieve such a high result in HHD? I heard to get 46+ you need 100%

Thanks guys!

I got 45, so it's not a really high score, but I'll still share what I did.
In the holidays leading up to term 1, having not done unit 1/2 health, I made sure I learned every definition appropriate to the first SAC (measurements of health status, dimensions, determinants etc), and then I just completed the holiday homework. Nothing major, there isn't much of a point in doing a lot of questions early, because Health is subjective and it's more beneficial to check with you're teacher you're answering questions correctly and including key terminology. Before every SAC I ensured I could define appropriate terms again, and also I found it important to be able to explain terms that you wouldn't be asked to define normally (e.g Private health insurance). By doing this, you're ensuring you actually understand what is going on. Once you get the hang of answering questions, it's important to really answer as many as you can. Once you've done this, there will be no surprises. There aren't many, if any, tricks in HHD, so practice is important. I started doing practice exams half way through term 3, and this was helpful. I also got my teachers to mark them, because there are so many possible answers and you can tend to be lenient when marking your own work. Overall, it is a interesting subject if you're passionate about it, and this passion will undoubtedly help you score well.

Good luck :)

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • The harder the battle, the sweeter the victory
  • Respect: +101
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2013, 03:26:50 pm »
Thank you! So:

- Learn how to define correctly
- Lots of practise
- Early trial exams

:)
2013-2014:| VCE
2015-2018:| Bachelor of Science (Neuroscience) @ UoM
2019-X:| Doctor of Dental Surgery (discontinued)
2019 -2021:| Master of Physiotherapy

Currently: Physiotherapist working at a musculoskeletal clinic. Back pain, sore neck, headaches or any other pain limiting your study? Give me a PM (although please do see your personal health professional first!)

Any questions related to pathways towards studying dentistry or physiotherapy? Gimmi a PM!

teletubbies_95

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • heartbreaker <3 JB
  • Respect: +24
  • School: Mac.Rob
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2013, 03:27:51 pm »
+2
I got a 47 for health !
I wrote notes on each chapter and then made flashcards. I spent 10 minutes going through the flashcards everyday . Then did heaps of questions from different resources to get as much practice before SACs .
During the summer holidays , was to finish off the definitions and started a bit of the differences between population groups , just to be ahead. :)
Also , the HHD 2013 Questions board was always there for me if I had any queries ! :)

Good luck!
2012: Psychology(46) Biology (44)
2013: Chem(41)---EngLang(44)--HealthnHuman(47)---Methods(41)--DEAKIN PSYCH(4.5)
ATAR=99.10! :) umat=94ile
i liek lala :) arre bhaiya aal izz well :) <3

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2013, 03:29:11 pm »
+1
I got a 47 for health !
I wrote notes on each chapter and then made flashcards. I spent 10 minutes going through the flashcards everyday . Then did heaps of questions from different resources to get as much practice before SACs .
During the summer holidays , was to finish off the definitions and started a bit of the differences between population groups , just to be ahead. :)
Also , the HHD 2013 Questions board was always there for me if I had any queries ! :)

Good luck!
Thank you!

Currently: Physiotherapist working at a musculoskeletal clinic. Back pain, sore neck, headaches or any other pain limiting your study? Give me a PM (although please do see your personal health professional first!)

Any questions related to pathways towards studying dentistry or physiotherapy? Gimmi a PM!

Billion

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2013, 03:33:32 pm »
+3
You definitely don't need a 100% on sacs to get a 46+
I was able to achieve that and I had many sac results in the 70% range. Although we may have had harder sacs, if you're rank 1 in your cohort, it doesn't matter what percentage you're sitting on with sac marks.
Just aim for rank 1 (in a weak cohort) or rank 1-5 (in a strong cohort).

As for holiday homework, I didn't do anything for health, other than maybe read the textbook.
If you just work consistently throughout the year and don't fall behind, you'll be fine!
If you're looking for holiday homework, I suggest you read the definitions you need to learn and memorize them, learn the dimensions of health, and learn the determinants of health.
If you still wanting to do more, learn about the differences in health status of different population groups (males and females, low and high SES, Indigenous Australians, rural and remote).

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2013, 03:43:54 pm »
+1
You definitely don't need a 100% on sacs to get a 46+
I was able to achieve that and I had many sac results in the 70% range. Although we may have had harder sacs, if you're rank 1 in your cohort, it doesn't matter what percentage you're sitting on with sac marks.
Just aim for rank 1 (in a weak cohort) or rank 1-5 (in a strong cohort).

As for holiday homework, I didn't do anything for health, other than maybe read the textbook.
If you just work consistently throughout the year and don't fall behind, you'll be fine!
If you're looking for holiday homework, I suggest you read the definitions you need to learn and memorize them, learn the dimensions of health, and learn the determinants of health.
If you still wanting to do more, learn about the differences in health status of different population groups (males and females, low and high SES,
 Indigenous Australians, rural and remote).

Thanks for that, some really good tips here.

Only Cheating Yourself

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: -32
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2013, 03:46:29 pm »
+1
can someone tell  me what the 'dimension of health means'?  E.g mental dimension of health?

Also for determinants of health for biological if i say blood pressure do i need to define blood pressure or can i talk about high blood pressure?
'My belief is stronger than your doubt'

teletubbies_95

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • heartbreaker <3 JB
  • Respect: +24
  • School: Mac.Rob
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2013, 04:40:52 pm »
+2
can someone tell  me what the 'dimension of health means'?  E.g mental dimension of health?

Also for determinants of health for biological if i say blood pressure do i need to define blood pressure or can i talk about high blood pressure?

Well it can be used vice/versa.
So for example, if the question asked you to name determinants of health which contributed to the low life expectancy of Indiginous people. You could say both high blood pressure and blood pressure , if they asked you to name a determinant ! :)
Hope this helps!
2012: Psychology(46) Biology (44)
2013: Chem(41)---EngLang(44)--HealthnHuman(47)---Methods(41)--DEAKIN PSYCH(4.5)
ATAR=99.10! :) umat=94ile
i liek lala :) arre bhaiya aal izz well :) <3

yearningforsimplicity

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Former ATARNotes HHD & Psych Lecturer & Author
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2013, 05:14:05 pm »
+2
To the 2013 high achieving HHD students;

Did you guys do anything during the holidays for health?

Any tips on how to tackle the SACS and get through the whole year? The new text book has 11 chapters. In 1/2 I didn't really like the concept of taking notes in health, mostly because I didn't really end up using them... So I think I'll just use the TSFX notes as my notes and use the text book for questions. What did you guys do to achieve such a high result in HHD? I heard to get 46+ you need 100%

Thanks guys!

Haha though I didn't do HHD in 2013, I think taking your own notes in HHD helps a lot! :) :) Because you can sort of paraphrase information into your own words and use your own examples :) But that said, I have heard TSFX notes are pretty elaborate so they might be helpful too! :) I think the best thing is just use the same notes you use for SACS to study for the exam as well! That way the info gets better consolidated and you're less likely to forget it! :D To get a 46+ you don't need an absolute 100% in all your sacs haha that would be quite impossible! :P But it depends on what school you go to as well! I was in a 'weak' cohort for HHD, sacs were of moderate difficulty but I was rank 1 and I think that for my circumstance, that ranking may have helped quite a bit! I don't think there's as much of a pressure to remain rank 1 in stronger hhd cohorts though, but it would help! :) Ask your teacher where you need to improve your answers and make sure you do get your answers corrected/checked (either by your teacher or bring them to this board :)) :)  Also the exam does play a big role so you want to aim to minimise mistakes in that too (heaps of trial exams is the key to that! :) ). I think the best thing about the HHD exam is the low cut-off (about a 75% for the lowest possible A+) which means that most students who put in effort in HHD (All the 2013 HHD'ers as you can see on this board) will do amazingly and get great study scores! :) :)

I think in the holidays you could focus on memorising the definitions for health status indicators and maybe go through variations in health status between population groups. Also, go through and have a look at the different graphs/tables/data in your textbook and try your hand at interpreting them - being familiar with data sets can help a lot with data analysis Qs later on! :) Also, doing Qs is really important for HHD as the exam is not merely a test of spurting content but also of how well you can formulate answers to Qs :) so do as many Qs as possible! And bring any weird Qs to this board haha :D

You'll loveee HHD! :D All the best! :)
2011: English | Methods | Psychology | Health & Human Development | Legal Studies | Texts & Traditions
2012: B.A. (Psychology) @ UniMelb
2015-16: Master of Teaching (Secondary: Psychology/Health) @ UniMelb
2017- Teaching Psych & HHD :D

Happy to help out with; Health & HD(48), Psych(48), Qs about UniMelb Psych or MTeach courses :D

*Doing Health & Human Development in 2021?* :D
yearningforsimplicity's HHD 3&4 EXAM REVISION PACKS :)

yearningforsimplicity

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Former ATARNotes HHD & Psych Lecturer & Author
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2013, 05:39:23 pm »
+1

A dimension of Health is a way of conceptualising Health - basically when asked to define the 'mental dimension of health' you're being asked to define Mental Health :)

For determinants of Health, the value you give you to the determinant (high blood pressure/low blood pressure) will be affected by what you're talking about :) E.g. if you're talking about a biological determinant of health that contributes to higher rates of cardiovascular disease in Australia - you could say HIGH blood pressure. Determinants are basically factors that DETERMINE someone's health, i.e. determinants make health go up (increase health) or make it go down (decrease health). So based on what Q you're asked, you attach the direction of the determinant (high/low) accordingly. E.g. Physical activity as a behavioural determinant; LOW Physical activity can lead to overweight/obesity, whereas HIGH physical activity can help to maintain a healthy weight & proper lung function. It's always good to mention the 'high/low' part because it can make your answer more specific :)
2011: English | Methods | Psychology | Health & Human Development | Legal Studies | Texts & Traditions
2012: B.A. (Psychology) @ UniMelb
2015-16: Master of Teaching (Secondary: Psychology/Health) @ UniMelb
2017- Teaching Psych & HHD :D

Happy to help out with; Health & HD(48), Psych(48), Qs about UniMelb Psych or MTeach courses :D

*Doing Health & Human Development in 2021?* :D
yearningforsimplicity's HHD 3&4 EXAM REVISION PACKS :)

The Brightest Witch

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2013, 05:59:55 pm »
+1
Just wanted to mention that your school doesn't submit your SAC scores in their actual form to VCAA. They take the top ranked person and increase their total scores to give them 100%, then they adjust everyone else's up the same amount. So if the top person actually got 100%, no one would get their scores adjusted before them being sent to VCAA. If the top person had to gain 2 marks to get 100, then everyone would gain that.

Then after the exam, VCAA uses the cohort's exam marks to adjust your SAC marks again and then give you a study score. So basically, VCAA don't care if you got 100% or 50%, all they care about is the ranking and the amount of space between people. Because in the end, the actual SACs are different in every school and mean absolutely nothing except to give them that information, because the actual number will change anyway based on the exam marks :)
VCE: English, Health, Legal, Psych, Further, Chem
2015: Arts/Law @ Monash

Guys I only doubled with Arts because I couldn't let go of Psych and wanted to keep doing it as a major at least, but I took International Studies on a whim after the info session just because I needed a minor, and I love it so much! It's 3:29am and I had to share this, I think I'm majoring in it bye.

Anchy

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +5
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2013, 06:03:42 pm »
+1
Just wanted to mention that your school doesn't submit your SAC scores in their actual form to VCAA. They take the top ranked person and increase their total scores to give them 100%, then they adjust everyone else's up the same amount. So if the top person actually got 100%, no one would get their scores adjusted before them being sent to VCAA. If the top person had to gain 2 marks to get 100, then everyone would gain that.

Then after the exam, VCAA uses the cohort's exam marks to adjust your SAC marks again and then give you a study score. So basically, VCAA don't care if you got 100% or 50%, all they care about is the ranking and the amount of space between people. Because in the end, the actual SACs are different in every school and mean absolutely nothing except to give them that information, because the actual number will change anyway based on the exam marks :)

Wow, i did not know this! How did you find this out?
Bachelor of Arts/Laws @ Monash University

The Brightest Witch

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2013, 06:07:05 pm »
+1

My teacher just told me today, I didn't have any idea either :)

Guys I only doubled with Arts because I couldn't let go of Psych and wanted to keep doing it as a major at least, but I took International Studies on a whim after the info session just because I needed a minor, and I love it so much! It's 3:29am and I had to share this, I think I'm majoring in it bye.

Only Cheating Yourself

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: -32
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2013, 08:31:52 pm »
+1

i don't get it.
'My belief is stronger than your doubt'

The Brightest Witch

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2013, 08:33:58 pm »
+1
i don't get it.

It just really goes to show that the actual number scores in your SACs mean nothing at all :)