Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 03, 2024, 07:54:36 pm

Author Topic: English Advanced Essay Marking (Modules Only)  (Read 607550 times)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
Re: English Advanced Essay Marking (Modules Only)
« Reply #330 on: July 06, 2016, 10:56:22 pm »
Hey!! Back again  ;D I did another re-work of it based on the comments; I also tried my best to integrate it.
Please, pull it apart and be harsh again  :) I appreciate the help.
Thanks  :D :D

Hey Brontem! Thanks for your patience! Thanks also for coming back for more :)

Your essay is in the spoiler here, with the comments of mine written in bold font. You know how it goes ;)
Spoiler
Societal values and contextual influences can either support or obstruct a leader’s endeavour to seize, gain and maintain power. The effectiveness of each approach to power is explored in respect to each composers’ context. The political ideologies within the process of the gaining and the maintenance/maintaining of power are explored in both Niccolo Machiavelli’s The Prince and Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar. Both Machiavelli and Shakespeare examine naïve political idealism juxtaposed to the darker side of human nature – that is, the need to gain power through deceit, manipulation and brutality. The essential difference in the texts, whilst exploring similar ideals, is how the composers responded to their respective contexts. Machiavelli subverts the religious and political views of Renaissance Florence, completely rejecting the highly held principle of inherent morality. Shakespeare, through demonstrating both a Machiavellian and Elizabethan perspective on the approaches to power, examines the effectiveness of a leader's pursuit for power in respect to context. The contextual influence of each composer allows for differing perspectives on the pursuit of power to be heightened when considering the values of each society. Really awesome, very rich! Can't find a fault here.

A leader who moves beyond contextual confines will have a more effective approach to gaining power, as pragmatism allows for an efficient campaign. Machiavelli crafted The Prince to advocate that political leaders have to operate outside the ethical and religious boundaries to be successful; justifying using brutal or morally abhorrent means. Machiavelli subverts the highly held moral virtues of Renaissance Florence; the moral dogma of the need for leaders to be virtuous is radically dismissed by Machiavelli. Machiavelli’s declaratory statement “exploit the man and the beast in himself to the full” is in total contrast to the Renaissance values, where man should strive for inherent goodness. Machiavelli’s values towards seizing power are totally divorced from common morality; the insistent tone in “a leader will have to stop being good, when the occasion demands” emphasizes the significance that Machiavelli places on using brutality and pragmatism. Machiavelli illustrates his brutal approach to gaining power through the fox and lion analogy, Machiavelli’s assertion of the use of pragmatism so that “the ends justify the means” exemplifies the value placed on using brutality to gain power. Likewise, I just had a bit of an eye glitch and I read that like part as "to gain likes" instead of "gain power. Likewise..." and I thought wow what on Earth is she talking about, gaining likes in Machiavelli's period haha.Shakespeare exemplifies the effectiveness of pragmatism through Antony’s cold and ruthless approaches - reminiscent of Machiavelli’s ideal leader. Shakespeare crafts Antony as a Machiavellian leader through his soliloquy; his theomorphic description of the crowd as “the dogs of war” highlights his highly perceptive nature, he understands that the masses must be deceived if he wishes to gain their power. This parallels with Machiavelli’s belief that the masses “consist chiefly of the vulgar… so ready to be conned”. I love the link here. The parallel link- yasssssss. Antony enriches the Machiavellian perspective whilst fulfilling his own political agenda, using manipulation to shift the political stance. Shakespeare’s sarcastic repetition of “honourable men” in Antony’s funeral oratory when referencing Brutus and Cassius’ role in the murder of Caesar undermines their legitimacy; tonal shifts and rhetorical questions; “was this ambition?” are a subliminal suggestion to the masses; highlighting the effectiveness of brutality in the pursuit of power. Shakespeare emphasises the impact of Antony’s manipulation, the crowd’s monosyllabic cries “Burn! Fire! Kill!” support Machiavelli’s belief that the crowd is “so gullible”. Shakespeare incorporates elements of physical theatre, such as weeping and positioning Antony within the crowd to represent the usefulness of manipulation. Antony is the ideal leader in the Machiavellian perspective, as he, much like Borgia, another one of Machiavelli’s model rulers, is “so good at hiding his intentions”. Shakespeare, through Antony’s brutal pragmatism, which aligns with the ideal Machiavellian leader, exemplifies how using deception and immoral tactics can assist in the conquest for power.

I see that what has potential to be two different paragraphs has been joined. At first, I thought "ok, cool idea!" But as I continued to read, I was looking for that moment to break, be introduced to the second text, and appreciate what it has to offer. I think that you can split this paragraph into two because in the second half of the current paragraph, you entirely infuse your Shakespeare argument with Machiavelli - that's integration! The text doesn't need to be integrated in terms of no paragraph break, it just means that your ideas need to flow from one to another. Your references to Machiavelli in the Shakespeare-prominent section are awesome!!!
A leader who decides to act within societal confines and respects morality will have difficulty in the acquisition of power, as value placed on morality will result in an irresponsible use of authority. The Elizabethan values and beliefs, asserting the religious and political legitimacy of the Natural Order which held the Monarch’s role inviolate are represented by Shakespeare to convey the ineffectiveness on acting within moral boundaries. Shakespeare, through the persona of/the characterBrutus, examines the approach to power that respects the Elizabethan values of the divinity of the monarch. Shakespeare uses insistent tone in scene...(comma),"let us be sacrificers, not butchers"(comma) to reveal the inefficiency of Brutus, who is arrogantly preoccupied by honour and morality to the audience. It is in this sense that Brutus is Machiavelli’s textbook political failure. Shakespeare’s representation of Brutus as a naive idealist is heightened in the metaphor “thy honourable metal may be wrought”; where Cassius understands that Brutus’ integrity makes him a weak political leader. Shakespeare portrays Brutus as an inadequate leader; letting Antony conduct his funeral speech despite warnings that he is a “shrewd contriver”. Similarly, Machiavelli understands that leaders who act with integrity will fail to see results. Shakespeare’s portrayal of Brutus as an irresponsible leader exemplifies the Machiavellian understanding that “if a man can’t spot a problem in the making, he can’t be a wise leader”, and that a ruler must be perceptive in order to assess an opponent. A really good embedded quote!Machiavelli values leaders who can “foresee and forestall future problems.” unlike Shakespeare’s portrayal of Brutus, who fails to maintain power due to his erratic political agenda. A Machiavellian leader would not let Antony live; the Machiavellian directive principle to “pamper people or destroy them” would ensure Brutus’ political survival. Machiavelli advocates for such dismissal of morality in order to continue a leader’s political reign; “[a leader] is frequently obliged to act against loyalty, humanity and religion” - this is in stark contrast to Brutus’ haphazard political campaign, which was inevitably met with retribution. The consequences of acting within moral confines are illustrated by Shakespeare through Brutus’ irresponsible decisions; such irresponsibility is radically dismissed by Machiavelli, who advocates for a leader who is cunning, perceptive, and brutal.

I'm sorry my feedback is so, well, basically non-existent. This is really wonderful! I'm trying hard to fault it.
The way in which a leader accomplishes a successful quest for power is the result of how they act in respect to the moral confines of their context. Both Machiavelli and Shakespeare highlight that an effective leader is one that is ruthless, and that acting with integrity will fail to achieve results.  The ruthlessness of a leader is defined by the parameters of their society; and although both Machiavelli’s urgency for a ruthless leader is in response to the havoc experiences in his society; Shakespeare, however, simply explores the approaches to power and their effectiveness. Shakespeare and Machiavelli deal with the importance of technicalities during the seize of power, how successful each leader is, is dependent on how they respond to the status quo of their context.

Wow!
Your essay is very well structured and written. Every sentence is packed with knowledge and analysis, it's really dense and rich in analysis! I'm going to suggest that you split the paragraphs back into four body paragraphs. Because your analysis is so saturated with wonderful analysis, I think you can make it more digestible for a marker. Plus you have integrated Machiavelli into Shakespeare so well in the Shakespeare-focused sections, that there's no doubting your integration.

Without knowing your essay question, I kind of just assumed you were attacking the question well instead of just agreeing with it :)
I'm sorry I can't offer more, this is definitely a band 6 work (pending your essay question and how you handled it) so you should be so proud! You've got some long quotes in here, do you have plans for memorising them? :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

brontem

• Forum Regular
  • School: Brigidine Randwick
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #331 on: July 06, 2016, 11:27:36 pm »
Hey!! Thank you so much for taking the time to mark!! I appreciate it so much, and I'm glad you liked it haha  ;D
When you mean splitting it up into 4 paragraphs; should I just straight up split each paragraph on where I begin to introduce the next text (at the "Likewise..Similarly.." part?? or do I need new topic sentences??) And tie up each paragraph with a new concluding sentence where I split it - or does that take away from it being integrated (I'm very used to writing in big theme-driven slabs like that). If I split it, should I put it back up to get feedback on the change??  :D

This was just a generic essay that I plan on making adaptable (it was mostly a re-model on power/similar content). In regards to quotes - If I make the essay generic enough I memorise the whole thing (solving the quote problem)... but dropping them in/embedding them in sentences helps me remember a lot more since it just flows on nicely without a rigid quote stamped into the essay if that makes sense?? I put them in so that when I read it out loud it just comes out, making it way easier to memorise  ;D

Again thank you so much for your help, I genuinely appreciate it!! Enjoy the rest of your holiday haha :D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
« Reply #332 on: July 07, 2016, 12:36:04 am »
Hey!! Thank you so much for taking the time to mark!! I appreciate it so much, and I'm glad you liked it haha  ;D
When you mean splitting it up into 4 paragraphs; should I just straight up split each paragraph on where I begin to introduce the next text (at the "Likewise..Similarly.." part?? or do I need new topic sentences??) And tie up each paragraph with a new concluding sentence where I split it - or does that take away from it being integrated (I'm very used to writing in big theme-driven slabs like that). If I split it, should I put it back up to get feedback on the change??  :D

This was just a generic essay that I plan on making adaptable (it was mostly a re-model on power/similar content). In regards to quotes - If I make the essay generic enough I memorise the whole thing (solving the quote problem)... but dropping them in/embedding them in sentences helps me remember a lot more since it just flows on nicely without a rigid quote stamped into the essay if that makes sense?? I put them in so that when I read it out loud it just comes out, making it way easier to memorise  ;D

Again thank you so much for your help, I genuinely appreciate it!! Enjoy the rest of your holiday haha :D

In case Elyse is taking some well deserved Melbourne time, I'll jump in here  :)

On the four paragraphs, Elyse may want to clarify since I don't write essays that way personally: However, when I've seen this done it has a short topic sentence that links the new text to the previous paragraph before continuing. You are definitely smack on with those word choices. Even taking one of your words and forming something as simple as: "These themes of ______ are explored similarly in Shakespeare's text.", will do the job for you. Then immediately continue with your analysis as normal, your wording might be adjusted ever so slightly as you go to make that work in terms of flow  ;D definitely re-post your essay (or even just a two paragraph sample) and Elyse or myself can quickly check that change for you ;D

Your strategy for memorisation sounds great to me! Definitely best to remember your quotes within the sentence you'll likely use them in  :D Your next step here should be trying to mould this essay around a past HSC/Trial question (again, getting feedback from us or your English teacher, whichever is better...

... Us  ;)

PS - I read through the latest version of your essay and it's seriously top notch. I love to see you using the feedback Elyse and I are providing to improve your work, brings a tear to me eye  ;) seriously good work!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 12:39:10 am by jamonwindeyer »

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
« Reply #333 on: July 07, 2016, 11:24:44 am »
On the four paragraphs, Elyse may want to clarify since I don't write essays that way personally: However, when I've seen this done it has a short topic sentence that links the new text to the previous paragraph before continuing. You are definitely smack on with those word choices. Even taking one of your words and forming something as simple as: "These themes of ______ are explored similarly in Shakespeare's text.", will do the job for you. Then immediately continue with your analysis as normal, your wording might be adjusted ever so slightly as you go to make that work in terms of flow  ;D definitely re-post your essay (or even just a two paragraph sample) and Elyse or myself can quickly check that change for you ;D

Jamon's right! you can split them where the second text is introduced, but provide a bit of an intro into it, no more than a sentence! :) If you think it flows better to keep it long, absolutely do that! I prefer shorter paragraphs because when you actually write them, they don't take up a page+ each, whereas longer essays can. Also, writing shorter paragraphs forces you to loop your ideas together at the beginning and the end, rather than potentially losing direction within the longer text.

Again, totally up to your style. Your essay is spot on right now so I'm just suggesting potential stylistic changes that may improve the readability of your work :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

conic curve

• Forum Leader
« Reply #334 on: July 07, 2016, 01:22:46 pm »
Just curious but how are essays marked when the moderators/markers aren't familiar with your text(s)?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #335 on: July 07, 2016, 01:33:28 pm »
Just curious but how are essays marked when the moderators/markers aren't familiar with your text(s)?

We'll mark the essays as best we can, but obviously not as effective as someone familiar with the texts. We're mainly looking for style, structure, analysis and links to the question, so we can provide feedback on everything except the quality of your textual references!  ;D

conic curve

• Forum Leader
« Reply #336 on: July 07, 2016, 01:36:05 pm »
We'll mark the essays as best we can, but obviously not as effective as someone familiar with the texts. We're mainly looking for style, structure, analysis and links to the question, so we can provide feedback on everything except the quality of your textual references!  ;D

Wouldn't you have to do some research on the texts and if possible how they relate to the essay question/discovery?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #337 on: July 07, 2016, 01:41:25 pm »
Wouldn't you have to do some research on the texts and if possible how they relate to the essay question/discovery?

Not really, Elyse and I can still see how well you are making connections to the question because if it is strong enough, we should know. The text itself is actually not as important as understanding how the themes are at play, which is your job as the writer  :D

conic curve

• Forum Leader
« Reply #338 on: July 07, 2016, 02:01:29 pm »
Not really, Elyse and I can still see how well you are making connections to the question because if it is strong enough, we should know. The text itself is actually not as important as understanding how the themes are at play, which is your job as the writer  :D

Oh okay but they usually say things like "Read your texts or else you're not going to understand what's going on in your essays"

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #339 on: July 07, 2016, 02:26:12 pm »
Oh okay but they usually say things like "Read your texts or else you're not going to understand what's going on in your essays"

This is true! You should read your texts, and the marker will have read them too to give the best feedback, but our feedback will be almost the same level of help (if not better)  ;D

conic curve

• Forum Leader
« Reply #340 on: July 07, 2016, 02:33:22 pm »
This is true! You should read your texts, and the marker will have read them too to give the best feedback, but our feedback will be almost the same level of help (if not better)  ;D

Ok. At least I've got some sort of reassurance here

atar27

• Forum Regular
« Reply #341 on: July 08, 2016, 01:08:10 pm »
Hi, I wrote this Module A Essay a few months ago and i got a pretty low mark! I am not quite sure how to improve it! Could you please check it and let me know! Thank you!

brontem

• Forum Regular
  • School: Brigidine Randwick
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #342 on: July 09, 2016, 04:16:59 pm »
Hey!! This is my Mod B - its only on one poem as of now, and I want to know if I'm doing it right/it makes sense/etc etc.
Please, pull it apart, be harsh  ;D ;D
Thanks  ;D ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #343 on: July 10, 2016, 12:49:14 am »
Hey!! This is my Mod B - its only on one poem as of now, and I want to know if I'm doing it right/it makes sense/etc etc.
Please, pull it apart, be harsh  ;D ;D
Thanks  ;D ;D
Hi, I wrote this Module A Essay a few months ago and i got a pretty low mark! I am not quite sure how to improve it! Could you please check it and let me know! Thank you!

Hey guys!! Elyse and I are working to make sure the FREE Lectures this week are going to be amazing (you are coming right?)  ;) Elyse particularly is working hard, she's delivering 5 lectures in 3 days! Powerhouse  ;D

I'm still marking, but a little more slowly than usual, so it might take a little longer than normal to get to you ;D massive apologies in advance!!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #344 on: July 10, 2016, 11:26:21 pm »

Hey there atar27! Can definitely give you some advice on improving your essay! It is attached below with comments throughout in bold!  ;D

Spoiler
Pride and Prejudice and Letters to Alice work as reflection of each other. How has your understanding of these reflections been enhanced by the comparative study of texts and contexts?

The comparative study of Fay Weldon’s epistolary novel, Letters to Alice: On First Reading Jane Austen, is a reflection of Jane Austen’s earliest novels, Pride and Prejudice, enriches the reader’s understanding of the effects of context through the questioning of moral values of the time. This is a very wordy first sentence that is quite hard to follow, you may wish to adjust your expression and streamline it a little! Each composers intention is to teach their readers a specific lesson pertinent to their respective contexts. Whilst Pride and Prejudice, constructed in the 1800’s, employs a narrative style and is more subtle in its approach due the contextual constraints placed on female writers. Weldon’s fragmented letter-style text, constructed in the mid 1980’s has the political freedom to be more overt in its didacticism. Despite the shift in context from the 18th and 20th century, the role of marriage and role of women remains a common connection between the two texts. Additionally, the contrasts between the two texts reshapes these values allowing the reader to understand the values presented contextually and how these are shaped overtime according to societal influences.  I think this introduction is covering the right things! However, I think they are in the incorrect order. I'll chat about this below. 

An examination of Pride and Prejudice and Letters to Alice enriches the readers understanding of the values and attitudes towards marriage during the Regency period. Nice topic sentence, very clear and very focused. Austen introduces the novel with an ironic intrusion, ‘it is the truth universally acknowledged, that a single man is in possession of good fortune must be in want of a wife’. This opening sentence establishes contextual expectations of the time and fundamental social value of the Regency England. Fantastic. The societal values and expectations are made evident through Charlotte Lucas, who holds a pragmatic view on marriage, ‘Happiness in marriage is entirely a matter of chance’, as she marries Mr Collins for financial security and social advancement. Furthermore, Mrs Bennet echoes Charlotte’s attitude towards marriage as, ‘the business of her life was to get her daughter’s married’. These few sentences have shifted to "textual retell", you are just re-telling me what happened in the text. Remember, your marker has read your text, they only want to know how techniques create meaning, no plot details necessary! The satirical comment further exemplifies the necessity for marriage and the perception of marriage for wealth and connection rather than love. Furthermore, Fay Weldon in the interview, ‘Jane Austen on the 200th Anniversary’ comments, ‘Jane Austen worked from first principles, that is what she would write a novel about that is what consumed her society’. Nice inclusion of quote! You could probably just say "Fay Weldon has stated..." Jane Austen formed her novel Pride and Prejudice of the 1800’s from fundamental aspects of her society. Hence, emphasises the context of the Regency period allowing the ideas in Fay Weldon’s text to develop enhancing the reflection on Pride and Prejudice. A solid paragraph! You've got the right idea, but I think you need to shift the focus to the composer a little bit more (again, I'll chat about this below.

Furthermore, Fay Weldon’s, Letters to Alice, through the didactic library form of an epiglottic novel, serves to encourage a heightened understanding of the values and contemporary issues of Jane Austen’s cultural context. I think you should be a little more specific in this introduction, what sorts of values? Weldon asserts that before reading Jane Austen, Alice, ‘must understand, the world in which Jane Austen was born’, to deepen the understanding of the values and the significance of the context enhancing the study of Jane Austen.Technique? Furthermore, Weldon, uses statistics and factual detail to effectively highlight the importance of marriage during the Regency era, ’the trouble was that you had to be able to afford to marry… for this great reason ..only 30% of women married’. Weldon, urges the reader not to underestimate marriage during Austen’s time contextualising societal acceptance of the values of marriage and its importance. This is good stuff, however, I'd like to see you do more to make it clear WHY this is important. What new informations/understandings do we gleam? You are hinting at things, but be more direct! A new outlook of Charlotte’s character is presented in Weldon’s text, creating a sympathetic regard to her decision to marry Mr Collins. The juxtaposition reveals the change of view on marriage due to the shift in context through the hyperbolic expression, ‘It is the stuff of our women’s magazines but it was the stuff of their life, their very existence’. This further exemplifies the contrast between the Regency period for the necessity of marriage and the ‘outmoded institution’ view on marriage in the 1980’s. Therefore, Weldon’s reflect on Pride and Prejudice can be emphasised through her new perspective on the context of pride and prejudice making them relevant to contemporary readers. But HOW was this achieved? Moreover,  Fran Leibowitz further suggests the reasons for her popularity in today’s society, ‘The main reason why Jane Austen remains popular is because of the enormous extent to which is misunderstood… people seem to think Austen was later in history, she has an image of a victorian and there is a love for Victorianism… I don’t think she is popular for the right reasons’. Leibowitz proposes that the historical context thought to be Jane Austen’s time generates her popularity, changing the values and attitudes conveyed in the text. Thus, Weldon directly refers to events and characters in Pride and Prejudice to illustrate her view, reshaping our understanding of Austen. 

Through Jane Austen’s context and attitudes towards roles of women, Weldon enhances the reader’s understanding of the expectations and values of the role of women explicitly highlighted in Pride and Prejudice. An ‘accomplished woman’ during the Regency Period for an upper class women was  highly expected as Mr Bingley states, ‘A woman must have a thorough knowledge of music, singing, drawing, dancing and the modern languages to deserve the world..’.Warning bells immediately sound for me when you say "A character said ____," this proves that you've gone into textual retell, describing characters and plot details. You must stay abstract, focus on the choices of the composer and how they reflect on the choices of the other. The repetition of the motif of what was expected from women highlights the lack of respect for educated women, due to the dominance of men throughout society. However, Austen presents the reader with an alternative approach on the role of women and their role in marriage. Thus, advocates for the independence of thought in women through Elizabeth Bennet’s character. Elizabeth challenges the societal conventions through the refusal of Mr Collins proposal, ‘I do assure you that I am not one of those young ladies..who are so daring to risk their happiness…you could not make me happy…’. Technique? Through Elizabeth’s persistent tone, Austen attempts to influence societal change encouraging women not to marry for financial security. Elizabeth symbolises the emerging rebellion against the extreme expectations of women, encouraging women to be respected for their differences. How does this relate to the work of the other composer? What does the audience learn? Furthermore, Austen subtly mocks flaws within women of the upper class through their self obsessed nature. How, do you have a technique/example? Although, Austen has a subtle approach to the didacticism in her text it deepens our understanding of the significance of context and how it influenced Austen’s way of implicitly examining her values and attitude of society. Additionally, Rebecca Smith affirms the subtle nature of Jane Austen’s writing style, ‘One of the things that writers have inherited from Jane Austen was her use of the free indirect style of narration…it was Jane Austen who really pioneered it’. Therefore, Jane Austen works to be subtle in her approach due to the historical context of her time, allowing Weldon to be more overt about the aspects of Pride and Prejudice.

Whilst Pride and Prejudice is a narrative and subtle in its approach, Letters to Alice, reflects on social constraints within her society in the 1980’s. Weldon provides a holistic perspective on the role of women during the 1980’s, comparing it to the context of Pride and Prejudice. The extended metaphor of the ‘City of Invention’, reveals Weldon’s affirmations of the values presented in Pride and Prejudice. Which values? Devil is in the detail! The climax of the changing society demonstrates the impact of literature and its importance as a moral compass in society. Moreover, the feminist movement in the 20th century influenced the lowering of male dominance in society allowing women the equality of education and to express their opinions. However, through Fay Weldon’s text male figures were of dominance, hence, encouraging Alice to break away from the patriarchy societal expectations. Again, be careful of textual retell! Never focus on the characters. Weldon argues, firmly believing that independence of a women is important, ‘If you are in a Committee meeting ….or a protest meeting, speak first’. Weldon, implicitly emphasises Austen’s ideas and attitude towards society through her epistolary form of writing. Through Weldon’s epistolary form, she emphasises Austen’s ideas, reinforcing how Austen wrote ‘out of tradition, if only she broke away from it’. Fay’s didactic tone is reinforced by the absence of Alice’s responses to her letters, therefore, is represented through Fay’s reaction to Alice’s response. Thus, it can be observed Weldon’s didactic text lies through its reflection to Pride and Prejudice enhancing the comparative study of these texts.

Therefore, the contextualisation of the significance of marriage and role of women in Jane Austen’s, Pride and Prejudice and Fay Weldon’s, Letters to Alice, serves to enhance the understanding of the values attitudes conveyed in the texts. Through their texts, both authors critique and present their view that they perceive is detrimental to their society, providing the reader to a new appreciation of each context. Despite the differing contexts, the themes of marriage and role of women is evident in both their time periods allowing a new perspective of the values to be presented in Letters to Alice, explored through the changes in context and in form. Hence, the comparative study of both texts explicitly enhances the reader’s understanding of these key issues in each of their social contexts.  This conclusion is nice! Succinct, it covers all the bases, packs a nice punch!  ;D       

What I'll start by saying is that you definitely have fantastic ideas in this essay; some of the things you are alluding to are really quite clever!! The devil is in the detail, and it is just your execution isn't letting those ideas shine. Let me suggest a few improvements  :D

Firstly, your introduction. You tick all the boxes. Introduce a concept, cover different contexts, how these contexts create differences between the text, etc, you meet every mark! It just feels a little muddled, a little out of order. Try and adjust it to suit the following order (remember, everything is there, just in the wrong order)

- Introduce marriage as a universal issue reflected upon by various composers
- Link to the question
- Introduce the texts
- Cover contexts
- Summarise

Again, you tick all these boxes already, but your concept comes in too late and your texts too early, have an experiment!

I see two main issues with your body paragraphs.

Firstly, it is answering the question. Essentially, the question wants you to discuss how the composers cover similar concepts (in your case, directly reflecting on each other), and how your understanding of the concept is enhanced! EG - What new things do we as an audience learn about the nature of marriage? At times, you aren't really doing this, and are just using techniques without really doing much with them. Ensure every quote is linked to the new understanding you are given as the reader.

PS - It is very hard to compare two texts effectively when discussing them in separate paragraphs. You do this well, but it could be better, have you considered an integrated response?

Secondly, it's quality of analysis. Basically, you are on the "textual retell" end of the scale. You are explaining (with techniques in places) the events and impacts on the characters within the text. This is great, but why does the audience care? For effective analysis, you must take yourself OUT of the text and into the composers shoes. What techniques have been used, and what new understanding do they bring? For effective analysis, go to TEA:

- Technique
- Explain what the Technique Aims to Achieve (Link to Context, potentially)
- Audiences Learn ________

Basically, you don't need any plot details, and you don't even have to mention characters. It should always be, "Austen uses ______ to achieve ______ which shows the audience _______." Rinse, repeat  ;D

I hope this feedback helps a little bit! Again, your ideas are super clever, we just need to adjust how they are expressed to get them to come out properly!  ;D definitely feel free to clarify any of this feedback!